Why does soda taste differrent depending on where you bought it?

Discussion in 'General' started by themeatsandcheeses, Dec 7, 2013.

1. I just got back from popeyes and noticed how badass my dr pepper tasted compared to other restaurants/fast food. Then i got home and poured me a small glass of dr pepper again from the fridge and it tastes comepletly different.

2. Has to do with the container it's in.
    Fountain Dr Pepper is orgasmic.
    Canned Dr Pepper is waaay too 'sharp' of a taste
    Bottle Dr. Pepper is just bland.

As well as what ratio they are mixing syrup to carbonated water in.

3. #3 aPersonUponaHill, Dec 7, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
    Because in restaurants and fast food they use the boxes of (soda) syrup. Then the dispensing system carbonates and adds water it would seem.

Oh and when those boxes get low or run out they need to be changed, and if the employees dont notice and slack off, the soda tastes awful because not enough syrup.

4. I always found that Coke from McDonalds tastes amazing!

5. [quote name="aPersonUponaHill" post="19119678" timestamp="1386448508"]Because in restaurants and fast food they use the boxes of (soda) syrup. Then the dispensing system carbonates and adds water it would seem.Oh and when those boxes get low or run out they need to be changed, and if the employees dont notice and slack off, the soda tastes awful because not enough syrup.[/quote]This, and also that the systems can differ a bit on the ratio of syrup to water that is used, and the amount of carbonation. I would imagine that freshness plays a factor as well.Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. those coke freestyle machines are watered down as FUCK

7. [quote name="BensonSanders" post="19119671" timestamp="1386448391"]Has to do with the container it's in.Fountain Dr Pepper is orgasmic.Canned Dr Pepper is waaay too 'sharp' of a tasteBottle Dr. Pepper is just bland.As well as what ratio they are mixing syrup to carbonated water in.[/quote]I think just about any soda in a can I to sharp, I defy this by pour it in a glass or plastic cup. Extra points for hard liquor;)

8. Soda in Europe tastes better than America because they use real sugar.

I'm not sure how that will help your question but I thought you should know.

9. these aren't kept in cases, but giant drums. they never run out of coke

10. #10 nascarfan, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2013
    In a restaurant the carbonation comes from an in house CO2 tank (yes, restaurants have pressurized tanks). It's "fresher." It doesn't have as much opportunity to be impacted by time and transportation conditions. But even fountain soda will differ in taste from place to place, because the CO2 mixes with the business's filtered tap water. Variations in mineral content can affect the taste. As can different purifying additives.

11. Coke from mcdonalds has been tweaked to go together with their food-like products. It has more sugar as well.