Why is God always referred to as a "He"?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Seeker, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Wouldn't it be much more rational to conclude that God has no gender and therefore is an It?

Assuming that many calling God a he they're propagating that It has a penis..

I'm so messed up right now..:smoking:

Now, I do understand that many call God a "He" due to the Bible referring to It as The Father. But, I have been noticing a rather frequent trend of Atheists' referring to God as a "He". Is it because of the Brainwashing sexism that religion has handed down to us through the ages? What do you think?

Discuss :rolleyes:.

2. When god was made up by humans men were dominant ;)

3. shit the human race is reffered to as man.

4. #4 Sam_Spade, Mar 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2009
    Largely, it comes from the patriarchal worldview on the origins of Abrahamic religions.

As a tentative agnostic-atheist, refering to God as a male, is usually most accurate when discussing monotheistic religion, because most of the time, that IS the view of the follower of the monotheistic religion.

EDIT: Besides, personally, If a supreme being does exist; only a man could fuck up this badly.

5. I assumed it was because man was made in god's image according to creation story. Women were made from man's rib. So it was like this god - man - woman. But the more likely reason is sexism imo. I'm not sure about other religions referring to god as he but i wouldn't doubt it.

6. lol i read that as "god damn woman"

7. God is neither man or woman. It is the balance between them two.

8. because thats how the yellow flower got its name.

9. People consider God male because the Bible refers to God as a male throughout, and I'd bet my life savings that the Koran and Torah do too. In various places in the Bible he may be referred to as Alpha and Omega or some other vague label, but the vast majority of the time God is a guy.

Male-dominated societies came up with the male god, so ya might as well stick with it. I'm an atheist and when I refer to gods in conversation I generally stick with the genders that are already in place. Therefore the God of Christianity is a he, Artemis of Greek mythology is a she, and the god of deism is an it.

10. i do think that God should be referred to as an 'It', because it's more of a force, not man or woman.. :smoke:
    but it's been like that for a long time, and it probably will continue to be the same..

11. Because men wrote the Bible.

12. God means a man
    Godness means a woman.

there you go.

13. #13 Minimal It, Mar 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2009
    God only means man because we assigned God that label.... just because we refer to God as a man does not mean it is... God is probably not even human.. but a force

14. i am god...nice to meet you

15. U are me, nice to meet I.

16. Because he has a penis.

17. It probably sounded better to the men who fictitiously wrote it.

18. The god that Christianity, well OT, created it says that god created Adam in the image of himself. thus they have confined God to the miniscule idea known as man. the Christian God cannot exist as they say, that god is too limited to the confines of man to control the universe.

19. Gods not a woman........

He's a biiiiiiiitch