Why do we have a sense of a humour?

Discussion in 'Grasscity Forum Humor' started by VikingToker, Nov 17, 2011.

1. In the sense that you have a mouth so you can ingest food, and you have eyes so you can see prey and predators, etc.
    Why do we have a sense of humour?

inb4 aliens

2. because without this would be a boring ass place.

3. [​IMG]

i dont think that answers it, really

who says this can't be a boring ass place, right? why does it have to be funny? why is it?

4. In today's society....... it's to abuse and insult people and use the excuse "it was just a joke , man !"

5. Because like, monkey man A once told a story and it had an unexpected ending. Monkey man B who was listening found it funny. Monkey bystander woman somehow found this attractive. This led to boning then the gene of humor was spread to every single descendent of human beings for if they didn't, humans would have went extinct from boredom. Fact, I was told so.

6. to promote social bonding...would anybody like anybody if there weren't jokes to spread around

7. I believe laughter was a precursor for language.

I was watching this thing on dogs, and they made an interesting point about early hunters.

One hunter must of seen a trapped wolf and laughed to alert other hunters know they are not in danger.

8. What difference would we know if we had never experienced humor in the first place though? We don't need it to survive..

9. Yeah, I think so. I know some people who have strong bonds despite rarely cracking smiles or jokes.
    I see what you mean tho. It just seems a really... complex brain function, for something like social bonding. But then again, social bonding is pretty complex.

I was on a long trip with my best bud the other day, and when I asked him the question, he answered something along those lines. He said he'd seen some lecture on it where the professor had mentioned a river crossing as an example. Early humans would be trying to cross the river, and one who found the crossing would laugh, as a sign of "something joyous has been found". You know?

10. This would be just a purpose of it though.. how would it actually come about to being through random genetic changes?

11. That's the nut right there, man. What kind of weirdass genetic mutations have given us a sense of humour? Cos there's a science behind it. There's a certain connection of electrical impulses in the biochemistry of our brain that gives us everything from love to hate to laughter - so there's gotta be some reason for the genetic mutation to facilitate that.

12. It's just like art and music, or seeing in a wide array of colors. Of course we are told the designed function of these features, but how would they have actually came around to being through genetic mutations and chance?

These are things seemingly put here to make life more enjoyable.. we don't have to create music or have the capacity to appreciate it, we don't even have to see in color, but it's there almost as if intentionally for us to enjoy, not determining life or death situations.

13. There's another thing. Music. What the fuck did that come out of. How come certain frequencies in combination with others trigger intense human emotions. How come sound makes us wanna dance. How come it can make us cry.

Love I understand, that's easy to pin on evolution. But music, comedy, artforms like that?

[​IMG]

14. it's not for the individual survival, but for the whole species. if there were no comedy, violence could break out much easier, and back in the day when there were communities of just 5-20 people that could have meant death for everyone.

i find it hard to believe people can form a close bond without ever having laughed together, or at least cracked genuine smiles. maybe now they don't do it as often, but when you first meet someone it's the laughter that will bond people together.

it's definitely complex. i'm no scientist or anything but for the people asking how genes could have created things like love of art/comedy, it's all random chance. every new generation has the same genes as the parent, with a few random changes at the end of the sequence. among the millions of non-laughing humans, one must have mutated a gene (stemming from the genes that cause things bonding/happiness/smiling or anything else we can associate with laughter) that caused it to perceive humorous patterns in the environment that are out of the ordinary, (e.g. a monkey sees another monkey fall off a tree and laughs his ass off cause he knows that doesn't normally happen) and be able to share it with others of its kind, and get pleasure out of it.

15. either that or a few million years ago one smart monkey rolled up a joint and began laughing his tits off :smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke:

16. I've met some very very mundane dry families who don't get out much yet they're still alive.. lol

I like you're idea that we smoked weed so we got a sense of humor better lol

17. I don't have a sense of humor. Well I do, but I don't laugh anymore. I chuckle but never laugh. I used to however. Life without laughing sucks. Trust me.

18. That sucks man. That really sucks. Why never laugh? Something happen to you?

19. So we dont have the sudden urge to put a pistol to our skulls! If I couldnt laugh at the world and myself and all the fucked up shit that happens I woulda done that shit a long time ago. A sense of humor keeps us alive:D