Why I am voting yes on I-502. Wa state.

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Sensual Koala, Mar 18, 2012.

1. [quote name='"ReconReefer"']

Your rep say guru. Think of wiser things to say. This could completely take my ability to drive myself around? I have tons of appointments with no one to take me. Your saying I should get on the bus instead of driving myself?

Stay in your state.

Edit:This was harsh after reading through it. Sorry... just think about how your opinions affect other people is all.[/quote]

I misunderstood, I thought OP meant it was legal.

But I don't see what you mean by telling me to say wiser things. I understand not being able to drive high would be a big inconvenience, but that's a price well worth paying in the name of safety. I don't care how many people say it doesnt negatively affect driving, because it for sure increases the danger of driving.

So yeah, just take the bus or don't smoke if you have to drive. If you're allowed to legally smoke I don't see why you'd object to just taking a bus, taxi, or getting a friend to drive you sometimes.

and my opinion on this really doesnt affect anybody man. The law is gonna be what the law is gonna be regardless of what I think

2. Yes but MJ unlike alcohol leaves large traces even after the effects are well wore off for days. This effectively would be taking my license away permanently even when NOT high. Damn really? I feel frustrated I have to explain the repercussions to someone whose talked about pot quite a bit apparently. Blood and urine tests would reveal large traces in me, even though I avoid driving while medicated. So see the problem now? Stay off the roads if you don't wanna get hit. We all take risks so for you to enforce your beliefs on someone is oppressive, effectively taking one more freedom from them. Go join the GOP I hear they enjoy those kinds of opinions though.

3. It isn't oppressive. I understand your worry, but there's technology that could confirm whether or not you're high at the moment and isn't skewed by amounts left in you from previous sessions. Obviously that would be what's needed and it's very likely that's what would be implemented.

They just recently developed it, it's some finger scan test. If I weren't posting from my phone I'd link you to it. There has been a few threads on GC about it already.

So it seems that you'll be able to safely drive while having marijuana in your system if you aren't currently high.. and if the only time you risk DUI is when you're actually high

4. #44 ReconReefer, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2012
    And so now I have to buy a scanner to see if I'm legal to drive? At least your not taking my license, but adding a couple hundred dollars to it. Thanks bud, glad your ideas not costly or oppressive. (sarcasm)

Besides that you want to give the police more rights to detain and take away my privileges? Maybe you enjoy police scanning, prodding, blowing, etc. Not this guy, in fact in a lot of the movement around the nation you can see how quick cops are to use force and abuse rights. You want this? Damn you dumb if you do. If you continue to argue that even this scan is a good idea your ideas will continue on the road to a militarized state. More government and regulations are not the answer. They will benefit the rich and help to spur poverty. The rich will make money off capitol invested in to an already developed and freshly opened market, the poor will buy it. The police will pull over joe blow for having a J lit and throw him in jail. Costing around 70,000 a year. Also helping the rich, through the massive private jail system. All for smoking a J while driving. No, the benefits do not out weigh the costs. Your beautiful world of that working, will work as well as it does on the drunks. It doesn't they drive till they lose their license then even after that. I mean do you see the cause and effect, don't be ignorant of the facts. Hoping a DUI system will make safer roads is like hoping for peace in the middle east. Your just causing more damage, and costing more money. Oh and taking freedom, putting someone in jail is taking freedom and your doing it for pot. Maybe your on the wrong site?:confused:

5. Look there needs to be some kind of accurate and fair DUI test for cannabis for legalization to move forward. That's the only way to placate all of those worried mothers and people who worry about people driving all over stoned. People who drink(which is legal) need to worry about DUI so it's absolutely fair for smokers to worry about it. Assuming that the test is accurate in detecting RECENT use I don't see what the problem is. It could be something like No driving unless you've gone at least 3 hours without smoking. You also can't just avoid the issue by trying to keep things the way they are currently. Aside from the selfishness It's only a matter of time before the feds go after your dispensary or you get screwed somehow.

6. Wait i live in Washington...... So when exactly is the vote for this ? And if it passes when is it looking like it might be legal ? Impl excited haha.

7. There should be RX tests then too. Also no more cigarettes while driving as it can cause a distracting a euphoric feeling. What I'm saying is both of you are putting us on a slippery slope. The more rules you apply towards driving the less freedom. What your suggesting will offset any legal taxes acquired through the legalization. If you want to push shit down my throat don't call it ice cream. If you want to lie to the people and tell them this will make the roads safer your wrong, and lying. The 5th cause of death is car accidents, only reason this would rise is a medical breakthrough for a natural cause.

Life expectancy-http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/usa/accidents

Source for prison costs-http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/03/02/us-usa-prisons-idUSTRE5215TW20090302

If you continue to allow the same mistakes to be made on false information you being ignorant. Your accepting a shity system. Also shame on you for calling patients selfish! For wanting some protection to use a substance which has aiding and even some healing effects. Selfish? Really? Oh and the feds will do what they do, a legalization won't stop them! Hey hey, make a smart proposal for change then we'll talk some real sense instead of ignorance and fallacies.

8. Bump for support

9. I am a Washington resident on DUI probation myself...my county is hella nazi but that's besides the point I did the crime, I did the time, paid the fines, I live with it but just thought i'd chirp in on what some of our states professionals are being taught.

During my one day "alcohol and drug awareness class" the topic of cannabis DUI's was brought up and make no question the "opposition" whoever that is... old school doctors, refer madness era citizens, counselors, and police are being taught TWO to THREE days after one marijuana cigarette your driving ability can be impaired!!!

Buyer, beware. Don't tell them shit let your attorney do the talking.

