why does my weed smell like burning hair?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by snapitsdatboi, Nov 15, 2022.

1. not sure if i posted this in the right place the first time this so i'm posting it again

tl;dr, just harvested and the herb smells like burnt hair when smoked

been growing a few years, never had anything like this. i've had weed covered in dog fur that smelled better than this stuff. i had two grows, one outdoors, few plants, males culled. one indoors that i started just as an experiment and ended up going to seed. outdoors i used an organic deer repellent called bobbex because i wouldnt be there all the time to keep animals away so i thought it could have been that. now harvesting and drying the seed crop, noticing the same issue so it cant be the bobbex because i didnt use it indoors. is it because i didnt flush? i only fertilized during early veg in the spring time, noticed i over did it and stopped so i figured i wouldnt need to flush since it has been months since the last fertilizing. i even used banana and orange peels mixed in the indoor crop soil to try to get some of those sweet terps into my herb. also, in the past ive never used more than a sprinkle of osmocote to fertilize but this year i used the blue water soluble miracle grow shit. its the only common denominator between the outdoor and indoor.

i'm quite bummed because on the one hand i grew enough weed to get me to next harvest and it medicates me just fine but when i smoke it, it smells o.d like burning hair and its super disappointing because i love the smell of weed. to clarify, the bud smells fine, smells fine in the jar, even tastes great in the joint but for some reason the smoke smells like fucking burning hair and i hate it
    halp?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Smoke generally doesn't smell good. IMO. Sounds normal to me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. not all smoke smells the same. it depends on whats burning. i hate cigarette smoke, but i love weed smoke. the smell of burning hair is awful but the smell of burning sage is soothing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I've seen that miracle grow blue crystals looking fertalizer used a few times by first time growers. There stuff all tasted unsmokable. But I'm not sure if it was the fertalizer.

• Like Like x 1
  5. im starting to feel pretty sure it was the miracle grow. 10/10 would never use again. funny thing is, the weed tastes fine until i smell the smoke. its like the weed is gaslighting me. guess i'll just have to grow more indoor through winter

• Like Like x 1
  6. I was smelling my neighbours weed at the fence regularly and thought it was dank. Then it disappear and I asked about it. He said he threw it in the bin.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Anybody check the missing persons reports around the neighborhood? OP may be buying and smoking evidence.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. What was your drying and curing process? Some plants are great right off the vine, but others absolutely need a good cure.

9. pre trim, let it hang for about a week and a half, more trim then right into some jars freshly bought from the store, burping once or twice a day. my seed crop is hanging currently, and it also smells like burning hair but only when smoked

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sounds like the blue miracle grow is the issue I guess. I had some horrendous grows under my belt using stuff like that as a total no0b.

Poke around some of the stickies in this section and drop the MG.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. I use their Organics mix sometimes but still get the cold shoulder for it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. forgot that i made two threads on this and thought this was actually the other one. in the other one, a kind user suggested i attempt a water cure. so i soaked the buds in distilled water, changing the water twice a day at roughly 12 hour intervals for 3-5 days. at the first couple water changes, the water was the same color that you get coming out of the bottom of the pot when you flush your soil. when the water was clear, i set the buds out directly in front of a fan in a cold room to dry. they look like some reggie ass bush, the smell is more earthy now, not unpleasent, but not some sooper kung pow kronic. it doesnt really stay lit in joints but its fine pipe-weed and it doesnt smell like burnt hair anymore when i smoke it so i guess mission accomplished? more evidence that the culprit was indeed the blue bullshit this whole time also the ash is totally white. no grey or black

• Like Like x 2
  13. thanks for the tip. i'm definitely gonna do this for my next crop. i love espoma. i use it all the time and i've used it in previous years. i just happened to have the blue shit handy this year from a new job. never again. do you know if i can use forest duff as the humus portion? like shredded up leaves, grass, twigs and shit? also, what about wood ash for lime?

• Like Like x 2
  14. #15 FunTimeGrowHap, Dec 15, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2022
    Quality humus is what makes the whole thing work. I would urge a mix of compost and worm castings of the highest grade you can get.

As for wood ash, it works, but is very potent. I have never used it in a container.

Using old leaves is great for the base. If you want to know more about it, look into leaf mould. It does however take some time. Any organic potting mix you can buy by the bag is mostly peat moss and perlite anyways. Adding quality humus and maybe a little more aeration bits goes far.

Espoma totally gets the job done. I have relied on it for most of my homemade potting mixes.

15. Once you taste something from a mix like that, you may find yourself delving deeper into some of the great stuff that has been hammered out on the organic forums.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1