why do you read?

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by FatGrow, Nov 29, 2013.

1. I read to improve character and gain knowledge. Different ideas are good for you, and allow you to live your life in a different manner than before. It's crucial to living well.

• Like Like x 1
  2. a good book can be a window into a world youve never seen, provoke thoughts youve never had, a chance to gain a new perspective. 

• Like Like x 2
  3. Why I like to read depends on what I am reading. Sometimes I like reading just for a good story, to get away from everyday stresses, and to enjoy my alone time but not be stuck in my head. Other times I like reading because it's teaching me something and I enjoy learning new things. 

So in short - I enjoy the relaxation of it or I enjoy the knowledge I'm gaining from it.

• Like Like x 1
    Everything you said is right on the money, this is a GC member who knows his shit, ladies and gentlemen.
     Humans are so droned into their television sets, that it is the only source of education as they leave public schools and join the workforce. They claim that they don't have the time to read, study and gain knowledge on a day to day basis.
     Since the beginning of time, we have been programmed to grow up, graduate, start working, get married, buy real estate, grow old and collect benefits in a retirement center.
     It is time that people think for themselves.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Reading helps you see what you otherwise cannot see, feel what you otherwise cannot feel, learn what takes a 1000years to learn via experience and live to see the world and appreciate all its intricacies. It helps me understand and enjoy my life better. ... Learn a little more to give a little more..

• Like Like x 1
  6. well, personally i like to flex my brain muscles. me being a nerdy kind of guy and all. :metal:

• Like Like x 1
  7. I love the escape and the way my brain is completely absorbed into someone else's perspective. I find it fascinating and relaxing ^_^ . 

• Like Like x 1
  8. This is just a short exert but one of the most important parts of something I had read to me many years ago that led me to become a reader... besides the fact that I enjoy reading of course ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Same reason I watch movies I just prefer to picture it all in my head I guess...

• Like Like x 1
  10. I read to learn more about the universe/world we live in and to understand the different perspectives on certain topics. Mostly science based books though.

"Wait! We can't stop here, this is bat country!"- Fear and Loathing

• Like Like x 1
  11. Its nice to get into  a story.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Reading lets me explore the minds of others. Maybe a dead guy from a 1000 years ago or some drug crazed guy named Hunter S. Thompson.

Reading also makes one smarter.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I love how it takes me away from reality for a while

• Like Like x 2
  14. -It's entertaining
    -You're exposed to new ideas
    -Literature (and any form of art really) will give you a better understanding of X era
    -You learn.
    -It makes you more open minded (and in my case more empathetic)

Gold is green.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I like to read cos it's making my brain cells work, give new information to think about. 

• Like Like x 1
  16. So i can think i'm better than someone else who hasn't read that book

lol nah, but its funny how many people do that shit

i don't read books though. Bores the fuck out of me. Haven't read a book in it's entirety since.... wow... 4 to 5 years now

17. Excape from this universe

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  18. all of the above

• Like Like x 1
  19. To expand vocab, sharpen writing skills, better understand humans including myself, escape
    Also cause I'm in a terrible show hole. All I've got is Madmen and books and I don't understand my generation.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 3
  20. I read because I love getting into other people's minds, it's also wayyyy better than talking to people on my lunch break at work.

• Like Like x 2