Why Does Weed Produce THC?

Discussion in 'General' started by Tamil Chronic, Dec 18, 2006.

1. I was talking with my brother and a question came up... why does weed produce THC and other canabanoids?

Many of you are going to think im an idiot say it's to get high off... well i noe that it makes us high :D, but like why does the plant produce the heavenly substance for it's own purpose?
    Let me give you an example.... tobacco produces nicotine as a natural pesticide to protect against insects, but humans found it gives a buzz when smoked....

So I'll leave it to you guys... why does weed produce THC and other canabanoids?

• Like Like x 1
  2. its sticky, pollon sticks to it, so it can reproduce.

3. I read that Cannabis's natural defense is to intoxicate whatever intruder eats its leaves and flowers, to the point where it does not remember where it found the plant in the first place. I read that insects stick to the resin, get intoxicated, fall off and hit the ground, wake up and go on it's daily life not knowing what just happened (short term memory loss).

• Like Like x 1
  4. I heard from a few places that it has something to do with UV protection. I think this is one of the reasons why you can add a UV light like one of those reptile flouros, towards the end of a grow. Thats a real good question though... Im gonna stick by for the responses on this one.

5. That would be the nicest "poison" in the world! The defense mechanism of cannabis... It makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I know, it makes me think how fucked up we could get if we were the size of a bee. We could land on a cannabis tree the size of a redwood, grab trichlomes the size of footballs and eat it (or stick it to our hindlegs) and fly off for a later meal...:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Doesn't it fill excess space in seed pods to help protect the seeds from the elements?

8. Based on all the responses which all make sense.... ive come to this scientific conclusion.... CANNABIS IS MAGIC. No other explanation... simply magic. Now if you'll excuse me im off to put a little magic into my life.

• Like Like x 1
  9. i second that with not one responce being the same as the other...just google it

• Like Like x 1
  10. well i googled it and this is wat i got from wikipedia...
    etrahydrocannabinol, also known as THC, Δ<sup>9</sup>-THC, Δ<sup>9</sup>-tetrahydrocannabinol (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol), Δ¹-tetrahydrocannabinol (using an older numbering scheme), or dronabinol, is the main psychoactive substance found in the Cannabis plant. It was isolated by Raphael Mechoulam and Yechiel Gaoni from the Weizmann Institute in Rehovot, Israel in 1964. In pure form it is a glassy solid when cold and becomes viscous and sticky if warmed. THC has a very low solubility in water, but a good solubility in most organic solvents such as ethanol or hexane. As in the case of nicotine and caffeine, THC's most likely function in Cannabis is to protect the plant from herbivores or pathogens <sup id="_ref-0" class="reference">[1]</sup>.
    wat a bitch'n way to protect urself!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Another cool question to ask is, why do our brains have built in THC receptors?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chicken and egg question. Most animal brains have anandamide receptors, and THC is less common. I would assume anandamides came first.

• Like Like x 1
  13. maybe we were built with receptors to smoke the shit!!!! Apple trees produce apples so animals will take them off the trees , eat them, then shit the seeds out so the trees can spread.

our favorite friend, marijuana, took a different approach. One day she thought "maybe if i can get those humans to pick my buds and smoke me, they will throw their seeds out so i can reproduce, woot, woot" Longshot, but i would like to believe it!

• Like Like x 1
  14. If you follow the links, you will see this is not such a long shot.

15. If you took a literal approach to my comment then of course it is an impossible shot!!!:p

But, like someoen said, it seems like one of those chicken/egg deals...thc receptors, or thc ...which one came first.

and soryr if it says it in the links, im veeerrrryy laaazzzzyy:eek:

16. THC receptors seem to affect our input/output carrier singles and can link us to our subconscious, modify our emotions, to serve as the links which transmit or transform or tranlate a better understand of one self.

At first I didn't see it like this, but after some time I became aware of these changes and had better communication between my subconscious and myself which hopefully is a good thing..

17. Cannabis plants produce THC to protect itself from harmful uv rays

18. I will be deffinately be getting a UVB bulb :rolleyes:

19. Yes, UVB is a great addition. But back to the question, I'm with rollinfatty, and then some. Cannabis and Man are meant to be together. Birds could spread the seeds just fine (and do) but the nature of its chemistry, and ours, implies a much deeper link in Mother Nature's thinking when creating our two species.

It's almost too good to be true, so it must have been a mindful evolution.

-mu