Why does weed get a bad name and alcohol doesn't?

Discussion in 'General' started by LovingTree, Nov 21, 2010.

1. People in my area call weed smokers 'Pot Heads'

People who drink a lot (teenage girls) aren't called anything, perhaps 'party animal'

Why is it that people are treated normally if they drink while smokers get mocked if they smoke weed?

It doesn't make sense. In fact, alcohol is worse for you than weed is. Remember, these labels and names are in college and highschool.

I don't understand it. Makes me mad.

2. Because alcohol has long been accepted in our country and weed has been demonized for nearly a century.

3. Ever heard of drunks and alcoholics?

What I dont understand is how everyone says alcohol is ok in moderation, but weed is never ok in any amount. I keep seeing all these reports about how alcohol is healthy and all this shit and these same people say weed has no benifits at all

4. Because commercials about alcohol make it seem like the greatest thing and commercials about pot are always negative propaganda.

5. Thats because no one can make a legal profit off it yet.

6. because the government told us weed was bad when we werent educated. so that became engrained into our culture. our grandparents were taught it. they taught that to our parents. they teach it to us. But now with technology the truth spreads a lot easier. and its only a matter of time.

7. #7 DiPT Sounds, Nov 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2010
    High schoolers and college kids can't get black out retarded wasted off of weed, they just fall asleep.

And due to the lack of social etiquette, desensitization to negative images, and the glamorization of getting drunk and laid due to mainstream music and media, kids are brought up thinking that binge drinking and reckless sex is an acceptable even respectable activity. Of course when they get warts all over 3 months later and test positive for HPV they probably realize how fake and pointless their "social lives" are, consisting of getting wasted at parties and looking like an idiot to anyone who isn't on a similar (lower level) wavelength

I don't drink, in case you can't tell, but there are a lot of other reasons too, basically propaganda and glamorized ignorance. Alcohol is a potent neurotoxin, and its one of the only molecules that directly kills brain cells. There are no alcohol neuroreceptors

edit: I can respect people who drink in moderation to unwind or whatever, not really respect per se because I don't advocate alcohol use at all (fuck all those people who say red wine or beer is good because they probably don't lead healthy lifestyles anyways and they probably don't limit themselves to 1 drink per night) but anyways I have more respect at least for people who don't abuse alcohol. I do find it hilarious though, Darwin award material for sure

8. Cause it's a fucked up world we live in.

9. Because alcohol can't put thousands of places out of business, but marijuana can (hemp.)

How can you profit off of something we can all cultivate? That's why they want it illegal: they can't make money off it that way. They sure did a good job brainwashing some of us, because I still find it amusing that we see the hundreds of alcohol and tobacco related deaths each year, not even one marijuana related ILLNESS and some people still hate weed. It's very sad...

10. Its society. Alcohol is legal, its everywhere, its on tv, its in your friends hand- its socially acceptable because its everywhere.

Weed gets a bad name because if you look at the media, they show it as something bad. There are anti-weed commercials on tv- people grow up and are taught to "say no to drugs." When you grow up, they lump all the drugs together as something bad. All this government propoganada teaches people from a young age that weed is not socially acceptable...people frown upon weed. Once the frowing upon starts, its hard to end it.

11. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31m33PJW7cw]YouTube - Joe Breezy Patron Challenge (as seen on Tosh.0)[/ame]

^ That shit is perfectly acceptable to society, but if you smoke weed you're a braindead loser. Great society we live in.

12. How about the fact that there are 3 places at the mall near me where I can buy a beer bong, but at the hippy store/pipe shop they have (not a headshop though) I can't even imply anything other than tobacco use

13. What the fuck is wrong with that girl to stand there and get puked on by that dude?

14. Ii like how they have anti drug commercials, but apparently alchohol is not a drug, because we all know if alchohol was a drug it would be bad. Hence drugs n alchohol.

15. alcohol is taxed.....thus revenue is delivered to the government...

when they figure out how to tax weed.....it will be legal.....:cool:

16. I'd rather be called a pot head over being called a drunk

17. Supposedly, Big Tobacco already has all that figured out, down to the level of how much profit they can make on a single joint. They're just waiting for the gov't to legalize it. You'd really think that eventually, market forces would kick in and the profit to be gained from taxation of cannabis would become too large to ignore. The gov't, of course, already knows how much it could make in tax revenue from a joint, or an ounce, pound etc. So, either it's still more profitable to keep cannabis illegal than otherwise, or something weird is going on.

18. That Joe Breezy guy is a fucking idiot.