Why do you listen to metal?

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by devilsheep, Mar 4, 2014.

1. #1 devilsheep, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2014
    I sometimes ask myself why it is that metal appeals to me, especially as i'm generally not angry or aggressive or have had really any troubles in my life at all for me to relate to the majority of the lyrics..

However I personally just enjoy and appreciate the emotion from the vocals, and the heaviness of the drums and guitar.. I feel that a lot of people can't appreciate metal just because it's so aggressive but it promotes a lot of emotion.

I enjoy metalcore, technical/melodic death metal, progressive, deathcore, all of it has it's own different taste..

Tell me your personal reasons why metal appeals to you so much

2. I am pretty particular when it comes to the heavy metal music I will or will not listen to, because I listen to it for a particular reason. If there is an abundance of screaming or if it comes off sounding something like a mix of metal and pop I typically do not enjoy it. 

My thing for metal, is generally not about the lyrics. Not that vocals aren't an essential part of many heavy metal songs, but I am not so concerned with what the words actually are. I appreciate the music for, similar to what you said, the emotion that is brought on by the combination of the vocals and the heavy drums and guitars.

When I listen to it I am angry, charged up and ready to go. It can be used as an outlet to let some steam out if I am already cooked up about something, or I can just enjoy the angry feelings and think of the fuzz  :D

3. Well the only metal band I listen to is atr, nothing else appeals to me for some reason. I'm a real chill guy too, I've never raised my voice at someone in anger. Its just empowering, the sound is so full and driven it makes me feel the same, like I can do anything.

4. I'm older than many around here(48) I have kids older than many here). My Pops used to say I would grow out of it. I suppose I'm still growing.
    Don't really care much for the really hard screaming metal. I like the classic artist's, Ozzy, Metalica, Motorhead and the like. Not a big Priest or Scorpions fan but I can tolerate em. I suppose that would be more "Heavy Metal" instead of "Metal"?

I like it for the same reason I like smoking cannabis, case it makes me "Feel Good!"(as James Hetfeild would say)
    Feeling good is a good thing!

5. I like most subgenres of metal. I see metal as like a positive outlet for all my negativity anger and hate. It's like a way to channel all the hate and shit. I just love everything about metal really, the double bass and fast drums, the aggressive vocals, the guitars screaming leads and the rhythm guitar's chugga chugga, to the heaviness of the bass guitar hitting your chest at a show. When you go to a metal show it's like everyone's there to hate things and listen to good music TOGETHER, like a mixture of good and tense vibes. I feel without metal i'd be pretty lost to be honest.

6. for the mosh pit...... :eek:  :smoke: