Why herb made me atheist

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by grassdude, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Or perhaps not? :rolleyes:

2. because, it revealed me to myself, or something like that
    i love weed

3. Or you could take that even further by asking how we made it from microscopic atoms to what we are today. Whoaa:smoke:

4. psychedelics did the opposite for me. i didn't grow up in a religious household and eventually came to the conclusion that the term agnostic was the most reasonable to identify with and so i did for a long time. eventually i began to try smoking and soon after psychedelics which showed me that there is much more to reality than meets the eye, and from all my experiences seem to suggest that there is something which is ultimately scientific going on which seems to suggest that "supernatural" phenomena could actually be totally real and the difference between everything and nothing is how you perceive reality, which boils down to a belief system.

5. Give me an example of an experience you had that could have undoubtedly been caused by supernatural shit. We are constantly trying to understand reality and accept it according to the evidence, but using unfalsifiable claims to introduce a imagined or more humbling meaning contains no measurable means in which the science can explain. The fact that you said this phenomena is ultimately scientific is interesting.

6. #26 clos3tgrow3r, Oct 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2010
    ignorance of what? adult reality?

“What we call reality is an agreement that people have arrived at to make life more livable.” --Louise Nevelson

"What a child calls reality is impartial to the opinion of the masses; it is in essence truth. Though sometimes flawed it is only concerned with fact--never politics and that by itself makes it more profound and perhaps more accurate than our 'reality' could ever be." --me

as a kid you can see the world for what it really is before the adult world of "reality" comes a-knockin'...

7. Weed made me rethink what I thought I knew.
    And holy shit how my little thoughts grew

It made me realize that there is no way of proving God's existence,
    so I decided to stop being so persistent
    about telling people that he is a fairytale
    because all I got in return is screams and yells
    religion is a choice and it's yours for the taking
    this is my result after countless years of baking

if God isn't real then what's with all the faking

8. Excellent poem.
    +rep

9. thanks man much appreciated :smoke:

10. well once i was sitting in the woods in the rain, smoking nice herb and eventually found myself about 15 feet over my body looking down. i know that science has recreated out of body experiences by feeding electrical impulses into specific regions of the brain but i was just out in the woods smoking weed while it happened to be raining. seems to suggest that something about what i was doing triggered an ultimately scientific yet seemingly supernatural phenomenon that doesn't generally happen to people.

11. That's kinda similar to what happened to me! I grew up believing in God and going to church several times a week when I was younger. Even when my parents stopped going, I'd still go. I even became a Sunday school teacher! ha. I started questioning my beliefs more when i started smoking more and also ended up..not exactly "non-believing"..I'd describe myself as Agnostic.

12. As someone who has been smoking pot over two decades, I definitely do not have any thing against it. I do have to ask however, how pot helped you get more in touch with reality with the purpose of smoking being to help you get away from it. I will agree that smoking pot has helped me to be more open-minded, but have to say I am more of a believer in God, and likely as a result of it. I've had many very close calls while being high that only God got me through

13. Glad to see you know where im coming from. The effect herb has on perception is very interesting. But you must also have a thirst for knowledge if you want to understand the science behind it all. That is what ultimately proved god out of existence.

14. I smiled when I saw this thread, because I realized that weed really helped me with becoming an atheist as well. What a nice experience its been :)

15. I dont think you understand life without a god. If you did, you wouldnt say god helped you, you would say you got yourself through it. Give yourself more credit and look at nature for what it really is. This primitive man made imagined thing needs to stop, its extremely embarrassing to modern science.

16. psychedelics did the opposite for me. i didn't grow up in a religious household and eventually came to the conclusion that the term agnostic was the most reasonable to identify with and so i did for a long time. eventually i began to try smoking and soon after psychedelics which showed me that there is much more to reality than meets the eye, and from all my experiences seem to suggest that there is something which is ultimately scientific going on which seems to suggest that "supernatural" phenomena could actually be totally real and the difference between everything and nothing is how you perceive reality, which boils down to a belief system.

17. hey, that's exactly what i said! :p

18. I'm not trying to call you guys out here, just voicing my opinion.

There's a reason why psychedelics are called hallucinogens :p, they alter your brain chemistry and as a result create false/adulterated sensations. As much as I enjoy psychedelics, when I take them I always remember the face on the wall isn't actually there, the walls bubbling in and out isn't actually happening, and neither is all the other crazy shit I'm seeing. :p

I wish I could support people that take psychedelics to be spiritual or find some answers, but I know how much they fuck you up, and your line of thinking when you're tripping is completely absurd compared to sober thinking. I won't deny that the new line of thinking is fun and can possibly offer insights in your sober life, but it's not a way to base your whole belief system off unless you choose to be tripping the entire time you're alive.

It'd be like me basing my religion off of dreams I had.

19. science doesn't understand how psychedelics work. hallucination is a simple term to describe what scientists don't understand but are able to observe. to suggest that psychedelics create false sensations is purely a meaningless assumption.

have you considered that "normal" thinking is merely learned behavior based on technology that has been instilled through language and other manufactured norms of modern living?

there are people who have experienced the same things some describe during a psychedelic experience but while completely sober. if the experience is based on psychedelic drugs rather than what's possible within the human experience, how is it that these people can attest to similar experiences?

20. this post is ironic in many ways. and we can't talk about other drugs ladies and gentlemen.