why is my dog doing this.

Discussion in 'Pets' started by DoctorReefer, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Hi, my family owns an 8 year old miniature doxin. she used to love going for long walks around the neighborhood or park near me. however, a while a go she started wanting to turn back very early in the walk. now, she gets excited to go for walks but everytime we leave, no matter what direction we go in she wants to turn around after a certain distance and you can not get her to go with you?

i have no idea how to fix this problem she is getting fat please help

2. Sounds like two short walks would do as well as one long one! Whatever is bugging your dog should be taken care of by taking two shorter walks! Deal with it! FYI- I trust animal instincts, far more than human instincts! Pay attention to what your dog is "saying" to you !:cool:

Granny :wave:

3. thanks granny, but these walks are like going two houses away and coming back. That's like talking a dog out to go poop, not to go for a walk. She used to go so far before getting tired out and she loved it. now, she still walks with that same enthusiasm but always comes to a sudden stop early on and never wants to go. sometimes we have been able to coax her and she seems fine for the rest of the walk, usually making it around the circle but she never wants to go twice.

4. Maybe your dog wants something new, after walking around the block so many times for what seems like no point, he/she prolly doesn't want to waste time for no reason.
    Try taking your dog to a local park and just walk around in circles there, perhaps a change of scenary is all you need.
    You could also crumble little pieces of a treat and try to coax your dog with that, maybe with a little motivation, your dog will feel more willing to walk again ..
    Just some ideas, hope it works out

5. i will try the treat idea, but its not a scenery problem, she usually goes to the park, which is very large and surrounded with various neighborhoods to go around if she wants. their is also our neighborhood and another one across from us that she goes to. she went around the block today though so hopefully the problem will fix itself as the weather gets warmer.

6. Take a piece of meat with you, then throw it fifty feet towards where you wanna go. Betcha twenty bucks that dog will forget about its desire to go back home, if only temporarily.

7. in my opinion, feeding and giving treats will encourage the odd behavior.

Look into the dogs eyes for cloudyness. My dog has vision problems and would literally get lost when you walked 5 feet away and suddenly start following his scent home.

We wouldn't know he was gone because it would happen RIGHT away.

if it's vision, that could be fixed by keeping them on leash or getting the surgery or eyedrops.

It could be mental though... then you'll need the dog whisperer. Try watching his show. It's not a joke, his stuff works.

8. Something ain't right. The dog is telling you something.

There is an underlying cause for a dog to do this. Loss of energy can be a signal of something larger happening. The dog is 8 years old - 56 people years, medical stuff happens.

<file under:> for what it's worth.

9. If it seems her energy is changing or her weight gain is rapid, I would take her to a vet to ensure she is doing okay health-wise. Pets tend to become less active in their "senior" years which could explain the weight gain and an adjustment of diet might be necessary. Also, are you taking her for walks before or after you feed her? I walk dogs at the local shelter and one of the dogs will walk maybe 2 blocks before stopping and refusing to go any further if he hasn't been fed yet. Did she have a bad experience with a dog on the block during a walk? This could be it too. Lots of factors. If you can't figure out what's going on I'd take her to the vet.

10. Could have a hip problem my dog did. It was a bigger pug