Why I believe picking a religion is inherently flawed

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Yero, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Lose faith in it? The idea of it isn't to keep faith in it, but to understand its meaning. If you see yourself as a human being, and you find yourself dealing with other human beings, surely you can understand why you would treat them like you would wish them to treat you.

2. Ahh good point, I guess thats just the cynic in me talking :smoke:. I agree 100% tho, it should be about understanding that we should all treat each other well and if we made more of an effort to follow it, our species would prosper.

3. I'll damn science when you tell me how God came to be and how the universe began, until then fuck off.

(Not really, but I figured I'd throw it out there for argument's sake. Close-mindedness goes both ways. ;))

4. After re-reading your post I figure I'll have alittle fun with this. What if someone wants others to treat them like garbage for whatever reason. In that case the golden rule would result in negative consequences. So the golden rule is 100% dependent on the people that follow it. Also lets extend the golden rule to all life on earth think about how different things would be then :smoke:

5. Man, society as a whole entity would be there to balance it out. A.k.a. spirituality (spirit of humanity) is widespread.

6. That doesnt mean the spirit of humanity could never change. Unless you believe its something greater than us and cannot be changed.

7. If spirit changes, then what is it EXACTLY that we refer to with the phrase "spirit of humanity"? What do you say "humanity" for?

8. I'm not sure, but I dont believe its has to be treating each other well. I accept that its possible our priorities as humans change for whatever reason.

9. #29 Yero, Sep 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2008
    As another talking point, If I was God, I would be much happier seeing my creation using critical thinking and questioning their life, instead of blindly following some version of me. This discussion reminds me of a homer simpson quote "Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're just making him madder and madder" That had a big impact on my view on god and I saw that episode when I was probably like 12-13

10. God created himself and God started the big bang...bam go damn your science shananigans, I think I was being less close minded and more defending of religion.

11. That isn't true. At all. Ever notice that there are pretty clear geographic fault-lines in what religion people believe? As such no-one really chooses a religion like say we choose what style of clothing we wear.

Like language really. You don't choose what language to speak. You grow up in a geographical area where one language dominates, and pick it up as the default. Same thing with religion.

People actually choosing their religion is a vanshing small proportion compared to those that simply inherit their religion from their parents. As a general trend, people either stay within the religion they've been brainwashed into, or they reject it and any religion. Whether or not they continue to pay lip-service to their local religion or come out of the Atheism/Agnostic/Deist closet, depends much on how hostile the dominating religion in the area is to those that reject it.

Oh, and interpreting a strange experience, most probably a minor stroke / seizure causing a temporary distortion of ones sense of reality, as an act of any god is nothing but the fallacy of jumping to conclutions. And again, if this leads to a specific god belief, it will most likely be the religion that you were surrounded by in your childhood. A "religious experience" in Spain, will lead one to become a catholic. Pakistan a muslim. In India a hindu. And so on.

12. Very good point zylark, people do not realize the power our parents and our surrounding enviroment has on our lives. For many many people I would go as far as saying it defines them. I respect someone who has come to their own conclusion about spirituality, I don't respect someone who is simply following in their parents, other people's etc. beliefs.

13. Saying "God created himself" and "God started the big bang" isn't really an answer though. That's like saying that the Big Bang created itself... there still is no explanation as to how it happened, what caused it to happen, etc. How can someone create themselves? It isn't really creation if they already existed in the first place. I'm not trying to say that science has these answers, but neither does religion. They're both pretty equally clueless.

14. Exactly, but atleast science attempts to find the objective truth. Religion is satisfied in their beliefs.

15. If kids were taught critical thinking from a very early age in school, and werent forced into religion from birth, i dare say there would be a lot less religious people, who otherwise lack logical thought process to understand the world around them.

Religion should be taught as the fiction which it is, and only accept members over 16 who have the required ability to think for themselves.