Why do so many people have problems with pit bulls?

Discussion in 'Pets' started by TheLeftHand, Mar 8, 2013.

1. I mean look, he beat me up and stole my weed!

Attached Files:

2. Why do people hate weed because they don't do anything but watch fox news and see "Weed is bad story at 11" and "Pit bull fight story at 10" ... The Government mannnn.

My pit mix :)

Attached Files:

3. These dogs have a negative stigma because of the way media portrays the dog and BAD OWNERS. First off, they call any bull dog looking mutt a pit bull. When in reality most people do not know what an American Pit Bull Terrier is.

An American Pit Bull Terrier is very predictable dog who shows no human aggression as that is not a desired trait. Dog Aggression is an acceptable trait. Any dog back in the day that showed human aggression was culled and never saw the pit, let alone bred.
    Now a days with so many back yard breeders pumping out mutts without accomplishments and health testing. If your dog is not awarded in any venue than it is not worthy of being bred and if it is bred, your a byb. They pass off these bully mutts as pit bulls which they are not. Then these dogs jump a fence, or get out and attack a dog, a kid etc and who does the media blame PIT BULL's.
    I mean search google and see how many "blue" dogs are being passed off as American Pit Bull Terriers. There is no blue (dilute) color in Apbt genetics. Those dogs are AM bullies or AM bullie mixes.

There is only one type of "pit bull" and that is the American Pit Bull Terrier. If your dog is not papered and the ancestors can't be traced back decades and decades it's not an apbt.

It makes me sick to see these people selling dogs for thousands.... and they are all mutts. :mad: Advertising for "big heads" "big this big that" Funny thing is the breed standards are 25-55 lbs. Lot's of people call their dogs "pit bulls" and they are 65+ lbs.

I have two APBT's 30lbs and 43 lbs at their conditioned weight and two small dogs as well. They are great dogs and I admire them for their desire to please, the drive, ability to complete a task no matter the circumstance.

I will say some years back I was biased towards "pit bulls" too. I was walking my small dog with my girlfriend when a 70+lb bulldog mutt knocked down a 6 ft wood fence and charged at us. In short we were all ok and the dog was most likely PTS. But, I will say I remained somewhat biased until I actually, educated my self about the breed and realized even though the media and general public would call the dog a pit bull it was in reality a big mutt.

4. My friend has a pit. Almost ruined one of my favorite shirts from being so aggressively friendly.

5. i live in a neighborhood. mostly black people, some mexicans, one or two white familys

mostly pitbulls. some chihuahuas (mexican family lol) and they are loose and they always run after me an my bike when i ride by
    one enver caught me yet ol

all the pitbulls are chained up in the backyards. where all they do is sit in the yard chained up doing nothing.
    i wonder why do peple own their dogs if ll they do is let them sit ona chain

i seen people walking their pitbull dog...on a heavy ass chain lol
    i actauly saw one kid training his pitbull, this was in the ghetto houston....i seen the wa the kid presente dhimself tho..he had somethign going on u can tell

mostly i seen the way most people treat their pits in a mean agresive way, tring to make the dog agresive, why i ask? cause its cool and they will protect the house they say...

very rarly i have seen people take good care of their pit, like a member of family, for the right reason, and those dogs are evry well behavived dogs. very strong tho

but since most people treat their pits like shit, the dog gets loose and does whata dog does

sad tho

6. I've never had pit bulls or even really been around them, but, when I was in school I had a friend that had a pit. I'd been over a few times and he seemed like the nicest dog. I was not there but at one point the pit was out front of their house and saw a rabbit in the neighbors yard. Ran over and killed the rabbit in one byte and then turned on the neighbors child. The pit ended up being put down and they were sued for quite a bit of cash.

7. Im pretty sure most rapists and murderers werent raised very well either... So wheres their sympathy? They could have been kind upstanding members of society just as easily.

just applying some of that internet pitbull defense league logic.

Why dont we just start punishing the parents of all the rapists. They wouldnt have been rapists if they were raised properly. O yeah thats because rapists arent all cute and fuzzy

8. Well dogs and humans are a tad diffrent. As humans we have capapibility to learn right from wrong as our parents teach it. And again as a adult as society sees it. A dog doesnt they only kniw what they are taught

" you don't have to go home but you can't stay here.. "

9. ^This, pitbulls are actually very sweet, loyal and great family/guard dogs. Everytime I see someone with a pit, I compliment them on their beautiful dog. I plan on a getting a red nose from my friend's mom who breeds them.:)

10. They're, contraction for "they are" stupid ;)

11. Lol at red nose. Red nose, blue nose whatever is not a type of dog. There is one type of "pit bull" and it is an American Pit Bull Terrier. Don't believe into the backyard breeders hype. If your breeder is breeding for nose color or hair color in short they are a byb.
    The only "red nosed" dogs that can be referred to as red nose is possibly the OFRN from hempill lines back in the day...

12. It makes me pretty damn happy to see some legitimately educated opinions on here about Pitbulls or Bully Breeds or whatever umbrella term you want to call them. But in this case I'll just call them Pitbulls.

My experience with these dogs (just personal, I'm not a trainer) goes back to my childhood. My uncle lived in England for a bit and while he was there he got a Staffordshire Bull Terrier and she was the sweetest dog. As I grew older and met more people I ultimately met more Pitbull types, from American Pit Bull Terriers to American Staffordshire Terriers etc. Now keep in mind there really isnt a difference between most of these dogs besides breeding techniques I guess but thats another story. Anyway, at one point one of the dudes that I was friends with years back had 3 Pitbulls (along with about 12 other assorted dogs and a few cats, no joke) and only one was human aggressive, the other 2 were unbelievably friendly both with people and the other dogs and cats. But it never really crossed my mind to actually own one. Not until a few years later atleast when my best friend at the time, who lived across the street from me and before we knew about rescues and whatnot, bought a Pitbull puppy. To this day that dog is friendly and well behaved.

Ultimately, by chance, my brother was looking online at Pet Finder and saw a beautiful female brindle Pitbull that had been on death row for a few months, but wasnt put down because she was so well behaved, and we ended up rescuing her, in part to break the whole vicious stereotype, but also because its just the right thing to do. We still have her, and just rescued another, and they became best friends right away. Even the ones that a lot of time in shelters and dont get proper training in the beginning can still make amazing companions if you're a decent human being.

And if you arent? Well, we all know the result of that. But any breed of dog can end up that way so to have a problem with Pitbulls means you're probably not too smart, an asshole, or both. Just look at the way some people behave towards EACH OTHER for more proof, and then tell me if you really feel a dog is the one responsible for the wrong doing.

13. dont you have anything else important in your life to care about I was probably high when I wrote that, so go away.

14. Stereotypes are a powerful idea.

15. How strange that those are my exact thoughts and that my husband and I have never come across a bad one also. The theory of a "Bad" pit bull is all in the media. They hardly exist. So glad someone agrees with to a tee!
    Melp

16. Any dog can turn violent.

Just like any person can.

Golden retrievers are actually more prone to biting without warning than other dogs.

17. The media spends two days reporting on a pit bull type (really now did they check the DNA or did it just look like one) dog that attacks a person. The same media spends 40 seconds telling about an APBT that saved a family or someone from harm. It's not as sensational when it's not so dramatic. I have one sleeping in the chair across from me, 7 y/o bitch that has never spent a night outside or been on a chain nor has she ever bitten anyone. Would she bite someone? Heck yes she would. She's a dog.
    RESPONSIBLE OWNERS RAISE RESPONSIBLE DOGS!!!!

18. Because fucking idiots ruin it for the rest of us.

19. Because they are built and can tear people up quickly. There not born mean, but people who abuse them or neglect them make them aggressive and they can hurt people easily so they get a bad rep.

20. To an extent responsible owners raise responsible dogs.... There are plenty of horribly bred dogs that have problems ranging from temperament issues (anxiety,fear agression etc) Dogs that show any aggression towards humans should be culled to stop the spread of bad traits.
    Ofcourse though in defense of it's owner and certain circumstances is attacking a human acceptable.
    Also, there is NOTHING wrong with an outside dog and a dog on a chain spot. I will say that there is nothing wrong with a PROPER chain spot.... Not a heavy chain wrapped around it's neck and staked into the ground.
    Lot's of the best bred apbt's are kept on chain spots and are NOT indoor dogs.
    You can be a responsible owner and have a dog be an outside dog. But, in general I agree with your post.

No they are not born mean BUT, they are born with the pre-deposition towards Dog aggression. American Pit Bull Terriers have a huge prey drive and that's what they were bred to do. My dogs hunt, dock jump, agility, weightpull and all sorts of activites. They also live with two 10 lb dogs. I take there drive and focus it on other activities.

Most dogs you read about attacking people are NOT American pit bull terriers. Instead they are byb mutts that the media and general public put into a non existent category call "pit bulls". There is ONE type of "pit bull" and it is the American Pit Bull Terrier

For those who own and love APBT'S and bully breeds in general should check out Game-dog and pitbull-chat forums. Lot's of very knowledgeable owners who try hard to stop the spread of ignorance towards bully breeds.