Why is it growing so slow??

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by StonedSnakes, May 13, 2016.

1. #1 StonedSnakes, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
    So my plant is a northern lights auto feminised from vision seeds. The soil is a seed and cuttings soil from wickes that I read was great for cannabis and it's in a 30l pot, I water whenever the top 2 inches is dry. So the plant is 15 days old but compared to pictures on the web of other plants it's age it seems to be almost half the size it should be. I don't know whether I should be worried since it looks pretty healthy. image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. So it's two weeks old since you put the seed in soil or since it popped out of soil? In my experience it'll start taking off from this stage.

3. Since it popped out of the soil

4. If it looks healthy I wouldn't worry too much. My White Widow started out suuuuper slowly, but it started picking up.

• Like Like x 2
  5. What he said ^. My white widow x big bud was half the size of the other 3 plants in my tent but now it's about the same.

I just went and looked at my journal at 12 days after popped from soil and they're definitely a lot different but hey, they're all different. The only advice I'd give is make sure you have a little fan or breeze on it and it could probably use a little more light.

6. It's an outdoor plant so it's definitely getting a lot of light and breeze. But I think you're right about me not worryin, hopefully it'll catch up on growth soon

7. Plants almost always prioritize root growth over foliage. Mary Jane knows what she's doing. Just let her do her thing, and when she's ready, she'll start growing.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 2 things will speed faster growth.. Plant in small cups and let the plants get root bound before transplanting..
    I start in a 3x3x3 inch squares and that can support a 12 inch tall plant.. The fastest growth is when the plant has nearly stuffed the pot with roots and needs watered every day.. That combined with a warm room and bright lights and I have to move the lights up a link or 2 every day.. This set is all in 5x5x7deep..
    [​IMG]
    T5 high output lights and a termite eaten garden shed for 16-8 lights.. Time matched they'll go outside to veg for the rest of summer on June 1st.. Runs about 20 degrees hotter in the shed with the lights.. It'll be much to hot during summer in here but for now it kicks ass..
    BNW

9. It's an autoflower so I read that you're supposed to plant it in its final home from the beginning

10. Ya my bad I just realized that.. Likely the same general issues to wet.. Run photoperiods they can take a lot more abuse and still crop big..
    BNW

• Like Like x 1
  11. Correct. Do not try to transplant autos. Yes, you can do it, and yes, people have topped their autos... But I think at a loss to yield. Also, when the plants are that small, they need very little water until they start drinking more, it could be your genetics but it could also be that it's kind of water logged. Definitely keep it moist but if it's not drying out a bit in between watering it could be too much.

Either way, I agree - just give it some time and it will start to take off ;)

12. May be the slightest bit stunted due to colder temps. Would day they still look healthy an coming along. The stunt may have slowed the process down but does not look to severe. Just an opinion.

Sent from my D6603 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. At what temperature does cannabis get stunted, you could be right since when I planted it the temp dropped to 5c

14. If they are auto flowers 10c is kinda your number to watch for some strains can handle a little colder and vise versa. But I'd say minor stunt is your problemo.

Sent from my D6603 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. Plants have to have a root system. When you put a germinated seed into soil, the very first thing it does is start to build it's root system. Until this happens, the foliage doesn't do much and it certainly doesn't use very much water. Once the roots are established, you will see the foliage start to grow and as the plant gets larger, it will use more water. The larger the container that a new seedling is planted into, the longer it takes to get the root system together. Just leave it alone and let it do it's thing. But you DO NOT need to water the plant anymore until it has a chance to use up the probable gallons it's already sitting in. That is why your plant is no larger than it is at this point and if you'll just go away, it will do it's thing and pick up and grow. Keep on with the constant watering like you've been doing and you're going to kill it probably. Your soil has slow release fertilizers in it so it needs ONLY ph'd water for awhile. When it does get some size on it, and that time will come, and it's used up the nutes in the soil, then you can start a feeding schedule....starting with a much more diluted version than what the nute makers recommend. It's not nutes that determine whether you get a big healthy plant...its light. If you're growing outside and your plant is given all the sunlight it can handle, you should end up with a really nice plant. But they don't need a lot of help from you if you've given them good soil, water and light and they do everything at their pace....not yours. Good luck with it. TWW

16. #16 StonedSnakes, May 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 14, 2016
    Thanks for the reply but I honestly don't water it that much maybe every 3 days or so and even when I do water I don't water the whole pot just a small area around the plant so I don't think it's from watering, but you're right I'll just let it do its thing