Why Is Everyone Hating On Under The Dome?

Discussion in 'Television/Internet TV/VOD/DVD' started by MrFeelGood, Aug 21, 2014.

1. I've followed this show all the way through and i gotta say, i am hooked. People are really harsh on that show and for the life of me i just can't see it. Considering i watched the pilot expecting it to be a giant pile of crap considering how ridiculous the premise is, it really caught me off guard with how good it was. But all i can find is people hating on it like its boring, or it lacks continuity, and im like, are you even watching the same show here? Is there some other under the dome i dont know about?

2. I read Stephen kings under the dome it was pretty sick...

3. Yeah he actually directed the season 2 premiere. It seems like they're going a different direction though. its good that they got Steven King to help write it

4. I fucking love it. Haven't heard many people hating on it. I just can't get enough. I wish there was already like 6 seasons that I could watch on netflix. It's torturous having to wait a week after every episode. I love all the plot twists they throw in. It keeps it fresh.

5. i just think its cheesy. not my cup of tea. my mom loves it though.

6. I think it's addicting because there's always some crazy new shit happening..not sure how many seasons it will be able to last though..hopefully a lot because I like it. It sort of reminds me of Lost with all the ridiculous plot twists and unthinkable shit lol

7. I hated it, watched a few.

8. Watched first episode

I think the reason I don't watch it is because it's not on netflix

Omega369

9. Have yet to watch. If it was on netflix it would raise the odds in me seeing it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. Yea I watch it, I rate it like lost wish I hadn't watched first episode, cause the whole thing is ridiculous, but like lost I watched every episode and was still none the wiser at the end of it lol

11. I watched about half of the first season and couldn't get into it. I didn't care for the characters and the acting is lacking severely which is disappointing because I found the plot to be very interesting. I might give it another shot one if these days

12. This show reminds me a lot of how I feel about walking dead, although I'll say the walking dead is definitely a little better. They took really good ideas and tried to make them happen but they're both not gritty enough. They can't curse, really. People would be dropping f bombs left and right if there was a giant fucking done. People aren't doing crazy wreck less shit like hooking up with mad random people, doing mad drugs, and committing crimes which would ultimately happen a lot more. Plus the way they just introduce a problem, solve it in an hour and never address it again. Just feels like stuff works out too well and like a lot of conflict is only introduced to create a quick dramatic resolution which is a little cheaper. Overall, kind of like with lost I'm hooked cause I want to know what happens next. If the ending is anything like the book then I'm pumped but I can't imagine they're gonna be able to do something that dark.

13. There's no denying it's a bit shit.

I've watched every episode so far though, and will watch the next season when it starts up :smoking:

14. After reading the book, the attempts to drag this story out longer than it was intended has hurt it. The book is good and has a semi-logical wind-up at the end. It goes on as long as it makes sense to. Still, its better than no science fantasy on TV..

15. I watched the first season and liked it a lot

But [spoiler alert] all the interesting characters end up dead almost immediately! There were so many times in the first season when it looked like they were setting up a power struggle that could sustain a story arc for like half a season, but then one of the people would get killed by the end of the episode!

Case in point: Leon Rippy's character, Ollie Dinsmore. He had all the propane in town and Big Jim needed it. Ollie was going to extort the fuck out of Big Jim. There are a few skirmishes, a couple of henchmen get shot. Big Jim hadn't gone full evil at this point, holding public hangings, etc. So how's he going to get this propane? Well, instead of tease it out over a few episodes, they decided, "Nope, let's just kill Ollie."

There was Dodee, the girl who worked at the radio station. She discovers Big Jim's evil side and could possibly expose him. "Naw, let's just have Big Jim shoot her point-blank instead of her escaping and somehow trying to tip off some of the other characters."

There were so many sub-plots where if you paused it and wrote your own continuation or a resolution, it would come out ten times better than how it played out on television. The writers just saw all the kudos other shows were getting for not being afraid to kill off major characters and they were like, "We'll do you one better, we'll kill off all the characters!"

16. I cannot speak to why they kill off extra characters like dodee since those are by definition throw-away characters anyways. However Big Jim needs to kill at least a half dozen people so that (this being a Stephen King story) he can have a big Christine-like finish (death) with all of this victims coming back to haunt. If that is true, I suspect you will be seeing your dead favorites sooner than you think..