Why even use return lines in RDWC?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by VicRattlehead, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Just curious why do most people have separate return lines on a RDWC system? Why not just run a 2-4 inch line from bucket to bucket (square buckets), pumping from the reservoir through all the grow buckets and return back into the reservoir from the last bucket? Like a big circle.

I don't understand what advantage using return lines would have, or how necessary it is. Especially if I'm trying to keep things simple the first time around.

Might be worth mentioning I plan on 5 gallon buckets with 4 grow sites, 1 reservoir 5-10 gallons

• Like Like x 1
  2. If you are looking for easy then don't even make it recirculating!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. I was thinking that at first, but I figure recirculating will make it easier in the long run because I'll be maintaining water out of 1 reservoir rather than having to do it 4 times and opening up the grow buckets to do so. Along with trying to get to the back of the tent to do so :biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. By "at first" you mean under an hour ago?

5. No the thought probably first entered my mind 12 years ago when I was hauling a bunch of expensive soil around thinking there has to be an easier way, but at that point I was already committed lol. I heard of bubble buckets back then, and I saw some people had them all linked together and I thought that was exactly what I would do next. That was my only grow, and 12 years later here I am. I just learned that setup is defined as RDWC a couple weeks ago rather than calling it "daisy chained bubble buckets"

Anyways to answer your question "at first" was technically about 12 years ago when I learned what a bubble bucket was and thought I would do that, until probably 5-10 minutes later my mind was blown when I saw people had them connected.

6. #6 VicRattlehead, Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    Not sure what made you assume that, but even if it was an hour ago, what difference would it make?

I'm ripped so correct me if I'm wrong, but you're off by about 105,119 hours

7. I know you're ripped.

• Like Like x 1
  8. So I take it you don't have the answer, or even advice such as Popcorn gave. You just wanted to stop in and make some **** comment to increase your post count? Very impressive.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. A couple years ago I bought a 6 bucket RDWC system.
    When I saw all the pumps and hoses I had buyer's remorse, and never set the system up.
    Instead I use gravity feed with a float valve in each plant vessel.
    The number of storage reservoirs is negotiable.
    I started off using one reservoir for 2 plants in each of a few 2 x 4 ft tents.
    One reservoir should be able to handle as many as 6 plants.
    I've since switched to one storage tank for each plant.
    Gravity feed plus air stone is just as good as recirculation, but much easier.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Can we see your setup? I did gravity too but I think my system is a bit out of the box but it works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  11. Obviously you don't have a chiller installed.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Damnit . This is the 2nd time I'm hearing of this now. It does sound like a really good idea, not relying on pumps running all the time, not having to check water level every day. My problem with this setup is the extra space outside the tent I would need for the reservoir/s. It does sound like the best idea I've heard of though.

May I ask why you changed it to having independent reservoirs for each grow bucket instead of all sharing one? Just for more control on each plant I'm guessing?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. I switched to one storage tank per plant to be better able to dial in feed levels for 8 different auto strains.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Here is one of the 4 different 2-auto setups I'm using.
    The plant vessels are 5 gallon totes filled with about 3 gallons of fluid each.
    The external reservoirs are from a couple of Autopot systems I tested, but even a trash tote with drilled holes would work.
    upload_2021-7-27_15-37-26.jpeg upload_2021-7-27_15-37-26.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  15. RDWC is a total head fuk. I built x2 systems one for each room (v&f)each containing 24 pots. And YES, you need a chiller and main res with a secondary res attached to a float valve in the main one.
    And yes you need returns on each just as you need flow to each instead of a circular flow.
    BUT if you set it up properly you only need to check your temp , ph and ppms in the main res once a day and adjust accordingly.
    It is by far the most temperamental of any way to grow, as if anything is out of whack and you don’t catch it you’ll have lost the lot within 48 to 60 hours.
    I lost 3 cycles before I nutted it out, very heart breaking and majorly disheartening.
    Also the most power consuming way to go.
    But once you get on top of it, by far the most rewarding and fastest way to grow.
    Wouldn’t change it for the world

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Pro tip if you do set up a properly reticulated system with more than a couple of pots
    A UV sterilisation unit and of course UC roots from current culture is a must

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. I'm an all or nothing kind of guy haha.

I'm not so sure I will need a chiller during the winter here, it's something I will definitely buy in the future though. They might not be at the ideal 68 degrees or whatever, but they won't be hot at all. If I have regular individual bubble buckets they will be just as hot if not hotter, because I wouldn't have a reservoir outside the tent.

I believe you that you need return lines, most builds I see have them and I assume there is a reason behind it, but nobody seems to have the answer exactly why, what benefit does it have? All the brainstorming I did and all i really came up with was that it might help prevent a whirlpool effect sucking the roots through to the next bucket. Either way the water has to flow somewhere, theoretically at the same rate regardless of what path it takes, so it would just clog that return line instead? I plan to use 2 inch PVC to at least help prevent clogging between grow buckets. I'm sure it still could clog but idk, I should catch that before it's actually clogged to the point of overflowing a bucket.

Also, I plan to have 4 grow sites, so double a couple lol. That's a lot less of a headache and risk than 24 plants. I can imagine that being stressful lol.. This shit is for personal use, not trying to supply a dispensary or anything here.

18. Me? I don't even have a bucket yet. I'm getting there though hahaha.
    Is this the reason for return lines?? To use a chiller? I was wondering if that had something to do with it but I couldn't figure out why not just run a chiller in and out to the reservoir, but I'm not very familiar with how chillers work.

Sorry guys, I'm just not the type of guy who does things because I heard you have to, or because other people do it. I like to have a reason behind it and know why I'm doing what I'm doing. I'd really like to learn what the true purpose or advantage to it is. That's the only reason I asked

• Like Like x 2
  19. Okay here’s your reason, RDWC is a head fuk for novices. Oh by the way I still consider myself a novice, even after 3 solid years of running x2 rooms of 24. There are so many more variables that other substrates don’t have to take into account.
    And it’s very unforgiving, one wrong variable and 48 hours later you’ve lost the lot.
    (I learnt the hard way, 3 cycles lost in a row.
    By recirculating your water you only have to keep track of your daily ph and ppms and temps in one res.If you aren’t doing any of this you are asking for trouble .
    Also run your air pumps outside the room, if you have them inside the room whatever your room temp is (26 for mh and hps or 30 for led) that’s water your water temp will be come mid light cycle. You need it to be 16-19 degrees Celsius.
    Regarding roots in the return pipes, I’ve built my systems reverse to “ current “ thinking and my water flows in through the bottom in 25mm pipe and out through the top ( 50mm below the net pot) in 32mm pipe , whereby being able to use all poly pipe and don’t have to fuk around with pvc. Zero root blockage.

• Like Like x 1
  20. #20 VicRattlehead, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    I'll just somewhat copy the undercurrent setup with 3 inch PVC, and a 3/4-1 inch return line coming off the PVC back to the res. Then hope for the best lol

Worst case scenario, 4 plants die and I'm out 40$ of seeds and some nutrients. I spend that every couple days to smoke now lol