Why does not sleeping make me happy?

Discussion in 'General' started by foolcoolguy, Mar 18, 2010.

1. For some reason, whenever I stay up all night I am not very tired the next day, and have a lot of benefits. I do feel a little dumber after an all nighter, but I feel a lot funnier (to other people, not just myself haha), the school day seems to fly by, and I just feel a lot happier.

I have been reading that tycyclic (sp?) anti-depressants work by blocking the effects of sleep, I don't fully understand it yet.

Anyways, does this happen to other people? Does anyone know why this is?

2. whenever i stay up all night i feel delirious so i can see where the funniness comes from but i tend to zone out hardcore during the day. kinda like when you're stoned but amped up a shit load. it feels weird as hell i feel like i dont make sense lol

3. I heard somewhere that after 24 hrs of sleep deprivation the effects can become similar to intoxication the longer you don't sleep?

4. yea my buddy was seeing life-like hallucinations after only 2-3 nights no sleep

5. I've made it nearly 72 hours once. I wouldn't say I was hallucinating or anything, but everything around me had this "stoney feel." As if I was high...but, not really? Its a weird feeling.

Last thing I remember was watching the beginning of "Toy Story" in the recliner and waking up in my bed nearly 15 hours later, lol.

6. Stay up for, say, 30 hours for mid-terms or whatever it is, jacked on amphetimines and caffeine. We've all been there. You know that feeling as you lay in bed, task accomplished, drugs weening, as you slowly but steadily drift into the abyss of what can only be described as fucking narcotic tiredness, and eventually sleep?

Best. Feeling. Ever.

7. Staying up all night is fun once in awhile but i wouldn't recommend making it a habit. For me I generally take a couple nights to fully get back into a normal sleep schedule after staying up for long periods of time.

8. Ive always wanted to see how long i could go without sleep, i want to try 3 days//

9. Humans need sleep.
    You will go insane without it.
    This is why you feel crazy after not sleeping for a while.

Go ahead and look up "Russian Sleep Experiment" and see what happened to a few people who were forced to stay up for months.

10. I've read this before. I have no idea if its true or not. But, its still freakier than hell. :eek:

11. It's not true, but it's definitely plausible. Severe sleep deprivation is the closest you can get to true psychosis without actually having psychosis. However, the risk of developing psychosis increases almost exponentially as a period of sleep deprivation continues

12. Dude, do some research on hypomania. Hypomania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically, its a weak form of bipolar disorder, where sleep deprivation can lead you into a manic state. I've been dealing with it since I was a teenager. The less you sleep, the better and faster and smarter you feel, and the less you feel that you need sleep. Antideps can trigger hypomanic episodes in people susceptible to them. The last and only time I tried an antidepressant, I didn't sleep for six days, and by the end I was writing all over my arms because my head was running to fast for me NOT to write all of my great ideas down.

Of course, as soon as I crashed and slept, I realized it was all gibberish.