Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Why do people seem to think strain names are bogus?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Goggalor, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Whenever someone says "I picked up some Blue Dream/Sour D/OG/etc", someone always wants to say that everytime someone says the name of a strain it's bs and made up and that there's absolutely no way to know what you're getting unless you know the grower. Do people really believe this? Strains like Sour D and Blue Dream are extremely easy to identify by smell alone most of the time. People act like it's this big conspiracy dealers have to rip people off by telling them a name. Of course if someone says something like "triply decker og super haze" then it's obviously bs, but if you have a decent general knowledge of strains it's decently easy to know when it's legit and when it's not.

2. Jealousy that they dont get strain selection and others do.....

I think a lot of them dont realize in 14 states we can go and actually shop for the strains we want, and people will go and buy oz's of it and sell it and it goes all over the black market anyway.....

But if you ask me, its either because they are an ass, or are jealous lol

3. I think he might be referring to when you get street pick ups, haha

4. I've been that person on rare occasions when I can honestly tell it's not the strain named. Also I believe some people try to take advantage of others by using "brand name" marijuana strain names to pass off every day mid to high end weed for a higher price to silly peoples.

lmao thankfully I don't have to worry about any of the bs anymore :)

5. I don't even live in a medical state or have my card, I just read about different strains all day every day so when I hear a name most of the time I can tell right away if it's a legit name. Then I recall reviews/other articles I've read about those strains and compare that to the bud I'm getting. Factors like smell, taste, bud structure, buzz type. I'm not an encyclopedia on weed or anything, but there are definitely a handful of strains that I could identify 100% by smell. Are there ones that are similar? Sure, but there are unique traits that separate strains like Sour/Sweet Diesel and various OG's for example.

6. Im aware of that, i was saying there are 14 medical states now supplying medical marijuana to the black market, with a legit name on all of the bud that comes from it.... ill bet at LEAST 15% of the mmj in cali, isnt used my mmj card holders.... i was more so saying that WITH the mmj coming up, the street is getting flooded with strain names and shit.... but before it was medical i was still getting legit strains and shit here in CO..... people just sometimes cant fathom maybe people get legit strains hahaha you know?

7. haha yea before i was med i would sometimes get a strain that just obviously wasnt what its said to be, and i agree sometimes people throw names on their shit for no reason other than profit, but i think op means when you see people who are like "there is no way you know its XXXX strain because dealers never have the right name they just want money" as if they know every dealer in the world hahahaha

8. Yeah I've definitely experienced my fair share of that haha. And I think a big reason I can identify so much of the bud I get properly is because a lot of it does come from dispensaries in Cali, Oregon, and Colorado. The guys I go through get a lot of their stuff from warehouses in california that distribute medical marijuana to dispensaries around the area. I only go through people that I know are knowledgeable themselves about weed, which they should be, as they are trying to sell a product and they should know their product if they want to be successfull, just like with any other industry.

9. I don't know about that man, think about it. I'm pretty sure MMJ in CO is cheaper than out here so that's why it could possibly work in CO, but in CA good weed at the club will cost you around 280/300 per zip (it can go as high as 360/400). The same quality weed will cost you 200/220 on the street. There's almost no way you could buy weed from the club and then flip it for a profit.

Besides, half the clubs out there got no clue what they're talking about when they have a strain name. At one specific club, whenever a vendor would come in without the full genetics on a strain, the manager would look at it, smell it, maybe smoke a bowl, then slap a strain name on it. So that "Trainwreck" at the club might not even be Trainwreck at all... This is why I don't get people that go ape shit over strain names. It doesn't matter where you get it from; there is a chance your strain name is the real deal, or there is a chance that it isn't. Either way, the genetics are probably really close so just relax and enjoy it.

One thing that really pisses me off though, is when people make a thread on GC about a specific strain... then ask other people what to expect from it. Seriously? Even if two people had an identical strain, the way it was grown would have such an impact, that in the end they might come out like 2 different strains.

10. I'm not saying I can 100% identify every pick up I get, but something like Blue Dream or Sour Diesel is just so unique and easy to recognize that I would know every time if I was getting legit BD or SD. But I agree, how the plant was grown is the ultimate factor in determining potency really. Any strain can smoke like crap if improperly grown, and vice versa. Also, some strains affect people completely differently too. Some people get paranoid from sativas, and some find them enjoyable. Some may get too tired from smoking heavy indicas, and some may not. Everyone's brain works differently.

11. That's true enough. I know for a fact that a couple of my connects get some from an op I work at from time to time out west (and im in the south east). More medical = higher likelihood of legit strains on the street too

12. Yeah, but my point is you don't if it's Blue Dream or Blue Dream mixed with a little something else. Generally I can get an idea of what it is by smelling it, but I have no clue if it's pure or it's got other strains in it. I have GDP right now, but it smells slightly different than the other GDP's I've gotten (they all have slightly different undertones when it comes to the smell). I may not be as good at identifying strains, but basically my point is that some clubs aren't really 100% accurate when it comes to strains.

13. Then those clubs are noobs and need to step their game up lol. The place i frequent most, actually bred most of the strains they carry, so they know the genetics are what they say they are.... when you can semi legally grow it (federally not legal obviously) you should definitely know exactly what your growing or your running a poor business

14. Because they are. Ive made them up before to make some highschool kids go ape shit. If you dont know the grower you dont know shit.

15. So you say every single person who doesnt know a grower has never had a legit strain?

I highly disagree

16. The thing is the strain names are all legit. You can make up a strain name and it be legit if you breed the bud. But nowadays with some many hybrids white rhino can be purple, gran daddy purp can be white, and blue dream can be brown. That doesnt mean its not a legit strain it just means it is probably crossed somewhere down the line.

17. I assume all them to be random shit unless its from few selective dealers I know which are one step below grower, or if a friend buys it for me medical MJ.

18. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rvS9tPL530&feature=related]YouTube - ‪WWE The Rock It doesn't matter what you think 2011‬‏[/ame]

19. No i dont say that at all. Im saying unless you do know the grower there is really know way to know 100%. I live in non-mmj and the only bud ive gotten that i knew the strain for sure was some white rhino and alaskan thunderfuck.. I didnt know the grower but my friends mom did.

20. I agree with you 100%. The shitty thing is there are a lot of clubs out there that are just trying to make money, and do what I described (buy from a vendor and not know exactly what the strain is). It's always nice to have a club with knowledgeable people (not dumb strippers) who have genuine concern for their customers, but the reality is most clubs are not like that, at least in my area.