Why Do We Wear Masks?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Deleted member 881305, Feb 8, 2019.

1. I wasn’t insulting you lol - and sorry if it came out that way. I guess I was insulting the mask deal - because I honestly don’t care about being one of the Sheeple, either.

Stay unique dood.

J

• Like Like x 1
  2. Re: “That’s the plan” -

Well - at least for now that plan for will need to be on the back burner. My wife of almost 30 years and my 3 daughters would hunt me down and find me.

You know, tho, we grew up out in the country with only a few neighbors - and if me and my older brother weren’t scraping and painting or raking or a plethora of chores demanded from our tyrant of a mother I would steal an apple if I could, grab a book - it didn’t even matter what it was really - we read everything we could get our hands on - But I would grab my book in the woods for as long as I could get away with it by myself…. I spent so much time alone out in the woods. I was very comfortable with myself and didn’t need anyone else to play with. Don’t get me wrong sometimes we would get the neighborhood kids together and play capture the flag or football or baseball, but more often than not I was completely content to be off by myself out in the woods. Like I said, I’d make a great hermit.

Most people plain Ol suck.

J

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. I...
    I am a hermit.
    I've lived long enough to be a hermit pensioner.
    I may not always be so (it can get a little lonely).
    I've worn many hats in my life... but I can look ya in the eye and say I never wore a mask.
    I've been the 'good guy' and the 'bad guy' but I've always been me.
    But... here I am, a virtual hermit; I wonder what that says about... me?

4. My first step when I become a hermit selling my phone and using it for house materials. That alone would consider you hermit this day in age.

5. This is exactly how I feel. Very well said!

6. Just checking I couldn’t tell. As for Pic or it didn’t happen I’d rather not due to the fact I’d be banned lol.

7. Unfortunately, what people think of you will have an impact on you in some way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Oh, I didn't mean you. I meant everybody else.

9. we all wear masks, they are a necessity, you do not want to offer what you really think every time..

when you smile and nod your head in a conversation (despite maybe not being interested) you are telling the other person you are paying attention to the conversation and that you are approving (by nodding) for the other person to continue talking

or take for example every day when you walk outside and see other people

we often use a fake smile to let the other person next to us, coming towards us... that we are friendly and offer no threat to them so dont be afraid of me...

there are a lot of masks we wear it if part of the roles we adopt in every day life

youre a father at home with your son and wife but youre different when you go to a party that has close friends and no family..

hell even facebook, people dont add their parents because they present themselves in a different way than they do to their own parents

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. duv = bandana

11. My friend and i have talked about this, because sometimes he says or does things and his GF identifies and points out that he is essentially being me.

We also talked about idolization, I was making the point that idolization is pretty silly, all humans are flawed and shouldn't be idolized, instead we should just assimilate the positive attributes we see in others and give them credit for those positive attributes, but full blown idolization is dangerous.

12. and yet it is the pinnacle of our culture you might say, to idolise, our musicians, our actors, our sportsmen/women. In a sense it seems we have a need to worship something outside ourselves, something that was once filled by the God idea, but which for many is no longer relevant.

• Like Like x 1
  13. That is a good point, do we subconsciously recognize there is a higher/greater self/being to aspire to, and instead of identifying or pursuing that we idolize flawed analogues of the truth?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. #35 Deleted member 940351, Jun 29, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2019
    It is impossible not to wear a "mask" in today's society, especially in the workplace where people are urged to act a certain way and one must be "fake". In terms of private life, some people have just become more and more inclusive, they don't want be open up to people, to show their "true colours" as they either fear criticism from those people. They probably believe they will be rejected by them for showing their true self. They are also scared of appearing weak and different, funny thing is all these people think alike yet will appear standoff-ish when questioned about it.

Why do you think so many people visit therapists? They're simply too afraid to reveal themselves to the people closest to them, be it friends or family, so they a pay a stranger to listen to them. Oh the irony.

When it comes to religious people wearing masks, well that's in the Bible isn't it? "Love thy neighbour as thyself" or something along those lines. Religious people are much more likely to put on a façade as they're urged to get along with everyone even if they dislike them. So they put on a fake smile and keep their negative or rather true feelings bottled up towards those they dislike.

15. Those of us who grew up with a dysfunctional, authoritarian, frequently violent emotionally abusive (negative reinforcing) parent learned to "act" the role as to not rock the boat.

There are all levels of dysfunctional families from the mega rich and powerful down to those in poverty and plenty of masks for everyone yet the poor are likely wearing more transparent masks... The "lowest" disenfranchised from society, without a voice or a prayer or a dollar to send a TV preacher already a multimillionaire... but i digress... Oh they too (the Billy Sunday types) have their masks too thank God...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bottom line: We wear masks to deceive.
    Light exposes darkness and people are ashamed of their deeds which leaves them with guilt, low self esteem, and luggage full of secrets. It's uncomfortable so we try to cover with a mask we think matches everyone elses so we can blend with the crowd.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. I know what u mean, I used to know this chick that would go places wit a butt plug in her butt when she was horny

18. Sorry y’all wrong thread

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. In a country where over 70% of the population claims to be christian and one of the two major political parties is owned by evangelical fundamentalist christianity, I find it difficult to see any real truth in your post. I live in the part of the country known as the bible belt and I grew up as a fundamentalist southern baptist and I'm transgender. If you want to go tit for tat on persecution, I'm ready, but I doubt you are.