Why does the pax use so much damn weed?

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by Sammyy, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Sup guys i recently bought a pax and its pretty awesome but my only gripe is it uses so much herb! When i bought it i had a gram left, i went through that gram in a mere hour. I cant pick up again till thursday so ill give it another really good test drive then when i have kore green, but that gram incident really makes me nervous that its gonna be a weed eater, anybody else have this problem? If it is i think ill just buy an mflb i got the pax for cheap so it wouldnt be a huge lossAlso i lost the screen to my pax, i used it with tobacco to see if it would still work without the screen and it did but definitely not as well. Is there anything else i can use till i get replacements?

2. #2 Nerd139, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2014
    I dont have this problem at all. What temperature did you put it on? How much does it take to normally get you high?

3. [quote name="Nerd139" post="19407586" timestamp="1390708686"]I dont have this problem at all. What temperature did you put it on? How much does it take to normally get you high?[/quote]I start on low, puff on that then up to medium, puff on it then maybe high. With combustion one bowl gets me high, two too get really stoned soo maybe .3-.5

4. #4 Nerd139, Jan 26, 2014
    And you say with Pax you went through a whole gram? When I got Pax it cut my weekly consumption in half. Sure, I only used 1 gram a week and I know most tokers use that much a day but to run out in an hour seems strange. (Most people I read who use vaporizers say their consumption drops by half)

How long do you wait to turn it up? I usually wait to turn it up when I cant feel myself getting high.

When you pack it how do you do it? Do you just sprinkle it in or do you like pack it in there?

5. [quote name="Nerd139" post="19407637" timestamp="1390709282"]And you say with Pax you went through a whole gram? When I got Pax it cut my weekly consumption in half. Sure, I only used 1 gram a week and I know most tokers use that much a day but to run out in an hour seems strange. (Most people I read who use vaporizers say their consumption drops by half)How long do you wait to turn it up? I usually wait to turn it up when I cant feel myself getting high.When you pack it how do you do it? Do you just sprinkle it in or do you like pack it in there?[/quote]When i break out the pax heres how it goesGrind bud upside down for about 30 turns to get a nice grindPut bud into pax, use oven lid to pack down then use my finger to pack down even more tightlyPut oven lid back on and turn the pax on and wait for it to heat upWhen i start on low i stay ob low until that really strong sweet flavor of the bud stops coming through then i go up to medium for the rest of the sesh, only going up to high if i feel like im not high enough yetIve tried the sipping technique as well as just hitting it slow like a bluntI will say that i do have a semi high tolerance, i smoke about 2 grams a day but that doesnt mean i should be using more bud in a sesh vaping than combustion right?

6. You should be using less bud when vaping. That two grams a day should drop to one gram a day unless youre a weirdo. 

How tightly do you pack it? I read once that you want it tight but not super tight. 

You shouldnt turn it up just because you cant smell anything. Turn it up when you cant feel anything or arnt feeling enough. Also I want to point out just because you cant see the vaper doesnt mean you arnt getting anything.

What I also like to do sometimes is when it heats up ad I am almost done with a session is take the mouthpiece off and kind of just suck it out directly from the Pax. Just because I feel like since it is hot and the weed is touching the oven it is going to keep vaping even though you turned off the system. I used to also take the stuff out of the oven when i was done but that became too much of  a hassle.

Oh and I also like to mix the stuff around inside it with a tool(I use one of those things that you put in a door to unlock it. It's one of those keys that you push through a tiny hole). I dont have the minutes in my head for when I do it. I just kinda do f I feel ive been vaping for awhile.

When do you decide the stuff is done? People say there is a brunt popcorn smell but persoanlly I just switch it out when I turn it all the way to the highest temp and nothing happens.

