Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Why im quitting weed...

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by DDreams, Nov 23, 2013.

1. #1 DDreams, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2013
    I remember it like yesterday, taking my first hit and flying through air with this intense euphoria

A few weeks later, I had an intense panic attack where I smoked about 1 gram of weed because  I couldn't feel anything then in a few minutes I was so high, I was seeing layer over layer vision, I thought I was dying. my body was stabbing. I called an ambulance and I realised it was just a panic attack.. my first ever.
    I have been smoking weed pretty much every day with ease after that, id smoke when id get home, smoke in the weekends, days, for years.
    Till something scary happened a few months ago.
    When I would take a hit and enjoy the high, when I would get up, my memory would just go blank (more then usual) and I would be completely disoriented to where I am. I could be standing in the kitchen, and I would keep forgetting where I am or what im doing. It sounds like depersonalization but more intense. Its like my mind would go somewhere and come back within a second but it would feel like it took ages.

The scariest feeling was when I woke up one day and I was so worried about this memory thing, it started happening intensely, when I walked to my doctor, the whole journey felt made up, like a dream. I couldn't focus, I kept forgetting but remembering within seconds, I thought I was genuinely dying..
    I was very frightened so I went to my doctor and he said it sounds like ive created a cycle where a normal deja vu happens and I worry over it and starts extending itself.. he prescribed me propranolol and once I took it, it calmed down but didn't go away.

but Im worried it could be more sinister like early schizophrenic symptoms. My walking is getting more unsual, I don't have any hallucinations but there were moments where I would just be trying to watch a show and I would just say something stupid in my head like "hello" out of nowhere, then panic attack would start but id calm down before then. This rarely happens but sometimes I put myself through a panic attack almost voluntarily yet involuntarily if you know what I mean.

Its been 2 weeks since I stopped now and the memory thing isn't as intense as it was when I was high, but I still get it now and then (especially when I go out). It seems to only happen once i start thinking about it. Ive been prescribed propranolol to deal with the tremors from panic attacks and sometimes I send up saying stuff in my head that Im not even thinking about..

But yeah, weed is only good if youre in the right mind state.
    has any one heard of something similar to this? Did the non stop bong hits mess up my perception of time or memory?

How long would it take for me to get weed completely out of system?
    Notes about me:
    Im not overweight but I do eat a lot of fatty foods, I wouldn't say im healthy
    I rarely exercise
    im 24

Before the weed I never had these things, I would forget (or have that deja vu feeling) maybe once a week or month but never think much of it
    would it be wise to take a long ass break? idont feel comfortable at any point of a high now.

2. #2 onepoint0, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
    Speak with your doctor and ask if a ctscan is the next move! I don't want to scare you but if you have something going.. the sooner you catch it the better. This also sounds like ptsd to me which i have had since my first afghanistan tour. You are more than welcome to shoot me a pm if you want some resources to seek a mental health advisor. who will help you get in contact with people than can offer you resources. If you find yourself in this state again you can follow some easy steps to help calm your nerves.

First you should move away from stress or loud people. find a calm place to sit close your eyes and take deep breaths.

Breathing in
    1 one thousand
    2 one thousand
    3 one thousand

out
     and so on

I know it sounds stupid but it works. I dont know how many times it's kept me in control.
    Dont think about anything else other than the rythm of your breath. This helps me but does not always work

stay away from booze and all drugs untill your mental health is at a level you feel is safe and normal for you.
     if you need to talk to someone this community is FILLED with genuinely nice people that wont give you any heat or bs.

God Bless man

3. #3 onepoint0, Nov 23, 2013
    Is it possible you are getting laced weed?

Perhaps the strain is so strong its more than your used to?

How often do you smoke? how many hits or joints. Do you take in some fresh air after a hit? Big huge rips or what? explian the methods you have used to smoke. stay away from foil pipes or devices.

it can take 30 days or more sometimes less to clear your body.

