Why Don't We Back up our Brains??

Discussion in 'General' started by Gardenmaster, Feb 1, 2013.

1. I know the technology is not there yet, but do you think it will be soon?

I mean what a waste you live your entire life learning, processing and organizing information then when you die it's gone.

Sure you have that small fraction of information you passed on either vocally or with written word, but really how inefficient is that?

I think in the future we will be able to back up our brains, and seamlessly transfer information.

Think of the potential, you could live forever by downloading your brain into a new fresh clone. You could erase bad memories you no longer wanted. You could download a MBA.

2. Your heart would still stop though.

3. I believe what you are referring to would be our first step towards "trans-humanism" and a steppinh stone towards a type 1, 2, and 3 civilization. Right now we are type 0.

If we were some how able to download our menories, woupd that be "you" in the clone, or a copy of you? It is an interesting idea, and I believe it will transform the way we operate. Consciousness would truly be "collective" in a sense that you could tap into a database and learn virtually ajything instantly.

It would negate years of schooling, simply being able to download new information.

4. Your heart isn't "you"

You could at 60 years old simply order a new body, get a new six month old body, download "your" brain into the new body and you are good to go. You would have all of your thoughts, memories, etc. Sure you would have to "teach" your new body some muscle memory stuff like how to walk, but it would be "you" right?

5. Fuck that, part of the human experience is remembering all the bad along with the good.

What's the point of doing something memorable if you remember everything?

6. Oh okay..makes more sense to me now.

7. i agree with this blade. also if you could live twice what would happen to YOLO?? haha for real you just gotta make the best of your life it's not about how long you can be alive.

8. I think in the future (sooner than you might think) the bottleneck of our life expentancy wil only be our brain. Everything else (heart, lungs, etc.) can just be replaced if needed. (tissue culture ftw!).
    It would take some crazy technology to transfer our consciousness to another brain though.

9. Since your brain doesn't fully develope til around 25 (at least for males), don't you think this would mess with a six month old brain?

10. That's not the only point. You could also use it to download information.

You want to play the piano, plug in your brain, now you know how. You would still have to train the muscles in your fingers but I am sure you get the point.

Say you work in construction and you have been working on the 2003 Building Code and they just issued a new 2013 Code book, now you don't have to read it and learn all the changes, just plug in and update.

So you spent the last 20 years becoming the worlds leading expert on the mating habits of the tree frog. Now you can upload that information and get paid for it.

So you were a witness to a bombing, you can upload the images from your memory and print out a picture of the bomber.

So many possibilities.

11. It's a most excellent concept, but it'll be a long time before the general society can really get past the whole 'semi-human' thing. I mean until you can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that things won't get changed, even minutely, in the change then everyone would freak out about people becoming 'less-than-human' or some such.

It's a nice concept though, I wouldn't ever choose to attempt to live longer than is my right, but I'd have nothing wrong with the ability to share the knowledge and wisdom of my peers.

I mean everybody has something to offer. Take this for example, take 10 people, eliminate the redundancies in their brain (such as if 5 of those people know how to play guitar, you only receive one copy of it) and take all the traits that aren't in common between you all. Like list them out and have a certain pick-n-choose mechanism, then 'download' any of those bits of knowledge or life lessons etc. You could really learn a lot man. A LOT :smoke:

Interesting concept, but I'd never download who I WAS into a computer. I'm not letting some other body have my badassitude, no way :smoke: