Why I am voting yes on I-502. Wa state.

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Sensual Koala, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Yeah, it's fucked up that you can't grow it. Money is all they want.

2. Why does it have to be some machine that will spit out a number and based on that number you're shown your driving ability? The breathalyzer is already an extremely flawed device. An avid drinker would need a much higher BA level to be at the point of impairment vs someone who rarely drinks.

Why not have a real standard sobriety test to test your ability to truly drive. Reach out and touch your nose, lift a leg, do your ABCs backwards are not vindictive of how you can drive. How should they do it? I don't know but I know the current way to do it is flawed.

People are not going to like this statement but it's the truth- no matter how toked I am, it has no negative effects on my driving. I am a driving enthusiast who works on my cars, takes them to the track with over 5000 track miles under my belt(and that's track, not autox). Why should my ability to drive be based on arbitrary test that has nothing to do about driving? You can be pulled over for far far far more things then driving all over the place. I'd be willing to bet far more people were caught for DUI from speeding, lights being out, inspection/registration expiration then driving all over the place. Those who drive all over the place are more likely to end up in an accident then getting pulled over.

3. Glad I could draw attention to this initiatives flaws that will need fixing if it passes.

4. Well you already can't grow it so if this bill passes you don't lose anything. And the tax revenue has already been earmarked, its not just going to line the pockets of certain government officials.

Not to mention that you or anyone would be able to apply/buy a license to grow and sell to retail stores.

The idea that this bill should be rejected because you won't be able to grow your own and that we will all get busted for DUI's is a little overboard, I think a lot of this "vote no" hysteria is coming from the medical MJ industry which will likely lose money if states start to decriminalize/legalize. I expected more of a fight from neocons and right wingers.

5. [quote name='"Sensual Koala"']

Well you already can't grow it so if this bill passes you don't lose anything. And the tax revenue has already been earmarked, its not just going to line the pockets of certain government officials.

Not to mention that you or anyone would be able to apply/buy a license to grow and sell to retail stores.

The idea that this bill should be rejected because you won't be able to grow your own and that we will all get busted for DUI's is a little overboard, I think a lot of this "vote no" hysteria is coming from the medical MJ industry which will likely lose money if states start to decriminalize/legalize. I expected more of a fight from neocons and right wingers.[/quote]

Well there is billions made before its taxed. Who do you think will flip over? A selective group of the state will sell, and the supply of local? The language is even more hazy then the mmj laws. What is being said is all the flaws in this I502 will be hindering and troublesome in the near future. To ignore it would be just plain lazy and ignorant. According to political economists this will also spur poverty. Acknowledgments need to be made beyond, "yea the dui part sucks but it still gives me more" because its obviously putting you and any other mj user in a difficult position. I seriohusly may still vote no on this the more I read about it.

Oh and the MMj community would make more if they could sell to anyone so I promise a lot of dipens are behind this. So its the patients not growers and sellers who are opposed to this. The patients have been given a great amount of freedom over the years and this is 1 step forward and 2 back ya know?

6. Just vote yes on it please. The other 40-something states are waiting on YOU GUYS to get this movement rolling. We're just gonna get more pissed if you continue to vote no because you don't like some bits and pieces of the bill. Just vote YES!

7. I live in Utard and I'd kill to have ANY kind of a movement here. MMJ/decrim/etc. It's kind of hard to get anything going when 50% of the population blindly listens to whatever the church leader says and they're taught from birth to obey authority like zombies. I've gotten some of the smarter ones to see the light, but others are just plain hopeless. I hate seeing people nitpick at every little thing they dislike in these bills. Get the ball rolling and the revising/perfecting will come later. Then when the other states see the success of of legalization and see how society actually DOESN'T crumble into total depravity we just might see some movements of our own.

8. Do you have any idea how flawed that though process is? This is why the politics continue to mind fuck you sir. Allowing loopholes in bills is why the US is in such a debacle. To blindly accept more freedoms being taken for one to be given is dumb... strait dumb. I'm not picking at it, I've been tearing it to pieces over here.

Your area is the way it is cause YOU blindly accept the way things are. The reason it is the way it is here because the people inspire change of thought. Look at things from a different angle not just on view.

One view everyone is looking at: Legal pot possession.

There is far more implications to the way the bill is implemented then, yea it's ok to have a few grams on you, and you'll get it from from whoever we let have licence WHICH the AG of the US has blatantly said they will prosecute all who license and aid pot production. SO... oh and it imprisons people who shouldn't, and empowers already wealthy citizens over the impoverished, it's an economic disaster waiting to happen.

It's a fucking dumb bill and should have been done much better.

9. "I don't understand why I need to register. It seems like a lot of headache, paperwork and bureaucracy," said Ric Smith, a patient advocate who is on kidney dialysis.

SMMA - Seattle Medical Marijuana Association - SMMA

A lot of negatives here for people who don't deserve anymore work. Think about others for once and don't be selfish in your thought process.

10. Let's ignore the fact that if it passes, you'll be able to do something that's illegal now. Oh, wait. That's the whole point. Nobody is "taking away" any freedoms. You don't have them as it is.

11. It's a swap of freedoms. You can carry bud, but you can't carry more than 1 ounce between you and your friend in the same car. If you get pulled over, and the police officer thinks you're high he can force you to take a test measuring THC in blood stream. If you are over the .06 limit, you get a DUI no matter what.