7. [quote name="Nerd139" post="19407770" timestamp="1390710866"]You should be using less bud when vaping. That two grams a day should drop to one gram a day unless youre a weirdo. How tightly do you pack it? I read once that you want it tight but not super tight. You shouldnt turn it up just because you cant smell anything. Turn it up when you cant feel anything or arnt feeling enough. Also I want to point out just because you cant see the vaper doesnt mean you arnt getting anything.What I also like to do sometimes is when it heats up ad I am almost done with a session is take the mouthpiece off and kind of just suck it out directly from the Pax. Just because I feel like since it is hot and the weed is touching the oven it is going to keep vaping even though you turned off the system. I used to also take the stuff out of the oven when i was done but that became too much of a hassle.Oh and I also like to mix the stuff around inside it with a tool(I use one of those things that you put in a door to unlock it. It's one of those keys that you push through a tiny hole). I dont have the minutes in my head for when I do it. I just kinda do f I feel ive been vaping for awhile.When do you decide the stuff is done? People say there is a brunt popcorn smell but persoanlly I just switch it out when I turn it all the way to the highest temp and nothing happens.[/quote]Yeah that was my main reason for buying a vape to cut down on consumption and because its healthier.I pack it pretty tight so i guess it is possible im packing it too tight, if i packed it too tight wouldnt i have no airflow though?When you say turn it up when you dont feel anything do you mean like feel any vapor? Because i never feel vapor at all but i know im getting clouds because i do see them even after ive held it in as long as i canYeah i also stir my load, usually a after a couple hits on med i stir it with a key or anything in reach that works then pack down again with my finger (gets a little hot lol)Usually i go by the avb look to see when its done, ill open the oven and check it out, i will say the pax has produced very good, evenly browned avb, my avb is the color of tobacco maybe a tad darker, and ive personally havent noticed a burnt popcorn smell although it definitely is a "different" smell

8. #8 Nerd139, Jan 26, 2014
    I meant feel the high. I turn it up depending on how high each hit is taking me.

I think it could be an airflow issue and I think it might also be a heat issue. Like if it is all really packed together it gets used up quicker.

I had to play around with it to find the right mix between how tightly I am packing it and how much I am putting in. I fill the oven by the way. I didnt use to do that. When I first got the Pax my consumption didnt go down at all and I was pissed cause I paid 250 but afer about a week or two it did go down. There is a site called fuckcombustion where they have a whole thread with a shit ton of pages. I looked through the thread for pointers. There are also YouTube videos. 

I dont go by color. I just cant. It turns brown and all but that doesnt mean I cant get more from it. I just keep going until the hits are doing enough and or it is burning. As for smell it is different.

9. [quote name="Nerd139" post="19407818" timestamp="1390711836"]I meant feel the high. I turn it up depending on how high each hit is taking me.I think it could be an airflow issue and I think it might also be a heat issue. Like if it is all really packed together it gets used up quicker.I had to play around with it to find the right mix between how tightly I am packing it and how much I am putting in. I fill the oven by the way. I didnt use to do that. When I first got the Pax my consumption didnt go down at all and I was pissed cause I paid 250 but afer about a week or two it did go down. There is a site called fuckcombustion where they have a whole thread with a shit otn of pages. I looked through the thread for pointers. There are also YouTube videos. I dont go by color. I just cant. It turns brown and all but that doesnt mean I cant get more from it. I just keep going until the hits are doing enough and or it is burning. As for smell it is different.[/quote]Its hard to go by feeling the high because i dont even start feeling any sort of buzz till im already on high, for the airflow i actually used a drill to make the hole bigger and i must say its better but since i was out of herb i only got to test it with tobacco, could it be possible that i wasnt really getting te hang of hitting it since at the time i didnt have that hole so it was more restricted, i mean that whole time im trying to learn to hit it my buds are in the oven cooking

10. I grind mine to almost powder... Powder if I can. Pack it 3/4 full..I use a pencil end to pack it some. DON'T open the lid at all until you get no vapor. I use it on high only. And I when I'm on I use it every two to three hours. And a gram lasts me a day. Is it really clean? What is your front light doing? And I take small puffs..don't take long pulls, it'll cool the oven fast. And I still save my AVB.

11. More airflow will cool the oven...and what hole did you drill? If you drilled in the pax body... you fucked it up.

12. #12 Sammyy, Jan 26, 2014
    [quote name="fearjar" post="19407852" timestamp="1390712375"]More airflow will cool the oven...and what hole did you drill? If you drilled in the pax body... you fucked it up.[/quote]Lol no not the pax body im not that dumb,, if you look at the mouthpiece you can see where the vapor comes out, i made that bigger basically. I find it doesnt cool the vapor/oven down really i just have to hit it nice and slow

13. [quote name="fearjar" post="19407840" timestamp="1390712242"]I grind mine to almost powder... Powder if I can. Pack it 3/4 full..I use a pencil end to pack it some. DON'T open the lid at all until you get no vapor. I use it on high only. And I when I'm on I use it every two to three hours. And a gram lasts me a day. Is it really clean? What is your front light doing? And I take small puffs..don't take long pulls, it'll cool the oven fast. And I still save my AVB.[/quote]Yeah its clean first thing i did was clean what do you mean what is my front light doing? Nothing special...just solid when heating up and blinks while in used. I trued the small puffs like the cigar technique that i see people over at fc talking about but i found it less satisfactory than one long slow draw but ill give it another shot

14. Whew... Sometimes my light goes from purple to red from sticking... And it won't heat right. One thing about a PAX... it's a mission session since it is constantly heating. I never let it sit long at all. It does have a learning curve... but I love mi e. I've used it for a year and a half straight. 3-5+ sessions a day. Dry bud ground to prefer add lightly packed is my combination. Try it on high right from the start.... Just start puffing early before the light goes green. My biggest problem is if I'm playing Cod online. Always messes up my session lol.

15. [quote name="fearjar" post="19407923" timestamp="1390713341"]Whew... Sometimes my light goes from purple to red from sticking... And it won't heat right. One thing about a PAX... it's a mission session since it is constantly heating. I never let it sit long at all. It does have a learning curve... but I love mi e. I've used it for a year and a half straight. 3-5+ sessions a day. Dry bud ground to prefer add lightly packed is my combination. Try it on high right from the start.... Just start puffing early before the light goes green. My biggest problem is if I'm playing Cod online. Always messes up my session lol.[/quote]Yeah no weird light problems going on over here and i hope to keep it that way lol i dont want to start off on high because ive read to get max efficiency in the pax is to work your way up, i mean getting high isnt the problem i can get high without even going to high but it just eats my bud so quick still so wouldnt starting on high just make that worseAlso since it hasnt been answered yet, anything i could do about the screen situation?

16. The screen doesnt need anything done to it.

17. [quote name="Nerd139" post="19407994" timestamp="1390714234"]The screen doesnt need anything done to it.[/quote]In my op i said i lost my screen so was wondering my options till i get replacements

18. Maybe take off that peice of metal they use around erasers on pencils and put it over the pax hole? Being careful how tightly you pack it to avoid covering the hole completely.

A razer if you can break one small enough

One of those small manual pencil sharpeners. Take off the metal piece. You might be able to find that is easy to take off from the dollar store

19. Nearest ace hardware...they sell screens in there. Get as fine a one as you can, but heavy and cut it down. Don't try aluminum foil. Might stick. How the hell did you lose it? Don't toss your ABV man. You can roll doobs with it and get a buzz.

20. [quote name="Nerd139" post="19408026" timestamp="1390714679"]Maybe take off that peice of metal they use around erasers on pencils and put it over the pax hole? Being careful how tightly you pack it to avoid covering the hole completely.A razer if you can break one small enoughOne of those small manual pencil sharpeners. Take off the metal piece. You might be able to find that is easy to take off from the dollar store[/quote]Thanks man that gave me a couple of ideas to brainstorm, i think ill try the razor idea, i have regular razors that break in half easily that would probably fit perfect