Why do people laugh at creationists?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by mels, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Sorry the bible is the most disgusting book I have ever read, if stoning to death unruly teenagers and god sending crazied animals to kill a class of school children is you're idea of a suprise then I agree. Also I don't understand this notion of science updating its facts being a problem.

2. This is exactly why prohibition still exists! Because there are way too many ppl out there with ideas like that! Say what you want about politicians and they're motive; there are a ton of fundamentalists out there... and it seems like more everyday. And they complain a lot and very loudly. I would say these people are usually not very educated on the facts... oubviously...and even if they were they wouldn't be facts but rather facs they want to cite... as seen in these videos... and politicians are either of this type or are obliagated to represent them. Scary how a system can be forced to perpetuate a policy it should be fundamentally opposed to because of ignorance and obligation to that ignorance.

3. I didn't check out the link because I honestly don't care a shred. But I laugh at creationist because.

I think it's silly you think a creator can create everything, EVERYTHING. When you say everything, the creator is in the category. So how can a creator create itself? That my friends is just simply not possible in any way shape or form. Can nothing create more nothing? Or does it just remain a lot of nothing? Everything exists forever, no begining, no end. Cycles.

4. Often times people dismiss the Big Bng theory simply because it comes from nowhere. well i was watching 'The Universe', and they said they basically know what caused the Big Bang, but with the cause comes so many more questions. So imagine the universe as we kno it does have an end, one that is always getting further from us, but it is there. well imagine that this end is a kind of membrane, that covers the entire edges of the universe, which is always getting further away. so the universe is a kind of bubble, with a membrane holding it in. now we dont know what is outside these bubbles we call a universe, but some how they managed to figure out that there are infinite amounts of parrallel universes outside our universe, all with the same basic membrane properties of our universe. so supposedly everytime the membranes of two universes touch eachother, the big band occurs, and another univers is born, right in between the ones that touched. thats what all the main phycisists got together and decided was the most probable theory, i cannot elaborate anymore, because i would have to have some crazy understanding of everything else in physics and astronomy, but crazy shit none the less. P.S. to those who want to tell me that this is only a theory, I KNOW.

5. Well, actually Dankman, what you outlined as a possible cause for the Big Bang isn't a theory, but a hypothesis :)

And to clear up some misconceptions I've seen floating around in this thread;

Big Bang as it were is proven beyond any doubt. Just like we can say with good certainty that the earth is a sphere, we can say with the same certainty that some 13.7bn years ago, our universe "popped" into existence followed by a huge and seriously fast period of inflation. From the first fraction of a second of our universe coming to existence we know much of what went on. Not all, but we got the gist of it.

As for what caused the Big Bang, if indeed there even was a cause per se, we do not know. We can only speculate, make hypothesis. We got quite the few hypothesis already, but it is thus far an open question as to if we can ever prove any of them.

Personally I'm a big fan of the Brane hypothesis of superstring theory (hypothesis really), which goes much in the vein Dankman outlined in his post. But you won't catch me asserting it as a fact, unlike religionists and their god hypothesis of infinite regress.