4. Something similar happened to me, yours sounds like depersonalization. I feel like im constantly in a dream like state like you, i don't know if i walk around and not know where i am going though. I feel more disconnected with everything around me, and lack of emotion. I was a habitual smoker, all day everyday, I quit a few months ago waiting for it to clear, your best bet is to steer clear of all alcohol and drugs.

Take vitamins, exercise a lot, get good sleep, focus on anything other than your condition, and try meditating. Since im still in the recovery process, i can't tell when ill get better or if ill get better, but these things help keep me grounded and i've talked to others about it and some do recover! So just keep trying to live a healthier life style, hopefully itll clear up and one day you can return to smoking happily.

5. You probably got some laced weed, or some dank weed or somethin. Maybe change your smoking schedule to like smoking on the weekends only, you seem like your almost addicted,(even tho.. you cant get addicted). I would defiantly get yourself checked out or something, you might even have to come clear with your doctor and say you smoke, becuase you may have a serious issue. 

6. #6 DDreams, Nov 23, 2013

I doubt it was laced because ive seen other people buy from the same dealer and they didn't seem affected

i was taking about 1 bowls worth on bongs, vapes etc every hour at night. then maybe in the morning, no foil or etc

I know where I am but theres moments where I just become disoriented.. if you get me? Disconnected is a good term. Im pretty up and down emotionally.
    Thanks for the advice, have you made any progress regarding it?
    the one thing that bugs me is that it got really intense when I was worrying over it, but since quitting the weed and having anxiety medicine, its very minimal.. but still there. It definitely wasn't there before the weed.

It wasn't laced because I was smoking the same weed for a few years and it was all good. Ive quit smoking all together because im not getting any pleasure out of it anymore. How would you say its serious? The very first panic attack was just way too much weed

7. To be honest i didnt read that whole thing, u gotta shorten that up. But what i read about you forgetting stuff and shit that seems serious to me. U should take a long T-Break and once all that THC out of your system, try smoking some weed once more, but dont smoke alot. If u dont like it still, maybe its just not for you. Best of luck, but hopefully you stick with weed.

8. #8 DDreams, Nov 23, 2013

its like this

A. I walk into a takeaway
    B. Order burger
    C. while waiting, I sometimes get lost in my own thought, even when im not thinking of anything, kind of like depersonalization
    D. When im asked a question, I go back normal
    E. at home, it barely happens, only sees to happen when im out or standing waiting for something

I wouldn't say forgetting where I am but you know, I went to my doctor three times and he didn't think much of it other than me doing it to myself because of a prior panic attack. He said memory loss can occur from anxiety

I don't know.. its gotten much better but I should go back to my doctor next week...

thanks

9. Now that you say it that way i dont think its really that bad, i do that all the time, even before i smoked. I seriously think you should do that T-break. Ive had a similar situation (not really similar at all). When i first started smoking i couldnt get high, but that was mostly because i didnt know how to inhale, but anyways a month passed, and i still couldnt get high, so i decided to just take a break from it. A week or so went by and then i bought alot of weed and smoked it all and i finnaly got high. So obviusoly this doesnt have anything to do withur situation, but the moral of the story is dont give up just yet, i think you should do the T-Break thing i said.

10. #10 DDreams, Nov 23, 2013

I think I started smoking in 2009 (so I was 20)
    I had my intense panic attack after I bought some dodgy bag a few weeks later
    I changed dealer soon after and rarely had any attacks
    2010-2012 was just me smoking all day, really irresponsible.
    2013 was when I started having frequent anxiety issues, and the whole short term memory problems. It even got to the point where getting drunk raised my anxiety because the feeling of being intoxicated was frightening. (like I kept thinking my body was shutting down)
    I gave up weed last week, its now been 13 days and I feel much better. Don't get anxiety issues other than the few. but reduced so much compared to me getting high.
    The memory thing isn't much of a problem either but it still happens when im out or cooking standing. If I get scared of it, it gets worse so maybe it is all just anxiety related?
    I really need to start getting healthy. How long of a TBreak would you suggest? Im thinking of going for a full year

