why do we Think?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by dorian, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Why do we think or have thoughts?

2. Do we think or have thoughts? Or do we just think we think and have thoughts?

3. The Real Question:
    Why are we the only things on Earth that CAN think?

4. We're not are we?
    Animals may have a less cognitivley developed brain but that doesn't mean they can't think...

5. There are animals that are MUCH smarter than us. Just because they don't communicate in the primitive ways in which we do doesn't make animals any less smarter. What other living things pervert their bodies in such ways as to deny their creator simply because they "heard" it was the best way to attract a mate (shaven chests, private areas, penis enlargers, ect..)? Only we do that.....

When we pass on, we don't use words anymore either. Love is transferred and felt, no words are needed. Watch any "beyond and back" show or read up on life after death experience and see what they say. They ALL say that when they pass on that there is this overwhelming love that is calling to them, only without words.

Just because we have the power to create, solve problems, and dominate other species (as do animals) doesn't make us any better at the ability to think rationally. Has the majority of what man created out of thought really done the human race any good? Some would argue that most of man's creations has brought us away from our purpose, away from nature,....away from LOVE....

6. Did I say we are smarter than most animals no. The Bottlenosed Dolphin is considered to be the most intelligent mammal in the world right behind the Bonobo Monkey. Its called Pack Mentality Fool.

7. "I willingly asked myself questions, one after the other, just for the sake of looking at them. No, not willingly, wisely, so that I might believe I was still there. And yet it meant nothing to me to be still there. I called that thinking. I thought almost without stopping. I didn't dare to stop. Perhaps that was the cause of my innocence. It was a little worse for wear, a little threadbare perhaps, but I was glad to have it, yes, I suppose."
    -Samuel Becket

8. Yes, we're smarter than animals :rolleyes:

9. Show me a species that can communicate completely abstract ideas and concepts, do so nearly instantaneously all around the world, imagine up astounding depictions of worlds that don't even exist, explore (and probably live in, if we were really so inclined) literally ANY ecosystem, not to mention the fact that we've even got fucking space-stations off of the planet where we evolved to live.

Show me a species that has even 1/1,000,000th of the understanding that we have over how not only our bodies work, but how all their (the other animals) bodies work. Show me a species that can raise and nurture nearly any other species' young, if so inclined. Show me a species that exploits other animals to the extent that we do. Yeah, yeah ants can "farm" aphids for honeydew but take a look at a cow pasture or any other kind of livestock farm and you'll see that the scope of what we're doing is infinitely more complex than what they're doing.

Show me a species that has developed enough weaponry to literally cause a global armageddon many times over.

And then, after all of that, maybe just MAYBE I could entertain an argument that humans are not the most intelligent species. I'm not saying we're the kindest, or the most moral, or even the most far-sighted (though we almost certainly are, as lacking as we may be in that department) and you could twist words around and call those types of intelligence, but when it comes to pure understanding there is absolutely NO argument to be made against humanity as being the champion. None.

10. what makes you think all that stuff you listed = intelligence???

11. ...because it's because of our brain power, aka intelligence, that we were able too do it, and the reason other animals can't is because their lack of brain power. How do you think we've came up with everything we have?

12. I'll start by showing ALL the 5 senses human beings are born with: Touch, Taste, smell, hear, and sight. I'll start with what some call "dumb" animals, dogs. Dogs are born with the same senses and are MUCH better than man at literally ALL of these senses we posses....and this is just dogs.

You say just because man can nurture other species makes us more dominant, thus making us smarter? Have you seen what man has done to other species? Have you seen what man has done to nature? Have you seen what man has done to .......man?

You don't really think that weaponry has done anyone or anything in the entire world any good.....do you? Today's weapons only destroy life in MANY ways, this hardly makes us smarter.

13. But OBVIOUSLY it requires extreme intelligence to come up with everything we do. It's not even debatable. Any scientist would laugh at you if you said that animals are smarter than us.

14. the discussion is thoughts not smarts im sure animals some animals think there for they have thoughts

15. Swinggggggggggg and a miss.

Intelligence=understanding of the world and everything in it.

All those things I listed require a much greater understanding of the world than animals have...........obviously..........

Honestly, the fact that this is even being debated here makes me never wanna come back to this forum ever again lmao.

16. haha alright i get where you are coming from and maybe i dont quite agree with what other people are saying here either... HOWEVER all that jazz about us understanding the world around us is all well and good until we destroy ourselves because we 'think' we need to act when all we really need to do is exist

i think the animals have a very zen way of life that i could definitely envy...
    thats my point. i would try to refine it somemore but its Christmas people!! i have some family to go chill with

17. But don't animals act too? :confused:

If anything, plants are the ones who know what's up. But then, they act too....just in slow motion.....

....maybe rocks are the idols we're looking for? I dunno lol. :smoking:

18. anything thats alive has a mind.

even the trees. who knows what they think though..

19. "i should be taller than the other trees" is decent guess if it's a tree among trees.
    "i hope it rains soon" might be better if it is a tree on a plain.

or maybe "i wonder if i could be good at golf."
    but probably "i bet they wouldn't like it if i cut their appendages off and made stuff out of them. wouldn't that be something!"

20. Coz we can't help it?

(meaning, we can't stop thinking or having thoughts even if we tried to.)

--

This thread is a very good example of how people are so fucking full of themselves.

The OP asked a simple question, and nobody... I mean NOBODY answered his question!

And someone thought he was a fucking genius and posted the REAL question.

Fuck...