Why I think there is a god.

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by king cop, Jun 12, 2011.

1. #1 king cop, Jun 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2011
    Stoned and want to write this out, hope it will make since. I am not trying to prove anyone wrong or right, this is just what I think. If anyone wants to add to or challenge my ideas that would be cool, I will take absolutely no offense, I love thinking about stuff like this in depth (sometimes).

Let me say that I am not a Christian or Muslim or part of any religion (Well I was baptized in the catholic church). I think the church is basically just another organization out for power and money. I think the Bible is no different than any other book or story. Brainwashed Christians annoy me, but people who act like they know for a fact that there's no god and are all smug about it are the same way (such as the dude who started that thread "belief in god shows lack of intelligence"

The reason I believe there is a God is because life and the world around us seems to be too engineered and thought out too just have happened randomly. Most of the fascinating stuff in nature that happens constantly, we as humans can't even come close to comprehending how.

If there was no consciousness to design what we live, It seems like it would be much more random and things wouldn't work. In the life we live, I think things are just too convenient too have happened randomly without any thought or design.

We're born on this rock that happens to have developed an atmosphere that conveniently keeps out what can harm us, and keeps in what we need to live (for the most part). The way things depend on each other, such as males and females, animals and plants had to be thought out. The way our bodies are designed and keep us safe is so complex that scientists will never learn all about it.

There are so many set variables in life such as, speed of light, power of gravity, what things need what to live etc. It seems like someone had to set them. If there's no god, It would seem like magic exists.

Basically that's it. Again, I'm not saying I know anything for a fact because none of us do. Feel free to discuss.

2. I don't think anyone can dispute that there is a Supreme Higher Being after watching "The Planet Earth"

3. Funnily enough some people use this argument to prove there is no god. Saying that the life we live is to complicated for a creator to construct...
    If you look at the astronomical side of things you'll probably feel even more strongly about it. We are the only planet to date with living creatures on it... At least on a comparable level (aka not micro organisms), as well as all the factors making that possible (water, good climate, proper planetary position). No wonder humans have developed such an egocentric state of mind... everyday we wake up to a world that feels like it was made just for us.

4. Or Nature governs itself, Creating itself.

5. :laughing:

6. #6 jas43, Jun 12, 2011
    complexity doesn't necessarily indicate design.
    interesting outlook nonetheless

7. the good ol' watchmaker analogy

8. #8 grass man420, Jun 12, 2011
    i think our entire race should completely abandon all belief in god until it is PROVEN. and not have religions making war on each other over it. "oh life so vast and magnificent there has to be someone who made it". why? cause we don't understand how it works completely. so, no offense OP, but your basically saying " i think there's a god cause we as humans cant understand how the universe works so i'm going to come to the conclusion with no proof other than lack of knowledge of the universe that some one purposefully designed the entire universe". and then we have no idea where this creator is, what he's doing now or anything at all about him or her.

9. I suppose not in the sense that something thats designed well could be either complex or simple, however i think my point speaks for itself: all the worlds greatest minds (long gone, or currently living) have yet to model the situation that we call life. Its too vast of a model for complete comprehension. Hell many sub models of the life are too vast to be modeled. Light is a good example. If we were created in the creators image, then i dont see how he/she/it could have possibly designed anything so intricate.

10. #10 myoung7189, Jun 12, 2011
    you sound like you are arguing from a creationist point of view which can be disputed by evolutionist

I believe in a higher power just for the simple fact that we have a conscious and can choose to do good or evil

11. we have an understanding of how life developed and adapted on our planet.
    it hasn't required a creator of any sort to date.

12. Ye i know, but im more thinking a model. A model, meaning every pertinent variable is accounted for. That my friend, hasnt - and will never - be done.

13. You see, I believe in there being some kind of a "creator" - or better yet, an "architect". That's what I would think "god" is. Nothing more, nothing less.

But on the flip side (I'm agnostic), I think I'm starting to see where the scientific-minded atheist is coming from. They assert that since the Universe is so fucking big, so many things can happen and we are a product of just one scenario. There IS no god or architect, according to them.

Well, I was really blazed last night and I had got this crazy thought: What if EVERYTHING (the Universe/Multiverse, etc.) were just a thought in someone's (something's) head and none of this is real? It's all just a thought. That's fucking NUTS.

14. I believe the forces of nature, is god.

Mother nature.

The forces of nature are so amazing....like the guy who mentioned Planet Earth. If you watch all these episodes you could only come to the conclusion that there is something mysterious, magic (if you will) about the forces of nature.

Turtles that are lost in the vast depths of the ocean are somehow able to track down their parents vast distances away. It's unexplainable.

15. zz top.. kind of

16. I don't know why we say "Oh we're the only planet with living creatures on it" so much, the only planets we looked at were the ones in our solar system (there are so many stars in the sky, which most probably have planets revolving around too... and again what we have seen of the universe is just a small fraction of all there exists, and that could possibly be of infinite size!), plus we tend to believe that "that planet doesn't have water on it, and it's too cold/hot for life" but what if there existed liquid/gas beings, that have completely different metabolisms/structure/etc.? :hippie:

17. I THOUGHT OF THAT ONCE TOO :hello:

18. Don't be so quick to bash religion. If we were to construct a religion based on a mutual understanding of our origins I think we'd be a lot more inclined to be compassionate to one another.

I hope our society has a spiritual enlightenment soon, and we can enter an era of peace.

Say, if 100% of the population believed that God was in fact matter and energy, two things that intertwine and relate to one another in a very unique way. These two things interact with time which keep our existence of matter apparent and perceivable.

If we were to believe this, wouldn't we all recognise that we are just a part of God, and that each of us is just as much God as the next? Thereby if we hurt another, we hurt ourselves?

I don't think I'm even proposing an existent religion, but someone feel free to correct me on that.

19. personally I like to abstain from judgment on god related issues. It can not be proven that god exists, but he still may exist. once that is proven to me i will believe. i like to keep my options open, because if you choose one side and blind yourself to what the other is saying then you can not have a rational discussion on the topic and learn about the issue at hand.

20. That's an extremley complicated thought, mabye not for a supreme being tho. But if it was a supreme being, why doesn't he just CREATE his thoughts. Mabye he lacks the "abra cadabra".
    But, the main reason I think your thought is false (Not your beliefs, cuz like you said you were high :laughing:) is because we are all conscious of what we do. No one can stop us from behaving/thinking how we want, even our current "God". Also it would probably be like if we were dreaming, our dream "people" having thoughts also :smoking:. It is pretty trippy to think about that tho :hippie:, matrix style. :hello: