Why is it so expensive?

Discussion in 'General' started by Pot Toker, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Come on people, it's a plant! I shouldn't have to sit here and decide if I should save my last few bucks or smoke it up. I can barely afford to get by as it is, and if I feel like smoking I have to decide whether to satisfy that urge or have some money to go out and do shit with people. Does anyone else hate having to put so much effort into judging whether or not now is the right time to toke?

/rant :)

2. Because it's illegal
    illegal = black market prices (yeah?)
    Supply & Demand.

They make it 20 bucks a gram because they know people will still buy it. We like to get high.

3. Well im pretty well off so i can toke it up whenever. But i know where youre coming from. Thats the way it is though :/.

4. Considering the benefits of it, I'd say your complaining is a bit undeserved.

5. I understand how the black market works and why it is expensive. I'm not sure how to explain what I meant. Like, it only brings happiness and understanding to people. It's not something that you should have to sacrifice other things for, yet that's what people like myself have to do all the time to appreciate it.

6. Well dont blame him. Weed is worth more ounce per ounce then gold (the union) xD. And yeah he just put a thread up for peoples opinions on the subject. But it is worth buying pot. It has awesome benefits and effects.

7. Because you will pay for it

8. yea someone is putting their life at risk to supply you weed if you dont have the self control to save your last few dollars for food and not weed you really need to grow up. come on dude 20 bucks isnt shit. i make 20 an hour. i will spend one hour of my day to buy a half eigth of dank that will last me 3 or 4 days that plant they grew prolly took 4 months to grow they porlly harvested 3 zips off it they spent an entire day supplying light, nutes, and proper conditions to supply me with killer bud

9. Pshh, weed is cheap compared to other drugs.

10. #10 JackfrostOG, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2011
    because money runs the world and people will do anything (almost) to get money
    and people like to spend money

11. Exactly this.

Stop your whining, OP.

12. I understand the economics behind the drug trade, I don't need anyone to explain it to me. The question was meant to be rhetoric. I never said anything about not being able to provide for my basic needs, I'm talking about the extra cash I have. Also, I'm sure it's much easier for you to say that making 20 dollars an hour. Try working for minimum wage for a while.

I'm not sure why I have to defend myself though. I created this thread for discussion, not insults. Lots of angry stoners on GC tonight.

13. How was that rhetorical? You didn't try and persuade me to see your perspective at all... unless you mean you make a thread, asking a 'rhetorical' question that ISN'T supposed to be answered (which I expect you figure is the extent of rhetorical language) in hopes of generating a discussion. :confused:

I'm not angry, though. I'm just sayin'. ;) I know what you mean though, I have extra cash and what do I do? I end up owing my friend, who chops, for weed. Fuck, I am in debt. That's why I am on a massive break so I can accumulate funds to pay him back before sinking deeper into his wallet.

14. And you're still getting ripped the hell off. Grow yourself and after your harvest tell me $20 a g is a fair price. Or even anywhere near a close to reasonable price.

15. #15 Ska, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2011
    Come on now I know your bright enough to realize it gets passed down between 2-4+ hands before it gets to you normally?

That price goes up every time it's passed between hands, each person taking a cut of the risk profit. Is it really what the products worth? Not at all, your paying for all the risk. A g would probably be $5 if dealers had no repercussions.

16. #16 Renegade Angel, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Very good point.

17. Damn dude way to come off like an ass. 20 dollars aint shit? Who cares if you make 20 dollars an hour, some of us aren't as fortunate as you and we have to stretch money as best we can.

18. It was mentioned already, but the high price is due to the number of dealers it goes through before it gets to you. I honestly dont think that growing is that difficult of a task, either. I'm not saying it's easy or doesn't require a lot of effort, but compared to some jobs that's pretty nice. Growing and curing a plant as opposed to moving furniture all day.

I think a lot of people realize this. If it were legal to grow and/or possess, imagine how cheap it would be! Unfortunately it isn't, but why even bother with dealers? I think that the people could create a nationwide underground distribution ring, which would basically remove middle men. What's the government going to do when its people have created something so large that they can't even begin to destroy it?

I don't even know if that makes sense, but it took a long time to write on an itouch haha.

19. I've bought weed in FL for half as much, but maybe it wasn't as good as the shit you get? We pay 15-20 a gram for mids where I'm from. If we get something like piff or Jack Herer, They'll charge 25. You can still pay 20 for a .7 or .8. The only really honest dealer I've had is one I found at work who sells weighed out grams of northern lights for 20. I think thats just pathetic, because I know people in other places pay less for the same amount.

20. where are you located?