why do they call it 'tripping'

Discussion in 'General' started by weedzilla420, Feb 14, 2006.

1. i was just wandering why halluncinating on a psychedelic is called 'tripping'. i don't see how the word really fits what's going on. there is no actual tripping involved unless you like fall over something.
    i remember watching this episode from 3rd rock from the sun. Dick and Mary were talking to each other about the 60's and Mary asked dick if he'd ever dropped acid. He said yeah. She asked if he tripped and he said yes, that's why he dropped it.

2. I imagine it's because your mind goes on an incredible journey. After a good day of tripping, regardless of whether or not you went anywhere, you feel genuinely spent, mentally and physically.

3. Yup. Just goin for a trip.. in my head. thats all.

4. no doubt.

5. have you ever asked yourself why they call it "getting stoned"? that one doesnt make sense either..not to me atleast

6. eh id say that being stoned is like being to high to move without great effort..like a rock or stone

7. good point, and what about "im ripped"

8. like you are torn like a pair of jeans...haha no just fuckin around cause it dont make sense

how about blasted, blown, my favorite word ever "blozzed" fuckin around with that blozz is gay.

9. Yea that guy "Doc Blozz" or whatever was gettin on my nerves

10. actually theres a very specific reason why its called tripping, the government used to feed its troops acid as an experiment to see if it'd improve performance, and when the soldiers were out all fucked up on acid they would call it tripping cuz they'd be taking trips through the woods or whatever the fuck it is that soldiers do besides shoot people haha

11. Damn, neg, I didn't know that. I never really thought about it though, I just knew I was getting fucked up and having a good time figuring out the universe.

12. hah nice one drug chemist :D