Why do people say super lumens are pointless?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by WindowSillDude, Nov 2, 2018.

1. #1 WindowSillDude, Nov 2, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    I use the super lumens feature on my Omega 600w ballast. I always use Omega. And here's why ... because the engineers who produce these ballasts and bulbs know far more than I do. And anyone arguing that bulb life will diminish ... that's hardly an argument. I switch bulbs every crop anyway because a bulb isn't expensive (unless you're really short on cash).

The cost of a bulb vs. the increased benefits of the extra wattage is hardly anything to worry about.

What's the cost of a good bulb? $100 tops. How much more production will you reap? In theory an additional 60 grams if you boost the 600w to 660w. If I was to pay for my cannabis that's 3 ounces. As a medicinal grower and smoker it's far more beneficial to have more meds throughout the next crop for little extra cost.

Now unless I'm actually missing something why is there always a war between people trying to prove that super lumens feature is pointless?

2. I have been wondering about the Super Lumens setting on my 600 watt Vivosun. Only vegging on 400 watt setting but gonna use 600 for flower... maybe even Super Lumens depending on what others say. On first grow so still unsure.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I'm using Super Lumens on my 1000w HPS, but I didn't use it wth my 1000w MH in veg because I forgot about the feature I think(100% power used). Producing very nice results in flowering atm.

• Like Like x 2
  4. I have a lumtec 400w ballast and a hi-par 600w ballast. I only use the boost switch when my bulb is getting old, to compensate for the spectrum dropping of. Any hid bulb run at less than 100% power is probably not burning hot enough to give the correct spectrum either.

5. My lumtec ballast its not recommended to use super lumens with mh bulbs

6. Lumens are the measurement of light output that is visible to the human eye. PAR (photosynthetic active radiation) is the light radiation which plants "see" to photosynthesize. What you want in your lighting is something that is over 500 µmol/s.

7. Winner:weed:

8. Can I add why do people say super lumens are pointless the same reason why people say cannabis is a dangerous drug. uneducated misinformed poor souls. We can only pray for such individuals.

9. Get quantum boards
    Don’t have to mess with super lum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @ I love growing weed

10. Might as well get cob led then

11. Or get the Cob Killer

Qb96elite V2 engine. Cobs aren’t as efficient as Quantum boards either.

Soil2Coco’s Multi Strain Journal

• Like Like x 1
  12. Somebody mentioned this to me the other day the cob killer sounds rather interesting and will be looking around.

• Like Like x 2
  13. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. I have to defoliate again today. Starting week 3 today. Seems like once a week defol with these lights in scrog

• Like Like x 1
  15. I have to dig into a NLA[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @ I love growing weed

• Like Like x 3
  16. Really nice hunter bro

• Like Like x 1
  17. The only pro that COBs have over QB is the ability to withstand heat better due to there ceramic nature.

So in theory they can last longer. But nobody's bitching about QB burning out either.

• Informative Informative x 1