Why Is There Life?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by k.smith904, Jul 9, 2009.

1. What is the purpose of life on Earth?

Not from a spiritual/religious standpoint, but purely science. What is the benefit of living, breathing, organisms on our (and probably other) planets?

My bad if this has been covered...

2. #2 carvershores, Jul 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2009
    I think the purpose of life varies incredibly from life form to life form. Surely a dog does not have the same purpose as a human(although we may share some of the same likes & dislikes). One of the main differences that separates us from the "animals" is that we humans just have the ability to look at the world not only for what it is but for what it could be...

Honestly though, this question has NOT been answered by science and I'm not sure if it ever can be.... The reason I say this is because we ALL have subjective views of the universe and they make us ALL unique(some more than others :p). What one person may consider "heaven" may be completely unsatisfying to another.

*Time is subjective...
    *Consciousness is subjective..
    *Morality is subjective......

It's that subjectivity that makes us each unique and makes us all view the world in totally different ways... Whether you want to see this world as heaven or hell is up to you, the decision is yours(this is a trait that is very unique to humans btw, since I'm almost sure that simpler life forms don't have the advantage of altering their perception of reality(at least not in the way that we can)).

To help reiterate what I mean by our perception of reality being subjective then please read this:

We live in a duality which means:
    *Without darkness we cannot fully appreciate light.
    *Without hate we cannot fully appreciate love.
    *Without silence we cannot fully appreciate sound.
    *Without change there would be no past, present, or future.
    *and finally, without death we cannot fully appreciate life.

An individual could look at all of the bad in the world and be miserable their whole lives thinking that the world is a horrible place. OR you could realize that we live in a duality and that love could NOT exist without the hate. Appreciate the world for all of it's wonders and for what it truly is. Accept the good with the bad and the picture will become a lot clearer. Oh and most importantly, always keep an open mind, since for the most part, none of us know what the hell is going on here!

My purpose in life could be to continue striving for a higher understanding of myself and my environment(since I am part of my environment after all) up until the day I die, or it could simply be to eat, shit, sleep, and die... Like I said, the choice is yours.
    :smoke::smoke:

So what is the purpose of life you ask? Well it's better then you could have ever imagined, it's whatever YOU decide for it to be...
    :wave:

3. Why does there have to be a reason?

4. Because of Causality...

Causality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Asking why something happened and what the purpose of it is are two completely separate questions though...

Why did life happen? I don't think we can ever fully understand that... Probably has something to do with Chaos theory though ;)

What is the purpose of being alive? Well I think my answer above is about as close as we can ever get to a "true" meaning...

5. There is life because the conditions are right, nothing more, nothing less, if the conditions are not met, there is no life.

6. Toke up and listen to this. I think it will help a bit.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kK1YgR7J0g]YouTube - The Origin of God - Douglas Adams[/ame]

You're question sounds like its from the view of the puddle.

7. ^^^
    This

we lucked out

8. Yeah, its just the coincidence of all the right conditions in the right place at the right time.

9. Well said sir, you and I have the same idea except you are much better with words. +rep

10. It could be that life exist purely so that the universe can come to understand itself.

11. The purpose of life is to behead every infidel on the face of the earth.
    :wave:

12. exactly, its actually pretty weird to think of everything like this...simple probability, for example you may ask yourself "why are there snails in my garden"....and the answere would be "because there is nowhere else the snails could be this is the best place for them, snails have gone lots of other places but died, this is y u dont see them there...i was thinking about that when observing a jar full of mycelium "why are they growing here" ...."because you provided them with the enviornment in which they can live"

and then I was thinking could we make new species of plants and animals simply by creating different environments, more extreme enviornments?....because the enviornment defiantly affects how people act

its also weird to think of human and animal life the same as plants...just trying to maintain homeostasis kinda weird

13. this is my most frieghtning thought i have. to think that all this, life ,emotion, and all the rest is just a chance its really sad to think about

14. What came first, the chicken or the egg?

15. Neither in any serious aspect.

They evolved very slowly from early life forms that reproduce Asexually.

16. There isn't any "benefit" to anything.

In the absence of life there aren't really any criteria that could be used to judge what would be beneficial now, are there? If a Sun goes supernova and engulfs its planets in fiery destruction or if it just becomes a white dwarf doesn't really make a difference because it's all just a lot of energy hanging about.

The idea of benefit comes in when you have living things interested in continuing to live deciding what is beneficial and what is not by the standards of what makes life continue to work.

There isn't any why beyond the simple causality of "it happened". Of course, it's a jolly good coincidence that the Universe actually does work for life (Check out Just Six Numbers by Martin Rees for an overview of six physical constants which are just right for life to work out in this Universe) but what that means isn't yet known. Could be an indicator of a grand design, could be an indicator of a multiverse, could mean something else entirely and we're just not clever enough to guess what yet.

17. Obviously the Egg came first, but it came not from a chicken, but a chicken-like creature.

18. no....obviously the chicken came first after evolving from fish,....doy.....there isn't just randomly gunna be an egg laying there lol

19. thats what the scientists working on the super collider are trying to answer,,i havent heard anything from em in awhile,last news was they had to shut it down cuz of a magnet failing and would resume tests in a few weeks-months but that was a good few moths ago.

20. The VERY UNLIKELY coincidence of all the right conditions in the right place at the right time. Our existence is very improbable.