Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Why is isopropyl alcohol used for cleaning.

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by ElmSt, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Why is isopropyl(sp?) alcohol used instead of just a normal household washing detergent?

2. Detergent ALWAYS leaves a residue, even if you cant see it, and is fileld with gross chemicals. Alcohol evaporates.
    Alcohol also absorbs THC, which is why its so good for making tinctures, hash, and for cleaning. Its a good solvent, soap and water dont even come close in terms of how well ISO cleans.

3. Alcohol absorbs THC, which is the chief bonding agent in resin.

4. So whatever you're cleaning doesn't taste like soap and because it cleans better.

5. Thanks for the replys guys.

I know of course that ISO is a much better agent for cleaning your piece but I just needed some points so that I could translate to some other people as to why I need ISO to clean instead of Soap+Water.

6. iso is a solvent, which dissolves the oils built up in ze smoking apparatus. Soap n water will not do the job. Add salt before applying iso for ultimate cleaning power.

7. Tar is the chief bonding agent in 'resin' (it's tar, not resin) but thankfully tar is also soluble in alcohols.