Why is my Durban sad? With pics

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by joebobcat, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Hello all,

This is my first grow and I have done a lot of research on my symptoms before posting,
    but I'm not confident that I've figured out what the problem is with my Durban Poison so
    I'm turning to grass city for help.

Here's what I've got:
    Rooftop outdoor grow in the bay area with a self-built hoop house for wind protection. It
    is never fully closed or the temps would shoot way up. Humidity is low in the bay area
    and our temps fluctuate from 60s to high 70s.

I have about 20 plants of various strains in 5 gallon buckets filled with roots organic soil
    and some with fox farm ocean floor. Durban has been growing strong since the start of
    June and I began feeding with tiger bloom after she started flowering. Recently she has
    been drooping and paling. This started at the top of the central stalk and appears to be
    spreading. The bottom branches still seem robust and strong.

Before this started I made the beginner mistake of using the recommended heavy
    feeding dosage for about a week and a half and backed off when I realized I might be
    giving too much too soon. Things were still looking okay for a week of plain water. I top
    dressed with a bit of hydro organics earth juice grow and soon after she started going
    downhill. I flushed twice, let my soil dry and have been keeping
    her on plain water since, but nothing has changed. The leaves look pale and lifeless
    and some have small gray or brown spots on the undersides as well as on the leaf
    fringe.

I am not checking ph because i am a beginner and there are so many variables with our
    grow that I have not justified spending money on one . . . yet. been letting nature take
    it's course. I am confused as to why only durban was affected like this although I treat
    them all equally. Is this a ph issue, is it watering, nutrient lockout, what?! I do have leaf
    fringe curling on another and it is the last picture of the group

[​IMG]

Full plant shot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a chem 4 with leaf fold. Over nuteing?

[​IMG]

And just for kicks here's an ATF in full flower
    [​IMG]

Thanks for your help!

2. I think this is the result of nutrient overdose. Sometimes plants never fully recover. It is always important to monitor ph. A test kit costs less than five bucks. Also, your water may have a high tds that is making it difficult to mix your additives correctly. The water needs to be slightly acidic and adding more than 500 ppm of nutrient to your water in regular feedings can be risky when growing in soil. Always consider the amount of plant-value that you are working with: a tds meter and ph test kit will eliminate guesswork and improve your yield. This way, each time you grow, you will know where you are going.

If I were in your situation, I would start using some kind of distilled or reverse osmosis water and be careful not to let them get soggy. I would also take a pencil and punch a few holes in the soil to let them breath better. They don't appear to me to be under-fertilized, just stressed. I would leave them on water for another week and then give them some superthrive or floralicious at a rate of about 6 drops per gallon to perk them up. I hope this helps but it would be prudent to get several opinions. What has worked for me may not work for others and I have never grown Durban.

I would immediately separate that plant in the last picture from the others before it spreads something. It appears sick but it may be too close to harvest time to do anything about it.

3. Thanks. my leaves haven't perked up a ton, but they're looking better and the bud development seems to be continuing nicely. The height of the plant was definitely stunted, but there's no use crying over spilled milk, I'm just glad it's still alive!