why is glass the best bong material?

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by annarborking, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Hey, sorry if this is a noob question but: Why is glass the best material for bong? I've had a mini roor perc. w/ a carbon filter for the past year and I want to add another larger bong to my collection but while I was at the headshop looking for some new glass my friend asked me this same question and I was embarassed I couldn't answer. I know they look the best and you can see the smoke fill the chamber, but is that it? Once again I apologize if this is a stupid question.

2. yes. so that you can see the smoke. but also. glass is one of the most inert things ever. you can make it as hot as u want and it will never give off any chemicals and such.

3. no harmful chemicals....simple as that.

well it does look really cool

4. smoother hits then acrylic. simple as that.

5. Can hold liquid and gas, can be heated reasonably without no problem, has no taste of its own, versatile, looks cool. What more do you need?

6. you are all wrong, its a conspiracy. they make bongs out of glass so that they will eventually break so you the "CONSUMER" have to buy another to replace it. nothing is what it seems my friend.

7. Better than chocolate or butter

8. The main reason is that it is much cleaner then other alternatives such as metals and plastics. When glass is heated to extreme temperatures, it remains completely inert; it does not oxidize or react like other substances do. Even metals, with such high melting points, will oxidize slightly when heated. That isn't preferred. It is probably healthier to use wrapping papers or blunts then smoke out of metal pieces.

Anyway, glass also looks sick and there is a ton of artistry to to it.

9. i guess they chance it, and just get super pissed when people never break a glass piece then, huh?
    ive only broken one and it was deffinately out of my own stupidity

10. Another reason that glass on glass (g on g) is so popular as opposed to glass on plastic or glass on wood is because together it creates a nearly perfect seal. Pulling air from outside of the pipe into the chambers and then up the tube requires that the amount of pull be maximized to be able to take the biggest hit. If the seals of bongs were not as close to perfect as g on g then they would almost be rendered useless

11. To sum it all up....

-Creates an air tight seal
    -Can be made into any color of choice
    -Endless possibilities when it comes to what you can do
    -Very easy to manipulate when it is under extreme heat
    -Not a very expensive material
    -Non Toxic