why don't atheists ever go after the jews?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by lady garbage, Aug 30, 2011.

1. #681 meddlehaze, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Technically, but not literally lol. They reject specific Christian doctrines which makes someone a Christian. They are more abrahamic than Christian

2. going to play devil's advocate here... but when an athiest rips on the christian god, they're also ripping on the jewish and muslim god as well (since they're all pretty much the same... though their prophets and "rules" are different for each respective path.)

but maybe they don't want to rip on judaism because of a fear of being called a nazi? or ripping on islam because they are afraid (unreasonably so) of being on the recieving end of violence?

basically, they want to take the position of being morally "superior" by belittling the people that (According to their faith) are to turn the other cheek?

... which is a bit hypocritical if you think about it... if they want to be morally "superior" then they really shouldn't be ripping on anyone's faith.

3. No, they are quite literally a Christian Denomination by definition. They are the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They even stemmed from other Christian churches. Regardless, there are many denominations that reject various combinations of specific doctrines. That's why there are separate denominations in the first place; they don't all agree on every doctrine. lol

4. #684 meddlehaze, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Right, but just because they have Jesus Christ in their titles, doesn't make them Christian. Doctrines which are specifically Christian include one God, God in the flesh, etc. These are exclusive to Christianity (the denominations within Christianity arise out of doctrines not associated with salvation). The Mormon dogma is contrary to these salvific truths which make someone a Christian.

I understand why people say Mormons are Christians, but I disagree completely. No hate or disrespect on them at all.

5. [quote name='"meddlehaze"']
    Right, but just because they have Jesus Christ in their titles, doesn't make them Christian. Doctrines which are specifically Christian include one God, God in the flesh, etc. These are exclusive to Christianity (the denominations within Christianity arise out of doctrines not associated with salvation). The Mormon dogma is contrary to these salvific truths which make someone a Christian.

I understand why people say Mormons are Christians, but I disagree completely. No hate or disrespect on them at all.[/quote]

No it doesn't mean they're Christian, but since they are, it supports my point. Your idea of what makes a denomination a denomination is flawed as well as what makes a Christian denomination still a Christian religion. Basically, any religion that uses the teachings of Jesus are Christian. If you have an opinion beyond the definitions, then that's fine, but to be ignorant to them is to be wrong. I realise you may think some of the rejections and altercations to the doctrine by the Mormons are make it or break it issues as far as how you personally think Christianity is supposed to be, but to completely disregard them as a Christian denomination when they are one in fact is a little much, IMHO. I guess I just try to be a bit more open minded and logical, though, so to each his own.

6. and Rastafari

7. [quote name='"TheAtmansPath"']

and Rastafari[/quote]

and Assemblies of God.

and Catholicism.

and Anglicism.

and Presbyterianism.

and Jehova's Witnesses.

and [insert all other Christian denominations]

8. We need denominations of Scientology. (On that subject, isn't Scientology an illusive name? XD First time I heard it I was like, "science has a religion? WUT? Ohwaitit'sjustacongregationofcrazypeoplethatliketogiveawaytheirmoney.")

9. Is Jesus Christ their savior?

10. They don't view him as the same as God. So they don't accept the teachings of Jesus Christ.

11. [quote name='"AlienBlood"']
    They don't view him as the same as God. So they don't accept the teachings of Jesus Christ.[/quote]

I can accept his teachings (many of them) as an atheist. So... your post confuses me

12. That's nice you can accept many of his teachings. But if you wish to become a christian you need to accept all of them. I accept many teachings of Islam but I fall short enough to where I can't call myself a Muslim.

Run along now.

13. [quote name='"AlienBlood"']
    That's nice you can accept many of his teachings. But if you wish to become a christian you need to accept all of them. I accept many teachings of Islam but I fall short enough to where I can't call myself a Muslim.

Run along now.[/quote]

You accept his teachings in all the books not in the bible?

or do you accept The bibles distorted teachings only.

because if so, your accepted list is incomplete too.

run along now...

14. The only real quibble I see so-called "Christians" have with the Mormons is their denial of the trinity.

...a doctrine which is nowhere to be found in the New Testament, or the writings of the early church fathers until the second century, and wasn't finally codified until the Council of Nicaea. In fact, most of the books that the Roman church banned from the canon teach doctrines which are radically against the current trinitarian understanding. So, if they teach against the trinity, and the books that are in the canon don't teach it at all, what does that tell you?

Something doesn't add up.

15. [quote name='"AlienBlood"']
    That's nice you can accept many of his teachings. But if you wish to become a christian you need to accept all of them. I accept many teachings of Islam but I fall short enough to where I can't call myself a Muslim.

Run along now.[/quote]

"All of them?" Which teachings are you talking about? Are the Roman Catholic's doctrines right? What about Eastern Orthadox? Baptists? Presbyterian? Anglicans? Lutherans? Westburrow Baptist? Pentecostal? See the problem here?

What defines a "real" Christian to you?

16. Obviously it's someone that accepts all of the teachings of Christianity. At least in the bible, I would say.

17. The trinnity is a semantics argument that I don't consider as important as how you view Jesus Christ. I personally reject the trinnity but I view him as God-incarnated in man's flesh. Even so-called trinitarians view him the same way they just describe it differently.

18. Someone who reads the bible and believes it I guess.

19. [quote name='"AlienBlood"']
    Someone who reads the bible and believes it I guess.[/quote]

do Mormons read the bible?

20. It gets dusty in their apartments, they're really excited about their false prophet Joseph Smith. If they read the bible more they'd remember Jesus warned about guys like that.