Why do people love MMORPG's so much?!

Discussion in 'General' started by SatanVEVO, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Just a thought... I've been wondering what's so enticing about WoW and Minecraft and other such games... I just switched to a brand new Macbook after having a stone-age Linux box for a few years, so naturally I've been dying to try out every fucking game I can get my hands on... I've been wondering what there was besides emulators and FPS's, so I decided to investigate the world of MMORPG's... and I just don't see why they're THAT big... Meaning I don't understand how people get addicted to WoW and shit lol... I mean I realize that everyone's different and has their own things or whatever but damn... I can't get into something like that... lol

2. #2 Ralta, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2011

Expansion packs at least with WoW...
    PvP is the more addictive part I found. Doing public quests and shit too; I always liked doing that, and guild stuff as well...

Still, its been a year and I haven't used one. Other stuff that needed doing took priority though.

3. dude I don't know anyone that loves mmorpgs...

4. first off minecraft is not an mmorpg, if anythingit's more fun on singleplayer...

but anyway, idk what it is about mmorpgs...i was big into runescape for a while, but for me it was the fact that i could show off my cool stuff to people. Also you could be doing a quest or something random and run into someone and strike up a conversation with them in the middle of nowhere....

idk man its just cool

ps srry im sorta drunk and typing in the dark

5. Why do people love FPS's so much same shit over and over again

6. Thats your first problem.

Those games are very addictive. Theres just so much to do, and you're playing with thousands of other people. Whats not to like?

7. also trolling is hella fun on those games. I used to run around screaming RUNESCAPPEEEE!!! regaurdless of what game i was playing at the time

8. idk bout other people but when i played games like that or just free roam games in general, which they are to i guess, its the freedom in the game to do what u want, and not go by a specific storyline or anything like that,

9. I would always dance for money or ask were the nearest mcdonald's was

10. lol whaddaya meean that's my problem?! dont tell me you're a windows guy :eek: lol... I've always been into Linux, and I was pretty uneasy about switching over to a mac, but between being an avid Linux user, as well as having to get viruses off my friend's windows boxes countless times, I'd say OSX is by far my favorite OS :hello:

11. Well thing is, I've never actually played any so much as watched some of my friends play, and watched videos... Anyone know of some good open source/ free ones I could test out? lol

12. runescape free trial has got alot for an mmo, its more than just fighting like WoW, but its alot of grinding (like all mmos) you can play as long as you want with limited content for free

wows got a 10 day trial too

13. #13 SmokinJoe420, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Baby quest a lot.

14. lol yeah windows guy, but we wont get into that;)

Bottom line, Mac isnt a gaming computer, unless you are duel booting

15. its a fucking adventure thats why:hello:

16. Because wow is just awesome ^.^ its fun once you do raids and such

17. Yeah... I'll agree that it isn't really a gaming computer, but there's still alot of games you can play on here... On Linux, I hade Wine, which allows you to run windows applications and it worked great, so if there was a windows only game I could get it working on Linux usually... I got Wine for mac, and nothing fucking works, and I usually have to end up restarting my computer -_- lol I was thinking about triple booting with Ubuntu, windows 7 and OSX, of course... But I'll always be a *nix guy :eek: lol. How much is windows 7 to actually buy? lol

18. MMORPG's are social games, that's where most of the fun comes from for most people, chatting, questing with people, raids, showing off ect.ect. Not to mention in good MMO's there's so much content whether it be item wise or story wise. I've always been an avid fan of D&D.

I guess it really comes down to the individual

19. because it allows you to live vicariously through a character that represents you

too deep? :laughing:

i been into my fair shair of MMO's and i really think that's a big part of the appeal if we're gonna get real in this thread.

20. oh god how could i forget?

Economy, mmos often have their own econmy.

Before they fucked it up, runescape s economy was 100% player run, so you set the prices and advertised items and materials in certain areas of the world. This also opened the doors to scamming a bargains and other fun things. cetain items were limted edition or really rare and would have insane price tags, but that would make it funner for some reason...

this is one of the major reasons why i thought runecape was funner than Wow, IMO

again, sorry for the shit spelling and grammar