Why do so many people use liquid fertilizers?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by dubaba, Mar 5, 2017.

1. #1 dubaba, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    I come from an agricultural backround, ive been growing vegetable most of my life. However, in my expedience I rarely ever saw people using liquid fertilizers other than maybe fish emulsion.

My question is why do I see so many people in the marijuana industry using all these liquid fertilizers? It seems to me like a very expensive marketing ploy that probably leads to a lot of over-fertilization(AKA MONEY).

Im not trying to hate either, just a curious novice. Does it actually work better than just using nutrient rich soil and amending with dry fertilizers if needed?

Also since nutrients like nitrogen and phosphorus are water soluble, how much of these nutrients simply pass through the soil medium without ever being taken up by plants?

2. Its all part of the mj buisness.

You need their fertilizers to grow big huge dank ass yeilds , And there is not other way....

Shiny bottles, new formulas, all promising huge yeilds and potent buds.

On yop of that once you start using those bottled nutes you have to continue using them all the eay through the grow... But wait theres more!

You cant grow huge big buds with only one of our bottles !!! You need the whole product line!!!

Grow, bloom, extra grow, extra bloom, super extra bloom, extra sick radical bloom !!!! You need 12 different bottles to achieve huge yeilds!

... I switch to living orgainc recycled soil ( no till ) and im never looking back. I spend maybe 100$ a year on nuterients for my plants and thats it. One bottled nutreint line could cost 100$ and last one grow...

• Like Like x 3
  3. Thats exactly what I was thinking, ive always been successful growing tomatoes that way why wouldnt it work with weed lol.

4. #4 yazdan, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    manure, guano, and more manure.
    oh, and the answer to your question:
    Because they're new to growing and have no idea how our ancestors grew their crops for ~15,000 years.
    or
    Looking for a fast solution which works quickly on cash crops.

5. I use boost and bloom from manufacturer IONIC. I don't use nutrients in veg, I use soil with perlite and some other harmless goodies to give them sufficient nutrients during the vegetative stage. As soon as I switch to flowering i begin to use the boost and bloom. The nutrients provide the plants with a specific balance of Phosphorus and potassium which are needed for flowering in a specific ratio, and many other chemicals because the soil no longer has any nutrients to provide to the plant as they were used up in veg. If the nutrients weren't used the plants wouldn't be half as big or produce half the yield as they would with the nutrients. Before harvest the plants have plain water for two weeks to flush out the nutrients so the finished product has no harsh taste / smell and is clean of any nutrients as the plant has metabolised them all out when it's been drinking the plain water. [gasp for air] .. its defo worth the money for the nutrients I wouldn't go without them, but I have found the cheapest ones are just as good as the expensive ones. That's why I buy the cheapest. The plants don't get over fertilised as they are set at a balanced ratio and are measured when mixing with the feed with an EC meter to make sure they have the correct amount each time.
    I eat organic vegetables and meat only. And I don't see a problem with using nutes with cannabis as it's metabolised out of the plant quickly before harvest and they aren't ingested by the body.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. Tomatoes and weed are very similar in their needs...

Over the last couple years i have seen an increase in orgainc marijuana growing. I think it just takes time for people they are getting ripping off...

Iv been to a couple mj conventions and i never find booths selling orgainc products.. I see huge nutrient compains pushing their products...

• Like Like x 1
  7. dat rhyme doe!

• Like Like x 1
  8. The founder of Honest Marijuana - Organic Marijuana Grown In Colorado has some good articles about growing organic and also some books available for download. Highly recommended.

9. I'm using liquid fert for my 1st grow, and it's been successful so far (5 wk old Northern Lights Autos) It was just easier for me to start off with. I'm only using 3 bottles (FF Trio) but it's a tried and tested method, and so many other growers are also using it so if I need help/ have a question they can easily give me an accurate answer. Which is also great, maybe someday i'll try an all organic grow brewing my own compost tea's lol but for now this works for me

Post LST Day 34 (Wk 4).png

• Like Like x 2
  10. Sorry but I think you misunderstand. I'm not getting ripped off, you will get twice the yield with nutrients as you would with none.
    As for tomatoes, they are far from the same as cannabis. Tomato plants need to be stressed out to get sweeter tomatoes I've grown veg for years. Not the case with cannabis, if you stress it out the yields will be shite.

11. anyone know when i should start using rhizotonic with autoflower seedlings? coytledons came up this morning. boibizz lite mix

12. The liquid nutes I use have lasted over 2 grows and still have a ton left, so that may be a bit of an exaggeration

• Like Like x 1
  13. You can get a 20 litre drum of ionic bloom for 50$

14. Hell, you can get a set of liquid nutes for $30 that includes 10+ different bottles lol, enough for at least a few grows.

OP, the reason most people prefer liquid nutes is for complete control over how much nutrients they give them.

• Like Like x 1