Why is marijuana illegal????

Discussion in 'General' started by Darkhaz3, Apr 5, 2008.

1. im blazed right now and something so obvious and simple just came to me...

i was thinking why marijuana is illegal, yet alcohol is legal.
    people can drive high but not drunk, right?
    it seems like alcohol is alot more dangerous and impairs judgement and reaction alot more than marijuana.
    alcohol can make people violent and escalate situations, while marijuana just makes people relaxed and hungry.

i just dont get it

• Like Like x 1
  2. there is so fuckin much that could be said about this....hundred of articles.....thousands of opinions

it's illegal, probably will always be, and your wrong for smoking it

i'm serious, you're wrong.

3. There are so many reasons.

Hemp harvesting technology was greatly advanced in the mid 1930s, as a 1938 issue of Popular Science labeled hemp the new "billion dollar industry".

DuPont paper wouldn't have it, and investor's nephew Anslinger goes to congress. The terms cannabis or hemp are never used, but a new foreign term "marijuana" is introduced to play off racist American ideals.

The drug was said to make black people stare at white women, cause white women to dance with blacks, and it made black people think up crazy jazz music. These are all Anslinger's words.

It was taxed and eventually outlawed.

Today, cannabis poses a threat to several other industries. Hemp is a wondrous plant that is easily renewable and provides better sources of ethanol, fabrics, paper, and medicine than the competing substitutes.

The government knows it is safe, for example the government sponsored Shafer commission recommended the legalization and sale of small amounts of marijuana in 1970. The modern "war on drugs" was started, IMO, as a method of controlling the people. It was initiated during the "hippy" uprisings in opposition to the war, and what better way to legally incarcerate and villainize the protesters than to criminalize a key substance to their movement :smoking:

Realistically, I think it is Big-pharma and the alcohol/tobacco lobbyists that are funding its continued prohibition.

I'm sure there is an article out there explaining it all, look on Erowid.org

4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGKeq2HrBxA

Watch all the parts to that video, explains everything. Basicly its because we have alot of racist people in America and Mexicans and Black people were not liked much back then and smoke weed, so they targeted weed, made it illegal and now mexicans were being arrested for possesion.

5. Let's not start another thread about this. They're all exactly the same, every time.

6. amen to that.

have you read "the emperor wears no clothes" by jack herer

7. Your right how many of you have heard about anheuser bush spending millions and millions to stop the the movement? it would hurt them to much so dont drink beer from that distributer

8. A lot of it is probably inertia and the gov't being unwilling to admit it's been wrong for the past 70 years.

9. its cuz of the mormons!

10. because mexicans turn crazy when they smoke the devil weed.

doubt it?

11. Weed's illegal?? fuuuuuuuuuuuck

since when? this seriously ruins my day

12. Seriously. There is too much information about how marijuana was made illegal. Making a thread and saying it shouldnt be illegal isn't original...

We've all thought about this already man.

13. Legislators think voting against legalization will help get them reelected, and the Christians amongst them believe it's the Christian thing to do. :mad: morons!

14. Haha. Supposedly it started because a load of kids were smoking joints in some backyard and the parents were outraged. Rediculous right wing christian and parent pressure groups created anti-marijuana propoganda based on completely misdirecting and made up information (you've all seen reefer madness). These pressure groups would then lobby governments to get their way. Over the years the bureau of narcotics was formed and it was often a necessary stance for candidates running for election to back the war on marujuana fully because that's what the massivley ill-informed silent majority wanted. The silent majorities information was based on the false propoganda given to them by the initial pressure groups. This is how it became deemed as deviant by society and its very difficult to reverse this process. Not impossible however as history teachers us in many similar situations.

Seriously :) i study this shit in school. I can give well respected studies to back this up.

Me and my mates love talking about it in class because our teacher knows we all blaze :smoking:

Ask me if you wanna know more, i got all the shit in my notes. I should be revising anyway.

15. marijuana is illegal because of mexicans

marijuana was real big in mexico, and america wanted to deter mexicans from coming over by making marijuana illegal to have here

so u can thank the mexicans, or more importantly the oldschool racist government who refuses to change the law now that they arent racist since they made up so much shit about weed that it would be proposterous to all of a sudden admit that they're wrong and what the real reason weed was made illegal in the first place really was

opium was made illegal to prevent chinese immigration too

the government knows alcohol is horrible, thats the reason they tried to make it illegal, but since it continued and was american made they made it legal again

16. Because we've failed to make enough noise.

If you went back in time and removed the right people, you might return and see posts like, "Why are blacks and whites still segregated?", "Why are we still in Vietnam/S.E. Asia?". But you don't have to now, because that generation had the audacity to make a stand.

17. because the once/still racist gov doesnt want to admit they wasted billions of dollars and spread lies to its citizens.

even if mike gravel (ps vote for him) became pres i doubt legalization would pass in congress, cause the gov is looking for ways to make $ not help its citizens