Why do you guys create art?

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by FoxMulder, Mar 10, 2012.

1. I decide what I want to work on because I have a crazy imagination so I just draw stuff that I think up. :smoke: <- That helps too though.

2. #22 Elem3nt17, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2012
    What I like about art:
    I like to create.
    It's relaxing, when im throwing something together in photoshop there is nothing else going on in my head.
    Sometimes it's extremely frustrating when you can't get your vision onto paper/screen, but thats rewarding too.
    I like how images can express emotion or ideas better than words can sometimes.
    I like to challenge my mind and my creativity.
    I like to experience that part in art where directed thought and random inspiration come together. It's just crazy how sometimes artistic ideas come from conceivably nowhere, call it your subconscious, or a muse, or divine inspiration.

What I hate about art:
    Even if I recieve many many compliments on my work, anything I create always looks like amateur shit. Nothing I ever create looks good enough for me, and I have to constantly remind myself when making something that sometimes less is more, not to overdue it.

3. I've always played music simply cause I love music, I'm not sure if its any deeper than that.

As for drawing, theres just something impossibly relaxing about it. I can't really draw well at all, but will spend hours doodling some bullshit and its like I'm shut off from life and forget all my worries.

4. To an extent. Most of my work as a designer focuses on social awareness (I've carved out somewhat of a niche for myself in the NGO sector) and I feel that, in a way, I'm using my ability to help others (albeit, indirectly).

People give me money and tell me what to do.

5. Usually have an idea or beef with something and visualize it onto a canvas.

6. so i have something else to leave behind besides my rotting corpse that is truly ME. among other reasons

7. Well I found out when I was younger I suck at drawing/painting, and have no musical talent lol. I like to write stories and I think I have become pretty decent at it over the past couple years, I do it because....hmm, I dont know. Probably the first time I wrote a story that I liked I was just impressed that I could turn a blank page into something awesome just from what's in my own head.

8. Not sure i just really enjoy it, its also really relaxing.

9. #29 mojoe, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2012
    [quote name='"MidwestBuds"']I create art and music to let out my emotions. If I'm happy, the art will reflect that. Same if I'm sad. I also do it just because it's fun! Seeing what you can get to come out of your head and onto a piece of paper or to come out of an amp is a great journey that is just great to be a part of.[/quote]

I couldnt agree more with this.

10. I havent played music in awhile, but back when we used to jam all the time it was one of the best times of my life. Music is such a pure form of self expression.
    I spin poi, which some argue is an art form, i believe it is. Its all about expression of ones self to me. Anything you make, create or do can be considered art IMO.

11. expression primarily, got all this shit bottled up 'bout life and existance and all that comes with it.

if i were to just begin spoutin it to (some) folk they'd probably just end up avoiding me

also i see creation as timeless

i literally see it as the only purpose in life. in my life anyway.

it's like interfacing between my mind and the world, creating a bridge between the two lands if that makes sense. we take things in we put them back out in our own language and the next form of life will interpret it how they may. art is what separates man from machine.

12. I sing, I draw, I write, I practice photography. I'm not what most call really good at any of those things but in the same instance I always appreciate all forms of art because art helps feed my constant wonder. Life is a process, ideas begin, acts are made and outcomes exist. It's a cycle, a never ending story, something to figure out. My wonder and my idea of endless possibilities about all things in life is what keeps me most happy.

13. I suck at drawing stuff, i try my best though. How do you guys know what your medium is?

14. I still have yet to find a medium that I like the most. Just gotta experiment a lot with everything to find what suits your fancy.

15. I create art to see what my brain is actually trying to convey when words fail me.

16. #36 randommick, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2012
    I feel good about myself when I create something. I'm not always good at expressing myself and when I make a drawing it sort of "centers" me. It's been that way sense I was a kid.

I've always felt like I am a very visual person, so when I draw it's like I can put my feelings out there for someone to understand.

I mostly do detailed pen art, pretty much just very elaborate doodles. Most of them are themed, you can probably tell what emotion I was having at the time by looking at them.

Nothing feels better to me than when someone sees my art and stare into it for minutes, it feels like they are staring at things from my perspective for a moment.

The only way smoking ties into my art really is that I usually will stop what I'm doing and create it if I have an idea, usually I'm just like "Oh, cool, draw that later" and never do.

17. I just don't get how people find what they are good at in art.

18. duude, just try everything!

19. You dont really find what you are good at. As with anything in life you have to practice whatever medium you choose to become good. From there you insert your own little style or flavor to whatever medium you have chosen.

Some people are naturally gifted at a certain medium but anyone can master anything with enough practice. Just choose the art form that interests you most and do it, you might have to practice way more than others, but do it nonetheless.