Why go organic?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by derpdapimp, Jun 2, 2012.

1. I'm still learning about growing and want to know as much as I can. Why go organic? What would you say are the differences between a top notch organic grow vs non organic.

Yield wise?
    Time wise?
    Quality wise?

2. It's less expensive which could be a consideration perhaps......

3. It's done so you don't get the chemicals regular nutes would have.

4. pH testing is for nerd wannabes.

5. Not only that but it also frees up space on your belt that formerly held the pH holder and now you can shoot for better accessories.......

A nice leather-craft set could open up some creative doors as well. Not having to obsess over pH you'll have time to devote to equally mindless tasks.

Bead stringing was a popular thing during the so-called Psychedelic Era because it didn't require much thinking - just like testing the 'run off' following the '8-Day Flush' myth.

I need a hankie......

6. Would the organic nutes be just as good as chemical ones? or at least will they get close?

7. I got some UK Cheese from the dispensary about a week back, and although the effects were pretty good, it tasted like a 6 week old dead body covered in burnt hair....just horrible....to the point where I became nauseated. I'm about 99% sure this stuff was grown in hydro with lots of nutes and no flushing at the end. I have some solid lungs, and I was having to roll half cheese/half natural tobacco joints...which were actually pretty good. Now, after a week, the chemicals seem to be working their way out and the smoke is much smoother...can now smoke from bong unlike before. You seem to sacrifice some quality for the bigger yields. Not worth it to me if you only grow for personal/medical use. I'm 3 weeks into my first grow, which is mostly organic, and my 3 plants are just as big or bigger than most of the plants I see in pictures of hydro grows at the 3 week mark. To each his own, but if you have a good setup, soil will work pretty well. After all, I'm pretty sure that's how it grows in nature.

8. Where's WeeDroid when we need him?

9. #9 FunTimeGrowHap, Jun 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2012
    Synthetic nutes will get you there for sure, but not without a pH meter, ppm meter, all the shit to maintain those meters, pH up and down solutions, an ass-load of pricey watered-down mystery bottles, a couple of trips to the sick plant section, and a whole slew of odd-at-best ideas on horticulture only practiced by guys that dump shit-wads of cash at the grow shop.

The alternative is a plant growing on its' own terms in an environment that offers it what it wants, when it wants it. It's cheap and it works very well. Just water it every now and then, like you would any other house plant.

10. organic is the natural way to grow to plants. the right way. hydro is the fake way, its like force feeding the plants with a tube down their throat.. with organics the plant gets to choose what it eats and pig out on different meals thats why theyre always happy and healthy when grown organically. i swear when i was growing hydro with chemicals and even soil with chemical nutes i was always trying to fix a problem and deficiency, ph problems, nute burn, etc etc..

not too mention its so much cheaper and easier..

organics= all the work in the beginning making your soil, less then $100 and then just water and a couple teas after that, the teas are fun anyway. and the buds are so smoothe to hit and tasty.. even the high is cleaner with no come down it seems. no problems having to run to the hydro store to get a new bottle.. after you make the soil you really wont have to spend anymore money, just equipment.

chemical nutes= expensive. each bottle is over $30 and some up to $100 and you need multiple bottles and have to replace em when they run out.. you have to mix up your nutes every feed and constantly check ph with those finicky ass meters that never seem to work or always break. unless you get a $300 one. buds are harsher even with a good flush. on a positive note you can get larger yields and faster grows with chemical nutes but it does take away from the quality for sure.

and organics is just fun.. it really opens your eyes to how the plant works and you enjoy learning about each and everything..

chemical nutes you never really know whats in what and how things work, you just kinda take other peoples word for things and hope for the best. imo people that use chemical nutes havent really gotten into it completely, seems like theyre just trying to get fat yields and make a quick buck.

im sure someone with a lot more knowledge can come in here and really break it down but these are just my opinions.. organics is so much cheaper, easier and more rewarding.. i really dont know why people use chemical nutes, im always telling my friends that they have no idea and they need to open their eyes and see the light.

11. Thanks man, I'm probably going to go organic now haha. For the teas I know a lot of people use shit like bat guano and like really obscure things I haven't heard of, will those things be hard to find or do stores sell them?

12. Don't you mean won't the chemical nutrients be just as good as the organic ones? I think you had that backwards. Chemical nutrients are mans way of trying like hell to copy those found in nature - but fail miserably.

13. That could be your acceptance speech when the organic farmers give you their Lifetime Achievement Award

Organically grown food is the fastest segment in the industry which explains Walmart's attempt to rig the system by trying to buy off organic farmers direct and not work through regulatory agencies. They want the Certified Organic logo on as many organic products on their shelves as possible.

Must be a reason I'm thinking......

14. i cant remember the last time i went to a grow store and bought ANY bottled, pre-mixed anything. Sure my wife bitches about all the rotten, fermented jars, buckets and totes all over the garage, but my pocket is WAY deeper and my medicine is... Medicine.
    Thanks a million Grasscity!

15. #15 ComfreyQuery, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
    If one is a young stud and a worthy cocksman then having some tanks of brewing plants is definitely more effective and helpful than weekly visits to a zoo to qualify a young Bahama Mama for coitus and related activities.

Far, far easier.....

"Are you sure other people do this?"

16. [quote name='"ComfreyQuery"']Where's WeeDroid when we need him?[/quote]

Arming his compost and black leaf mold.

17. Your all missing the bus here. Its all about the flavor:yummy:

18. #18 moronparade, Jun 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2012
    Well.. the hundreds of other reasons aside, since stumbling upon the organically section of this site I've become fascinated with organics in general. I'm working on bringing my entire lawn, garden and grass up to par with some of the amazing things I've seen and learned here. It's addictive and unendingly rewarding to say the least

19. IMO the "best" reason to go organic is one doesn't have to futZ around on a day-to-day basis ensuring the narrow margins of "success" are dialed in. Most of us O-types here can simply water our containers very thoroughly, pack up the car, and head to the hills for 2-3 days and all other things being equal, no mechanical or utility problems, we come back home and our plants are happier than the day we left. So, "maintenance" is a key consideration IMO as well.

I very often look very hard for "things to do" in my organic set up becuase once dialed in correctly one can pretty much plant "it" and go do something else for a while. There is just very, very, little maintenance with an organic grow that has been established properly.

As for your Q's regarding yield, time, quality, IMO those questions become irrelevant after a time. If one focuses on the basics of growing anything using either method, the yield, time, and quality takes care of itself. The focus should be on the plant not the method. If that makes any sense.

"taste", "quality" are subjective. "yield" is objective. It gets down to: "What can I do as the chlorophyl manager to allow this plant to be all that it wants to be".

Or sumpin' like that. Just know that non-organic styles of growing come with a bag of rocks you'll tote over your shoulder every single day for about 4 months. With organic style gardening the "bag of rocks" ain't much of a weight to tote around.

20. I'm Convinced :). I'll check out the organics section a lot now :). Also, do you have any direct advice you could give me that you think is very very essential?