Why I dont buy the whole weed is addictive thing

Discussion in 'General' started by BakedSnarf, Feb 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Your brain craves things that make it feel good. It's why people - for the most part - enjoy smoking marijuana. It's also why people are found to be happier when they're in love, after they exercise, when drinking alcohol, etc. It all comes down to endorphins in your brain and what you choose to release those endorphins. 

I'd argue that marijuana is far less addictive - if at all - than exercise or love. I've read studies that've concluded that when you're suffering from a broken heart what you feel is on par with what cocaine addicts feel when they're going through a major coke withdrawal. Exercise is relatively the same; once you're in the habit of working out on a regular basis it's very difficult to break that habit. 

In the past, I've gone months without smoking marijuana, albeit not from "quitting," but rather not having access to any cannabis, and would contend that I've suffered no kind of withdrawal while not smoking. Personally, I think the major issue people have when quitting, or going however long without smoking, is that they don't replace that pastime with something else. For instance, having recently returned from a two week long trip with no access to marijuana, I never felt a craving to smoke. I would again argue that this is due to having replaced the action of smoking marijuana with other things I find interesting, fun, exciting; anything that'd make my brain "feel good" via endorphins that are being released. 

So what do you think? 

tl;dr Marijuana addiction = bogus. Replace smoking with other fun things to do = no cravings, no "withdrawal," etc. 

2. I had cut back on smoking a few times for a few months at a time. While I did crave the high, the only symptoms that could even be called withdrawal was a slight lack of sleep and ridiculously vivid dreams when I did sleep. I just started watching old movies every night while trying to sleep instead of smoking and it seemed to help.

3. #3 lFourTwenty, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
    It's not bogus..what's bogus is to say weed isn't addictive. Being high all the time and doing everything while high can be very addictive..weed is definitely not nearly as hard to quit as hard drugs, but I can tell you right now, most weed smokers wouldn't have the willpower to not smoke weed if they had it..the only time most people go without smoking is when we are forced  to. Drug tests, can't find any, can't afford any, etc.

4. Which is nothing compared to what I experience when I don't have those 5 coffees every morning.

5. These threads never end well. Many will never have an addictive withdrawal. The few that do will swear by the process they endured.

/Thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.