thanks for your help

11. you dont need a full year, just wait 1 month without doing any weed, dont even be around it when someones smoking. After a month passes, find some good bud, make sure for a fact its not laced or scwag. (i know how you said urs wasnt laced or anything, but just make sure) ANyways after you get ur bud, find some friends, ur closest friends, and find a spot to smoke weed. Find a place that you think would cause the least anxiety or panic. Maybe a friends house. When you smoke, dont smoke alot. If u want you could even make some edibles. i hope this helps, and you continue smoking.

12. This sounds closer to how i feel, I feel like im permanently zoned out like lost in my own head while you describe at C. For me im sure progress has been made but i definitely still feel messed up, like im not sober. I too am afraid of being intoxicated now so i cut out alcohol and everything in between.

As far as the progress i've made, towards the beginning my anxiety and depression was so intense i literally thought i was losing my mind from some unmentionables i have experimented with. About 2-3 weeks later i stopped freaking out all the time about it and the "fog" i was in seemed to lift a little. It is 100% more bare able than those first few weeks because the anxiety makes it so much worse. Now its much more just a fog and disorientation. I've seen doctors had brain mri's and bloodwork, there is nothing physically wrong that they could tell of. So now i see a psychologist, not sure i believe much in talk therapy though it is nice to relate to someone with intellectual insight on the matter. I have what he calls a "Dissociation Disorder", i think it was triggered with constant abuse of smoking or simply just too much anxiety in my life.

Im doing an 8 month T-break regardless if i get better at 4 months or w.e, i think at 8 months if im not better i definitely start smoking again, and if i am better than depending on how much i love sobriety ill decide. Im only 84 days in so i have a good amount to go, its becoming easier to deal with every month.

13. I dont want to say your doctor is stupid, but dont forget that these people hate if you smoke weed, and will make ridiculous statements to get you to stop smoking. But both of you guys seem like you have more of a problem than just what your saying, you might have some sort of illness(dont want to scare you, im just guessing). I think the T-Break is probably the best option for both of u.

14. I didn't tell my medical doctor about any drug use at all, only my psychologist. My doctor never made a ridiculous statement to me he simply just didn't know what was wrong.

Your right abstinence of all substances is the best option, there are 1000's of cases of people developing things like this from smoking weed, there is even a movie made about it called Numb. Its always been said smoking can bring out underlying illness', like schizo, but depersonalization and derealization are trigger illness' not necessarily underlying.

15. some people cant hang

16. lol it doesnt work like that man, although thats what most people think. I smoked an absurd amount for 4 years, more than most people, did 10-15 small dabs a day at one point. Had the highest tolerance out of all my friends, than one day something just clicked haha 

17. Well, i dont know that much to try and back my statement up, its just a guess. But i think you should take a T-break, if that doesnt work, and your still experinceing symptoms, i would probably wait like a couple months, and then talk to your doctor. Cause then you couldnt get in any legal trouble becuase there would be no traces of any weed in your system(this is also a guess too). But what you decide to do good luck 

18. Might be a good idea to lay off for a while, weed isn't harmful in itself, but if there's mental issues it might be able to make them worse (depending on what kind).  Probably should go to a doctor and tell him what's going on, they won't be able to get you in trouble for smoking, and it could be something serious.

19. #19 OneOfTheGoodOnes, Nov 23, 2013
    Not letting your medical Doc know about it is akin to blindfolding a Doc who is going to preform open heart surgery on you.

20. #20 Wavy, Nov 23, 2013
    sounds like you're just spacing out on shit, then having anxiety attacks to top it all off.
    no fun... have a homie who went through something similar

smoke less, do some basic mathematics or read a book, and try to stay mentally active. 

still let your doctor know.