Why does my weed smell minty?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Grown231, Oct 23, 2009.

1. My first plant has been drying for a week and it has a harsh minty smell and taste. it dosnt smell anything like weed. I know its not the strain cus i got the seeds out of a bag that smelt like normal weed

2. Did you put peppermint extract in the water?

I've never heard of that, cure it and see how it smells.

3. your strain prob has a high alpha-pynene content, which contributes to a Piny smell, which can be minty in nature.

4. I'm sure it's just the chlorophyll that's making it smell weird, let it finish drying and then cure it PROPERLY and it'll smell amazing.

5. It could have been due to it not being flushed properly. If not then it hasnt been dried properly, and will have a reallly harsh smoke. Just make sure you leave it to cure for as long as possible

6. #6 LBH, Nov 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2009
    Dude, I just grew out a bagseed that smelled like spearmint the whole way through. Now that I just said "spearmint", not wintergreen, not pine, not peppermint but SPEARMINT,...doesn't that sound familiar??

My seed came from brown brick. It grew like a champ and during the cure (I assumed the mint would go away now) it got even mintier and then it started to smell like grass clippings. I was pretty bummed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. ya and looks like u also cut it early too poster above me.

8. hmm, if the strain itself never smelled minty and when cured it still smells that way i'd be curious to know what kind of nutes/medium you used to grow it with.

did you flush the soil prior to harvest?

9. looks ok but cut about three weeks early. Hey smoke that mint though!

10. In my experiance, the minty smell is just part of the drying/curing process. Everytime ive grown, my buds would be almost scentless while drying then when they went in the jars they would have a really strong wet hay smell that would fade to a grass smell to the minty smell then eventually would settle in on its weed smell.

But the smell varies based on the strain of the plant. Obviously a Skunk plant is gonna have a pungent sour smell where as Blueberry is gonna have a sweet berry smell. So no one can really tell you what its SUPPOSE to smell like

11. #11 LBH, Nov 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2009
    That pic is 4.5 weeks in,not the 8 she went for.No more pics after that, it was a bagseed, grown on the side.

Thanks, got it:rolleyes:

FFOF and the FF nute line. I always flush for at least 2 weeks.

Geez, I never figured the specific turpene structure of a bagseed would get my abilities questioned so much,lmao.