It's a swap of freedoms, and the medical marijuana people are in danger if this passes.

12. Yeah, that's what I'm saying. What are they taking away from me by allowing me to smoke marijuana?

God damn, keep nitpicking it and we'll just continue to live with it being illegal for years and years. If that's alright with you because "at least it doesn't allow these loopholes", then all I can do is facepalm.

Again, we're waiting on you guys. You guys are starting this race in the front row, so make a start for the rest of us.

13. [quote name='"arewenotmen"']Let's ignore the fact that if it passes, you'll be able to do something that's illegal now. Oh, wait. That's the whole point. Nobody is "taking away" any freedoms. You don't have them as it is.[/quote]

How about you actually read my last 5+ posts and come back with a legitimate response. I can legally maintain a garden so this simply infringes on rights I already have.

14. [quote name='"MichaelMongrel"']Yeah, that's what I'm saying. What are they taking away from me by allowing me to smoke marijuana?

God damn, keep nitpicking it and we'll just continue to live with it being illegal for years and years. If that's alright with you because "at least it doesn't allow these loopholes", then all I can do is facepalm.

Again, we're waiting on you guys. You guys are starting this race in the front row, so make a start for the rest of us.[/quote]

All for making legalized step... But in the right direction. Not towards a furthered police state.

15. How would this be towards a further police state? Gtfo with that bull crap man. This law gives you the freedom to buy marijuana legally, something that has been a part of the police state that we currently live in for the last 70 years. DUI laws have always been there for marijuana...so what exactly are you talking about??

You are still going to be able to grow weed if you are a MMJ user...how does this bill change any of the rights MMJ users have? The right to drive while under the influence? NO, you never had that right.

Keep maintaining the status quo buddy, you are obviously pretty ignorant to how change happens in this country. Were women and black people completely happy with the first laws in regards to civiil rights? Hell. Fucking. No. But they took what they could get every election cycle and look where they are now. Miles from that first law. Its all about changing the status quo. You have to get the ball rolling first. We are lucky this bill is as good as it is quite honestly. Now there are people like you who are acting like spoiled little kiddies whining about little shit like DUI's. Get over it. Shit may not be perfect for the next two years, but after that it will get exponentially better. If not, you're just gonna be shunning the next bill for its flaws, maintaining the status quo, and never being able to improve on an already laid out foundation.

16. You gtfo you insensitive prick, have you even read through the initiative briefly? Or the facts about it. I'm tired of repeating myself on the facts of how this debilitate our state.

No women and blacks did not just accept what they got, that's why they had movements. While even with the slow trickle of freedoms they've been given their the doing well right? No, blacks and women are the number one on the US poverty list. This is the economic impact of never being involved in the system, and opportunities. That's what this bill is, increasing poverty while increasing funds for private millionaires. Regulation is what it will take to get it legalized, but this bill really fails to help the consumer of start ups.

17. Ya I have read through the bill. What the fuck is so bad about it? You didn't counter any of the points I made, just resorted to calling me an insensitive prick. Everything I said is true, do you have no argument against it? And don't tell me you have already countered these arguments, because you haven't. Either put up or shut up.

As far as these other groups...who cares about the poverty and blah blah blah. Do you think they would be better off had they waited for the magic bill that would have solved all their problems at once? No, they wouldn't. This is the real world. It doesn't happen like that. That's the point I am making. And this process is not going to change anytime soon, so unless you plan on overthrowing the fucking government, we just have to work with what we are given. Baby steps.

18. Are you serious your only argument was blacks and women and I rebutted that quite well with points already made. But great response with the "real world" makes you look like an intellect.:rolleyes:

Your an impatient man/woman. You just want what they'll give you. I want what I've earned, my freedoms.

Oh and you are a prick for attacking me personally, instead of my ideas.

19. I'd swear that this whole argument already played out in this thread. Basically the agreement was that at first NOTHING will be perfect. Gotta start small and then maybe a decade or two later things will be more ideal. It's like when the repealed alcohol prohibition. It took decades to get the kinks sorted out and even to this day some states still have really screwy liquor laws.

If people are waiting for a perfect legalization bill with no age restriction, no DUI testing and everyone can freely grow without any form of permit or license then they'll be waiting a LONG TIME.

3 main things need to be addressed to get this done.
    -Legalize in a way so that the local government can make some good money off it. Require people to pay a small fee of roughly $300 per year so they can grow up to 10 plants at any one time. Require a larger fee and licensing if they want to be a distributor to the local sellers. People with a REAL medical condition can grow their own for free.
    -Reliable cannabis impairment testing for drivers. I'm sorry, but this has to happen. I know that lots of people will say "I drive fine stoned", but we simply NEED this to convince all of the scared mothers and whatnot that stoned drivers won't be all over running down their kids.
    -Effectively regulate it to reduce consumption by minors and reduce associated crime/problems. This unfortunately requires an age restriction of at least 19 and penalties for those who buy and then sell to minors or sell without the mandatory permits/licenses.

20. Great ideas. Also I respect people in favor of this Bill and understand it. I just don't agree with it. I'm not alone either so I'm not a winger here.
    Why You Should Oppose Marijuana Legalization Initiative 502 | Slog

Those are great ideas but the initiative fails to really nail down the specifics and hazey language is taken advantage of, by cops, people looking to make a quick buck, and the legislators themselves.