Why do we NEED laws?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by The King Lizard, Nov 1, 2012.

1. I hear a lot of people saying that we absolutely need laws but before we invented those no one would have said that.. Maybe considering where society is now at we absolutely need them but before that the human race lived for something like 50 thousand year without laws. Why do we seem to think they are essential to life today?

Dicuss :)

2. Humans are infants, we need some structure I guess.

3. Because without laws (and with them) the richest, most violent people, always rise to the top. Without laws I believe it would quickly turn into a dictatorship. Lots of people on here will disagree with that but that's my opinion.

4. have you seen footage of a city before natural disaster , looting murder rape people go crazy without the threat of punishment we need laws just not stupid ones banning harmless awesome substances like marijuana

5. People have always had laws. Every group defines what other members are expected to do and not do. As society grew though laws were eventually written down and refined.

6. I'm just waiting for the zombie apocalypse, so I can do what I fuckin' want.

7. #7 The King Lizard, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2012
    It is true that once you have introduced laws removing them will cause a period of anarchy but it can't stay that way for ever and people will probably able to adapt to what comes next (not saying that it would better than with laws).

Also, a natural disaster is a lot worst than a change in the law system since it's a life threatning situation and people will do almost anything to be able to survive. You can't really compare both.

8. The occidental culture always had laws but many different cultures (many that have been assimilated) didn't have laws. Many laws also never refined.. the rich still have the power and the poor make the system work; it's been that way since the romans.

9. Groups of people have always had rules for what was expected of other members. The rich will always have power. That won't ever change no matter how many laws you make unless you start restricting people's access to their money.

10. what about small communities/tribes?

we could never go back to that unfortunately

11. Because we are animals, and as animals, we have rules and laws.

12. Laws pretty much govern the universe. They aren't always apparent but they are there! I don't know what I am talking about lol

13. We need laws to protect life and property, so that we can have a fair playing field for voluntary association as free human beings. If a given law does nothing to protect life or legitimate property, it is utterly useless and corrupt beyond measure. As much as I hate government in all of its forms, I must admit that some measure of objective law is necessary to uphold individual liberty.

Real liberty is the ability to do whatever you want so long as you don't infringe upon the life, freedom, or property of another. The government should be strictly limited to enforcing a legal standard in defense of individual life and property. Any other government function is useless, inefficient, and ultimately oppressive.

14. And with them this hasn't happened?

15. #15 Rayban, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2012
    many laws help achieve this, not prevent it

16. It has, but not to the same extent. We certainly don't have a violent dictatorship.

17. laws should be limited to punishing actions/creations that harm...

Judges used to levy punishments based on 'harm' done, not by dictates of mandatory punishments without regard to the damage/harm suffered by a victim, and they called that concept, JUSTICE.

...been a long long time since there was any real justice in the world...way too long...

18. [quote name='"cball"']laws should be limited to punishing actions/creations that harm...

Judges used to levy punishments based on 'harm' done, not by dictates of mandatory punishments without regard to the damage/harm suffered by a victim, and they called that concept, JUSTICE.

...been a long long time since there was any real justice in the world...way too long...[/quote]

I agree with this.

19. [quote name='"The King Lizard"']I hear a lot of people saying that we absolutely need laws but before we invented those no one would have said that.. Maybe considering where society is now at we absolutely need them but before that the human race lived for something like 50 thousand year without laws. Why do we seem to think they are essential to life today?

Dicuss :)[/quote]

BECAUSE PEOPLE NOW A DAYS ARE REETS

It's hard to find chill people now a days..

20. It's a matter of definition. We don't need laws to survive, but they are handy in keeping a society. General rules that we agree on. Like no rape.

Unfortunately we have countless unnecessary laws.