Why is nobody else similar to me?

Discussion in 'General' started by The innovator, Sep 26, 2012.

1. #1 The innovator, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2012
    So I'm 19 second year in college and so far everybody who I've met in my entire life is absolutely nothing like me. Well there have been a few people but due to things going on they aren't really in my life anymore. I'm a really attractive, tall guy (not to be cocky just saying cause no girl has ever turned me down). I don't look it at all but I'm a pretty nerdy guy. I spend hours on the net each day, I love reading, I'm always updated with the news and I'm always down to have a debate about a topic going on in the world. Almost everybody else that I meet is all about finding people to have sex with, watching stupid crap on TV and not caring about what the world really has to offer. I'm a deep person and thinker while everybody else is just so shallow. It's gotten to the point where I just say fuck it and I become antisocial quite often. Why is this the case? What's going on in the world? DO you find this weird for somebody my age?

If I came of sounding cocky or arrogant that was not my point. I'm not sure how else to explain it. I'm not trying to be cocky since I am not a cocky person.

2. You really think with seven billion people on this earth that there is no one with the same interests as you? Dude you're just hanging out with the wrong people probably.

3. I top feel as you do.

I can fake amy social interactio., but I just don't feel it. I wanna meet people who can talk about the same level of things I can, but society as a whole is quite superficial. Most human interaction downright bores me.

Eventually you will find someone on your "wavelength" so to speak and the connection is incredible.

4. soo long story short you think youre better than every one else?

5. Any suggestions on how I can find the right people then?

6. You seem far too arrogant from your original post for me to give you a legitimate answer.

7. This is exactly what I'm talking about. People just don't think anymore. I never said that at all. All I'm saying is why can't I find people who are similar to me?

8. How am I being arrogant? I'm stating facts not saying I'm better than other people. If you think I'm arrogant because I'd rather do online research than watch some crap on MTV then that's a problem.

9. Ok ok ok so I think op we are the same people. But, how do other people see you? How much of this deeper intellectual have you exposed to other people?

10. you didnt directly say it no, but your post reeks or arrogance,
    ooh im smarter than everyone because i watch the news and read books, get real,
    i watch the news and read books doesnt mean i think im better than people who dont

11. You may think that they're not, but chances are there's probably more people who are similar to you than you know. You'll be shocked at how much you don't know about your friends, even your close ones. Everyone wears a different social mask so to speak, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they're like that when they're alone. I guess the only solution to your problem is to get to know more people. Not just make informal chatter, but actually get to know them and how they think and what they believe. Form more close friendships, in other words. You'll likely find someone who thinks like you do.
    Also, not to sound like a dick, but you did sound a little cocky. Just to give you some perspective...
    Anyway good luck! :smoke:

12. I know just how you feel. At college everyone wants make a LOT of friends but you can't find any good ones.

13. Good to hear there is somebody else like me out there! :wave: I'm not sure how people see me right off the bat but all my friends know me as a thinker and not a shallow guy. I've definitely exposed my friends to how intellectual I am but they just aren't really interested in my conversations for the most part. When I say something that's really smart they'll agree with me but they won't have much to say back. :/

14. Interact with people when you go out and do things you like to do..

15. im not surprised

16. Everyone is just like you... Only difference is they are fighting different battles in different realities. Judgement must end. If you are not distracted by the bs being shoved down peoples throat's then great! Now, it's time to help others realize. True friends will come, and stay.

17. I don't think you're getting my point... I never said I'm smarter than other people even though I am more intellectual than most others. (Yes there is a difference between the two). My point is that I don't meet people who have common interests.

18. because you probably bore them half to death letting them know how "intellectual" you are and they end up having no interest in finding out if you have any common interests with them.

read your original post again, if you cant see how arrogant you sounded, then start working on that and maybe then youll get better at making friends, people dont generally like arrogance

19. I've tried talking to my close friends about this sort of stuff but they just don't care about deep thinking or they just don't have it in them. Half the stuff I say just goes way over a lot of people's heads. I guess I will just try meeting new people to boost my chances of finding a person with similar interest. Sorry if I came off that way I'm just frustrated and I don't really know how else to word it while getting my point across.

20. #20 Hello there!, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2012
    [quote name='"The innovator"']

I don't think you're getting my point... I never said I'm smarter than other people even though I am more intellectual than most others. (Yes there is a difference between the two). My point is that I don't meet people who have common interests.[/quote]

Intellectuals satisfy their thirst for knowledge through multiple facets. The web is great, but only one way to learn. If you truly want to meet like-minded people, get off the internet and go do things that pique your curiosity. Stop dwelling on the fact that you're surrounded by a bunch of people you don't feel connected to, and actively make the connections you want. If you're at college, there should be plenty of opportunities for this. Check your campus' different clubs, see what activities they're participating in/hosting, and pick a couple to start out with.

Growth requires trial and error.

Also to be fair, if your approach to others is anything like what you've demonstrated here, most people, intellectuals included, will quickly turn away. The key to learning from other people is to have an open and inviting mind. Don't just spew what you know, ask what they think first. If you disagree, say why and ask their opinion. Give and take.