10. That's what I'm talking about! A bias and chance for police to interpret the law as their purpose see's fit.

As a professional who has detained people in all sorts of means whether hard hits or soft knocks once I'm in your shit I'm gonna dig. I am going to look for something I can pin on you. Why? Well cause the thought process is your a danger to me so removing you and placing you in jail is the best option. The failure of thought starts there, on that spot, where someone detains you costing them money. Detaining the taxpayers is an unsustainable business, yet is being practiced all over the US. So why is it a good idea to continue on the path to more being imprisoned for minor crimes. The politics and marketing has been thrown at the public since the inception of mass media(and even before I'm sure). "Tough on Crime" well tough on crime is expensive and wasteful. It also hinders those it's meant to help the most. People with little education, or means are going to be the majority affected. I hope I'm helping to inform and not berate. Legalization of MJ would be great and under certain regulations is only to be expected but the net benefits need to be considered by far more superior economists than myself.

Honestly under-educated, or people with the marketing as in money making in mind drafted I-502. It's too bad it couldn't be implemented in a little better way. However as mush as I disagree with some of the wording I agree with the principal and must vote yes.

11. Like the guy who blows .06 and still goes to jail cuz the pig swore he was taken his half of the center line...

12. I'm sorry guys never was I trying to belittle or embarrass you. Where did all the MJ DUI supporters go? Hopefully it was realized, it's bad to push your opinions on others.

"French researchers studied all drivers involved in fatal car crashes over a two-year period and found 7% tested positive for marijuana, including nearly 3% who tested positive for a combination of marijuana and alcohol."

Funny how half of them were drunk too and also its not even that high 4% were only under the influence. That means that 93% of people in fatal car crashes in France are completely sober.... hmmm... so MJ isn't the problem as you can see. People are just unsafe drivers.

I can continue to build a case against it but anyone feel I'm wrong?

13. #53 Sensual Koala, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2012
    It will heavily decriminalize and allow the state regulate the sale and traffic of marijuana. Pot would be available for purchase at liquor stores, headshops, cigar shops etc. It will also remove all civil and criminal penalties for possessing either an oz or an oz and a half, I can't remember off the top of my head. Either way, you will be able to go to a store, buy pot, drive home and smoke it and it would be totally legal under this laws provisions.

It would still be illegal to grow and sell yourself, unless your a MMJ patient in which case you still have all the same rights in place under state law to cultivate your own pot.

A lot of people in the MMJ community oppose it because it sets up a DUI system for pot, but I read an article the other day that showed that you would be tested for active THC not the inactive metabolites or something to that nature, I'd have to dig around for the link.

Again, I support it. Am I a huge fan of the DUI shit? No. Do I think that its a step in the right direction? Yes. If Washington, Oregon, California and Colorado can all pass "legalization" bills this voting cycle I think it would be a monumental step for activists. If these bills fail in all 4 states it will be an equally huge step backwards and a sort of "victory" for the DEA and law enforcement unions.

14. Am I the only one who thinks driving under the influence of MJ isn't that bad? Just pay some attention...

15. Some people can and some people can't handle it. The only reason the DUI section was included in I502 was to be more appealing to the general public.

Personally smoking and driving doesn't bother me all that much, if your like so damn high you can't function I'll not you drive, but if you were at my house and took a few hits and then wanted to leave I wouldn't stop you.

16. Godamn it guys this is legalizing marijuana and you all aee knit picking it! It doesnt matter if its perfect, its a major step in the right direction!

R/trees

17. [quote name='"yonkers1"']Godamn it guys this is legalizing marijuana and you all aee knit picking it! It doesnt matter if its perfect, its a major step in the right direction!

R/trees[/quote]
    Maintain your ignorance of political faults bro.

18. #58 Fenton Mewley, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2012
    Sorry guys, this is not full legalization. Sensual Koala is right. This is a decriminalization initiative with no penalties.

Read more:

Sensible Washington's Part 1 of their analysis of I-502:
    https://sensiblewashington.org/blog...ting-i-502-sorry-folks-it’s-not-legalization/

Guest post on The Stranger's Blog by a Physician:
    http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/ar...n-perspective-i-502-betrays-medical-marijuana

New Approach Washington's FAQ: http://newapproachwa.org/sites/newapproachwa.org/files/I-502 Factsheet - Key Features - 032812.pdf

If I can't grow it, it's not legal.

The DUI is inherently flawed. Tolerances vary, you know the "I need 5 blunts to get me high" guys will have a greater % of THC in the blood, but that does not mean he is impaired to drive (even though you shouldn't be driving high, drunk, on meds, tired, etc). It is a strict standard. Test over the limit, and you're fucked no matter how "impaired" you are.

From The Stranger's Blog by guest physician.

19. I agree. I think that the DUI section of the bill could be reworked. But at the same thing goes for alcohol, the DUI limit is .08, you think after two beers I'm to drunk to drive? Nope, but thats what the law says because some people would be.

I understand that everyone has a different tolerance level of MJ but the fact that the police would have to have probable cause and then you'd have to have a blood test(administered by a healthcare professional) that tests for active THC doesn't seem THAAT bad. Even for heavy long term smokers that means after a smoking you wound't be able to drive for what? 4-8 hours?

20. Who gets to grow and sell and make money off this. Money motivates change, but is it a better change in the long term?

"I-502 establishes a system for licensing and regulating Washington businesses to grow, process, and distribute marijuana that has met state quality and safety standards. Under I-502, only marijuana grown
    in Washington can be sold in Washington, and only through designated, marijuana-only stores. "

Why can't you just grow it yourself? Why do people have to pay into a system they don't trust, for product deemed legal by the majority? The funds from this will be squandered in Olympia anyways. Only rich business owners that already have the millions in capital will rise from this bill. It's unfair and trust like in demeanor.