Why do some people say whey doesn't work?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by SixtyNine, Mar 12, 2012.

1. It works for me and my friends. I notice significant results when I use it.

2. Same reason why people say other things don't work. Just by taking whey you aren't going to get results. You have to be doing the other things right, nutrition, rest, proper programming and exercise selection. If you are taking whey and not doing these other things it will not do anything.

3. Correlation =/= Causation

4. yah whey is just protien so if you dont work out then its just like eating extra protien. you have to be drikning your whey at the right times and you should be working out with it

5. Protein intake is overrated. Most peopls get more than enough protein. Especially if you eat meat 2 or more times a day.

If your not eating enough fiber your not going to digest all the protein.also you can only.use so much at once, so eating meals with tons of protein is useless.

Good.diet and.exersice are most important. Whey is a convenieng way to supplement extra protein during your non meal hours, but drinking it with a steak is probly pointless

6. More than enough for what? To build muscle, which is the main reason people take protein extracts I think, you need a lot more than what you would need for maintenance.

The myth that you can only absorb so much protein at once is just that, a myth.

OP, whey works man, it's protein. If it's not working for somebody then they've got other problems with their regimen. I don't really use it myself because it tastes like shit and I'd rather get my protein from great tasting meat and veggies.

7. Yeah I was talking about ppl like him lol

8. [quote name='"JuanRing"']

More than enough for what? To build muscle, which is the main reason people take protein extracts I think, you need a lot more than what you would need for maintenance.

The myth that you can only absorb so much protein at once is just that, a myth.

OP, whey works man, it's protein. If it's not working for somebody then they've got other problems with their regimen. I don't really use it myself because it tastes like shit and I'd rather get my protein from great tasting meat and veggies.[/quote]

The myth is that you need twice your body weight in grams of protein to gain muscle. There is no clinical evidence showing benefits from the rediculous ammounts of protein some people think you need.
    You can get plenty buff on 30-40 grams a day, thats still a lot mote than anyone needs.

9. Huh I will have to look into that. I thought it was your weight plus half, not double, but I get your point. I thought it was insane that I needed to eat like 180 grams of protein a day. Not exactly 180 but it was def over 150. My mom buys frozen chicken (and fresh chicken) and the packages says it has 23 grams of protein. So I would have to eat a shitt ton of chicken to fulfill that 180 grams/day.

10. Its at least 1 gram of protein per lb you weigh per day. If you want to stuff yourself to reach that go for it. Whey is great for making up the difference though. You're not going to gain shit on 30-40 grams of protein a day.

11. ^If that's the case I am almost 100% certain I am getting enough protein.

12. [quote name='"Xblunt-manX"']

Huh I will have to look into that. I thought it was your weight plus half, not double, but I get your point. I thought it was insane that I needed to eat like 180 grams of protein a day. Not exactly 180 but it was def over 150. My mom buys frozen chicken (and fresh chicken) and the packages says it has 23 grams of protein. So I would have to eat a shitt ton of chicken to fulfill that 180 grams/day.[/quote]

Its true, its almost impossible.for anyone to eat the ammount of protein these people recommend. Protein drinks and supplements are the only.way. Its a myth made up to.sell protein extracts. If you eat lots of meat, youll gain plenty of muscle

13. I just bought some whey protein but that's because I don't always eat meat everyday. It's usually 1-3 times a week. Other than that I eat sandwiches and other things with a small amount of protein, so it feels like I'm binging on food.

14. [quote name='"Xblunt-manX"']
    I just bought some whey protein but that's because I don't always eat meat everyday. It's usually 1-3 times a week. Other than that I eat sandwiches and other things with a small amount of protein, so it feels like I'm binging on food.[/quote]

Well on the subject of weather or not whey works. It does. It is a convenient way to get extra protein. I myself am allergic to milk, and soy, so eggs are pretty much the only pure protein suppliment i can take.

Though as soy allergies become more well known, rice protein is making its way onto the market. Maybe it already is i havnt been to the nutrition store in a while.

On to my previous claim, i would like to see some clinical evidence on weather or not extreme protein actually makes a significant difference. Im confident in my previous claims that extra protein is a useless myth started to sell protein supplements, but i am willing to believe actual clinical trials if any exist.

There are huge debates in the diet world and lots of corilations and peopls bragging results and talking about biochemestry, but clinical trials are rare for some reason.

15. You need around your body weight in grams per day. Whey is the most efficient kind to help build muscle. More effective than soy protein, etc.

To achieve consuming that much protein I usually try to take in around 4 scoops of whey protein per day (comes to be 100 grams right there) and try and get the rest from the food I eat during the day.

16. #16 JuanRing, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2012
    I will agree that twice your body weight in grams is excessive. I don't see how anyone would need that much. Matching your body weight in grams of protein when trying to build muscle is a good goal to shoot for.

The second part I completely disagree with. Many people, especially men need much more than 30 grams per day, and you certainly wouldn't make muscular gains with a 30 gram/day diet, an 8 ounce steak contains more protein than that.

17. #17 Beef Supreme, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2012
    Icecream, strawberries, banana, blueberries, and some of that whey will bulk you right up. I drink two a day, once in the morning when I wake up and once after I workout; I trained before with just eating 2400+ calories of whole food and I haven't made gains near as fast as I have with recovery protein shakes thrown in.

18. #18 stupidstuff, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2012
    The reason it is considered not a good source of protein for a meal replacement On it's own as is it digests and motabolizes to fast and leaves the muscles starved mid way through there rebuilding process. When used properly it works great to boost protein intake. Take it with a meal for best results or mix it with other nonwhey protein supplements.

Consistancy in your workout is more important than counting grams of protein. Just three somewhat balanced meals a day and keep working out. This will achieve the results most want.

19. Whey is OK. I use whey in the morning SOMETIMES when i don't feel like cooking chicken breasts. Chicken breasts is absolutely the better option. The reason why chicken breasts and food sources of protein is better because it stays in your body longer. Also you will get a lot fuller from 2 chicken breasts then 2 scoops of whey. I only use it because of the convenience when i dont feel like cooking early in the morning sometimes. Seriously a big tub of protein powder lasts me over a year lol. Also their is heavy metals in protein shakes so if you are having tuna as well as protein shakes you could be overdosing your body with heavy metals like mercury and arsenic. Best bet is to stay with things like chicken,beef, and fish. Also dairy products like egg whites are a great source of protein. If you really want whey protein limit yourself and get most of your protein from food.

Protein Drinks: What our tests found, Consumer Reports

20. Whey protein doesnt do much. Its just a supplement to your diet. Its just a high serving of protein. Drinking a whey shake is the same as eating a 4oz piece of chicken. Whey shake is just a convenient way to get a lot of protein. Supplements are bot magic the most important thing is to maintain a consistent workout routine, eat alot of food,( 1.5gxbodylbs). For example 150lb person eats 225g of protein/day. An lastly rest , 8hrs of sleep a night.