Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Why is incense such a stoner thing?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by stilllearning, Apr 5, 2012.

1. I bought some incense the other day and my dad called them "marijuana sticks". Why is it associated with weed so often?

2. I always seen it as an annoying "holy fuck I cant breathe" thing.

3. Many people used to use "patchouli" scented incense back in the day before aerosol air freshener and all that, since that smell in particular masked the marijuana odor very well :smoke:

Calling them "marijuana sticks" is taking it pretty extreme though. lol

4. It's usually associated with smell cover up. When I was younger I actually got caught because I was burning some nag.

Also hippies? Maybe?

And again; Also every headshop I've ever been in has a crazy selection of incense.

5. I prefer my oil warmer. :)

And my mom used incense in the basement when I was younger. Because she was smoking down there. That's why I associate them with marijuana.

6. Incense has been used so much to cover up the smell of cannabis that its use is pretty cliche and stereotypical. When I was little, my older sister would use it to hide cigarette smell though.

7. It smells good, and hippies like candles because they provide a good atmosphere, incense sticks are similar to candles so BAM!

8. I prefer to burn some sage in an abalone shell
    [​IMG]

good tool for cleansing gems and crystals of negative energy....

9. My parents have a candle warmer and it is fantastic.

I prefer candles, honestly.

Wide variety of scents, plus candles create a nice atmosphere.

Edit: But generally, stoners have used incense to cover up the smell. My friend uses it in her apartment.

10. It started back in the 60's when people began burning incense to mask the smell of weed, and to add atmosphere. Since then, it has become a cliche association with stoners/hippies.

11. Yeah, usually because it's a good excuse and covers up the smell.

12. I tend to agree with you. I never liked burning incense when smoking, I prefer the marijuana smell personally.

13. religions have used incense for years....hindus, jews, bhuddists, christians, so just say its religous and some still use it with herb

14. Initially it was used in temples and such to help get into a spiritual place, more avidly used to cover up smells in the modern day.

I still burn incense bc the smells are awesome and varied as well as how much fun it is to be baked and watch the whorls of smoke in the air. Like art in motion :D

15. Because it covers up the smell of weed.

16. I like and use incense to get into a better meditative mood..plus the smell.

17. yeah the smell from incense is overwhelming and candles could provide adequate fragrance for the normal situation. There are few reasons besides covering up smell because there are better alternatives for the other situations.

18. Did you think about this question, before posting it on the internet?
    They are called "marijuana sticks" because of the same reason you bought them...

To cover up the smell of weed..

19. [quote name='"ydidimakeths420"']Did you think about this question, before posting it on the internet?
    They are called "marijuana sticks" because of the same reason you bought them...

To cover up the smell of weed..[/quote]

I wanted to know the origin.

20. Cuz weed is illegal, while the smell of incense is not:smoke: