why do we glorify violence?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by randgen, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Four words...

It's in our nature.

2. It may be part of our nature, but that doesn't mean we have to choose to entertain it. We may like it, feel connected to it, even get pleasure from it, but it is a choice whether we seek it out or not.

Is there a price for doing so? Is there a price for only doing so? I happen to like experiencing all the different emotions our entertainment has to offer. They cause me to reflect on things of a higher nature, make me feel things I don't always feel in normal life. This I consider to be a good use of the story telling business. While violence has its place in reflecting our world as it is, glorifying it only helps to make it seem acceptable and desired.

They say life reflects art or is it art reflects life. Whichever it is, I prefer to live in a world where I don't have to see violence gloryfied in drama as if it is real life, in the same way that I avoid the media telling me how to think about what they say happens in the real world.

3. #23 rain dancer, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
    I think a better question is why are we so sensitive to violence now?

Our births a violent process, circumcision, the act of sex is the most animal like thing we do, aside from breast feeding.

The way we slaughter animals, we've removed that violent aspect of our lives. Violence is as part of us as eating, procreating and birthing. The fact that we deny ourselves part of the process IMO, is part of why people are offended by whatever shocks them.

I also think the fact that violence carries a negative vibe is part of why the word is demonized, when really, it only describes a process, or if you will, a means to an end, ie, eating.

Hell it could be said, " I violently thrust the hoe into the ground, turning it in such a violent manner, so as to tear the earth asunder." - no negative connotation there.

Btw, I feel no need to debate with any of you as we're all bringing valid points to the discussion. Instead I constantly look at things from a different angle, so as not to miss an interpretation and leave the aggressive debate up to those who've got more testosterone than I care to discuss, so please don't be offended if I choose not to elaborate. I leave it up to you to turn the gears upstairs as I'm offering nothing more than a subjective observation.

4. I always wonder how people who have actually gone through real combat feel when they see a game like call of duty where people constantly get killed and come back, essentially desensitizing and glorifying war. How would someone feel when they may have seen close friends killed and have had to kill others themselves.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using GC Forum

5. #25 rain dancer, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
    If I can add some insight into your post. My cousin killed a bunch of armed kids in Iraq and he's mentally scarred now. When he plays videogames, he really gets into it. We played some desert storm and he expressed rage, tears, and all kinds of extreme reactions to the game, back in the ps2 conflict desert storm game, back in the day, 2003-4ish.

Since then I've become friends with a lot of vets. One day I presented a Chinese pellet gun to a Vietnam vet friend. He asked how loud it was, I cocked it and fired away from him. He instantly grabbed the gun from me, snapped to attention and stood there, paranoid, sweating, breathing hard and searching for an enemy. He was wounded in combat and relied on the ears of his only surviving squad member who relied on his eyes to survive as they were both wounded. They constantly react to everything. There is a video I saw earlier this year of a soldier driving. It's the most difficult thing for them to do when they return as they perceive any object that moves quickly as a threat and are constantly searching the distance for threats.

In Iraq, when a threat is evident they do the opposite of us. They speed up and drive irrationally and erratic, to get away. The best description I've heard from my marine friends is that they teach them to kill, but don't teach them to turn it offor cope with killing. Most vets I know drink and cry a lot. I live next to people whose whole lives were affected by having parents who were vets of war. Lots of stagnant, sad people. On the other hand, a lot of the older vets got their act together after war, but none even close to being normal in any sense of the word and would slide into depression without constant (self)medication.

I've interviewed a lot of them to create records for their families.

Never met a vet yet that could stomach saving private Ryan.

Related articles.
    http://m.nbcnews.com/technology/ingame/vets-warn-soldiers-ptsd-avoid-war-games-125242
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57489790/auto-anxiety-some-returning-veterans-struggle-with-driving/

6. Wrong. It's in our nature to be assertive and to exert force/power... but, not to be violent.

7. Why do I play GTA and stab random homeless people? I honestly don't know. I get enjoyment out of it, lets me release some tension for the time being.

8. History says otherwise

9. Thanks for the reply, I'm reading the articles now

Sent from my iPhone 5 using GC Forum

10. Because it's awesome.

11. Glad to be of service :)

12. Well because thats how you control people

By scaring them with violence ie Japan

13. You go around forcing vets to watch saving private ryan for your own amusement?

14. No, but it's clear by your bizarre response that you go around twisting people words for your own amusement. I'd recommend some reading comprehension, as I believe it will help your ability to understand what you read.

But since you're so confused by one line, "never met a vet who could stomach saving private Ryan," let me elaborate, in case anyone is as confused as you. Vets tell me that the one war movie that they cannot bring themselves to watch is, Saving Private Ryan. They tell me it's too real and gives them flashbacks.