Why Is Cannabis Illegal?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by ThePlatinumStoner, May 20, 2014.

1. Post all theories as to why you think Cannabis is illegal. There are a ton of them. There is no dumb answer.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Because the government can make it that way unfortunately. Who are they to tell us what we can and can't do to ourselves. But as to why, money.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Why can't we spend OUR money on something less harmful than cigarettes and alcohol?

4. For the same reason why alcohol was once illegal and why many drugs remain illegal.

Lots of drugs produce negative effects on society- if everyone took drugs all of the time, humanity would never progress, people would have no incentive to do work. Lots of drugs also encourage careless and poor decision making. Marijuana was once considered one of these drugs when little research was done to prove it otherwise and that's why it is illegal, but as you can see, more research is being done and as more and more people are informed about it and more research becomes available, its legality will increase.

It takes time for laws to change, it doesn't happen over a few years. People will be observing the effects that making weed legal has caused in Washington and Colorado and if generally positive or not a significant amount of negative effects, one could expect the legality of it to increase throughout the country.

5. Because it makes you like jazz music.

6. And black guys

Sent From My Penis Using Grasscity Mobile App

7. Because it was invented by a communist and america just ain't having that shit.

8. Lol. Good answers though. I always thought it dated back to slave time. When they smoked they didn't do work (not being a racist)

9. Because stoners aren't about to wage war on the streets like alcohol enthusiasts during prohibition.

We just smoke in peace

10. #11 MunchiesMan78, May 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2014
    And also because it makes a black man step on a white man's shoe!
    Oh! And don't forget that reefer makes a black man look at a white man twice! Twice! Oh, the horror!

11. Also, reefer makes you kill people in cold blood! Haven't you seen that movie? Reefer madness? Everything they talk about in that movie is true, you know.

12. Plausible reasons:

1. Because it would make "3rd world" countries that produce massive amounts of it richer than the rest of the world wants them to be.\t
    2. The gov makes more money by jailing young minorities such as latinos and african americans.\t
    3. The profit margins for cartels and corrupt govs are much greater when it is not legal.\t
    4. Big tobacco.\t
    5. Old mentality of prior generations. :hippie:

13. Sounds legit.

14. Cannabis is a mega industry.   It single handed competes against all of the following industries:

Petroleum
    Corn
    Alcohol
    Tobacco

I'm sure there are a ton of others as well.  Directly or indirectly.

They all band together to keep cannabis/hemp illegal.

15. Which I think is super stupid

16. #17 Tree Of Life, May 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2014
    Because if it was legal nobody would need pharmaceuticals anymore.

17. The cotton and lumber industries also.

Hence the marijuana tax act of '37... OP The answer to your question is a fun history lesson. The industries listed above lobbied to outlaw cannabis.

Fast forward to today...
    Some of these groups are now looking to get cannabis (or better yet a patented variant/extract of) just legal enough to profit wildly while still prohibiting the average citizen from rightful access.

Both then and now... It's all about the money!

18. isn't our whole world based on money? :/

Ask me anything. I smoke to get high because the world is so low

19. Politics and health aside,if i can draw a crazy analogy there are a lot of couples that stay together when they know they shouldn,t,there is a global adiction to petrochemicals when there are viable alternatives the point i,m making is this inbuilt human concept that change is something to be feared 'better the Devil you know,having smoked since the late 70s I would like to think the continued lack of acceptance is as a result of this changephobia as opposed to more sinister reasons, although even if this IS the case Frankly It,s small F""""ing comfort LOL:  Peace fellow outcasts AAS