Why do people have the need to impose*RANT*

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Indi420, May 3, 2009.

1. #1 Indi420, May 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2009
    Lately I've been reading a ton of anti Christan and religion things on GC.

Why do people feel the need to try and push their shit on me because I think my brother, sister and dad are in heaven living happily.

If I want to believe something then let me and back the fuck up seriously.

Why can't people put aside differences and be friends Why do people need to call Christians names just because we think something different than you.

Don't get me wrong I'm not a super church boy by any means. What I say to god is between me and him. I don't go to church, I don't push my shit on other people, I just quietly live my life peacefully. Why am I such a bad person for this?

I have friends of many different races, religions and morality's but we all get along no matter what we believe because we are all mature adults who understand there is more to a person than their religion and we live our lives as friends despite some differences. We do not feel the need to harass or try to dis-prove what each other thinks. We just have a good time and let each other live their life the way they want to live it.

I get so much shit when I say I believe in god on GC, it just feels really immature of some people.

We need to put aside differences and live our lives the way we want. Not everyone is going to feel the same way about life as you do. Humans are like that we all have different thought patterns and feelings. Why can we not just leave it at that and show respect for what another person belevies or feels?

Sorry for the rant and if it is typed weird its because I'm super baked right now.

I know there are christans out there who judge and try to push religion on other people but the same can be said for atheisem, I'm smart enough to know that not everyone is the same and everyone should get an equal chance at being themselves. A lot of people need to learn not to judge someone so fast.

I don't think all atheists are bad people who try to push shit on me, because I have friends who are and they have respect for other people reguardless of what they feel.

Who's business is it anyways? Why do people care so much what others think, christans and atheists alike harassing each other non stop fighting over everything hating each other before even learning each others names.

Does anyone agree with me?
    ]

2. I agree to an extent. I don't think anyone should be insulted for what they belive in, god or not, but I think everything is up for debate. If you belive something you should be able to explain why, otherwise it's just blind faith, and I don't find that to be very healthy. People tend to get really defensive when their beliefs are questioned. I say good. You should question everything.

Religion and politics in essence are pointless to argue about, because nobody will ever be right. But we have words, so why not use them?

3. Well the problem is prevalent on both sides. The Christians in America are very dominating, especially in politics. They feel that because they have faith, they should be able to impose their moral/reilgous choices onto everyone. For example, because Christianity condemns abortion, the christians in America feel like in order to save the heathens from their godless decisions they should illegalize Abortion, etc...
    Conversely, because the non-believers feel like the Christians are imposing their morals upon them, and introducing religous beliefs into government, that they need to act outspokenly agains the Christians.

So, as you can see, it is a two-sided problem. Moral of the story? Get along with others, keep your moral decisions and leanings your own.

4. ^^^ Agreed, both sides are a bunch of assholes.

5. I made it very very clear that it is two sided, but just because some christans and athesits disagree and fight does not mean all of them do. The stero-types surrounding each group is disgusting at best, the fact that both sides attack each other non stop, at every chance they get.

But that does not mean every atheist hates christans or every christan hates athesiem.
    It also doesn't mean we need to immediatley judge and label other people because they share a few different views.

It's like sayin every german is a nazi just because there are a few who are, you kinda get what im saying?

6. Not everyone wants to debate man some of us just want to live our lives in peace.

It's hard to not get insulted when someone says something about my dead family members not being in any after life, I take it as a direct insult against my family and always will.

I just want to live my life with out the persecution from others.

Hell we could debate why milk chocolate is better than dark chocolate all day and night. Just because you can debate something doesn't mean you should every chance you get.

I should not have to constantly defend my beliefs, Just let be believe them.

Sure there are debates and there is nothing wrong with that at all. But judging someone and feeling the need to attack them because they think differently than you do is terrible.

7. #7 Sam_Spade, May 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2009
    Because this is a discussion forum. The whole idea of this is to exchange thoughts and ideas.

If your outlook is genuine, then you should have no issue facing dissent.

If you don't wish for others to comment on your personal convictions, then maybe you should be more careful where you share them. What else would you propose -- administrative censorship?

I keep many aspects of my worldview to myself, because exactly that; I don't wish to debate them with the fine folks of the online drug community.

8. You're right, insulting someone for their beliefs is completely pointless and thoughtless... But discussing the point is fine - we're on a forum after all, that's pretty much what we do. I mean, if you start a thread about religion, you're gonna get both theists and atheists replying back, you can't have just the one you agree with more, so there's always gonna be discussion... good, healthy discussion :D as H20420 said, question everything

9. Right I agree with both of you 100%. We are on a forum but there are people who are so quick to judge others because of 1 thing they say.

Like so.

:)Hi im a christan

:cool:You're also a retard evoultion is 100% fact stupid.

:) You can't prove anything dickhead. fuck you and your shitty morality.

:cool: Hey fuck you too.

For all we know these two people could be best friends but choose to judge each other instantly instead of learn about the person they're speaking to.

I see things like this everyday. Respect for other people is something this world is lacking.

But a good discussion on the issues is great, however insulting and harassing people is not ok.

If you want to have debate have it in a civilized and respectful manner toward the man you are speaking to.

People can still debate and be friends.

10. the thing people have to understand. Is that this is an internet forum based on marijuana ok?
    There are all kinds of people on this forum from all over the world. People will disagree and hate on each other while others will give advice and comfort.
    If i want to say "fuck you and your religion" then i will. If i want to write some kind of comforting, helpful essay then i will too.

The key is to just not get worked up over stupid shit. Just because we are all brought together by marijuana doesn't mean that we all like eachother. I wish it were that way but it isnt, and as soon as people realize this the better.

11. ...exactly? Isn't that a bit ironic?

12. I know exactly how you feel OP. Right now I live in a small town and it is a very religious community. You can't go a mile without running into a church. Every time someone mentions something about God, or asks me what I think about God I tell them I don't believe in God in the way they do, and right from there they feel the need to "save my soul". They all feel the need to try to force what they believe on me, and bash what I choose to believe or not believe. I don't see why people can't just take what you say, and live their own life without trying to push what they want on everyone else. I mean honestly, what does it matter what someone believes? If believing in God helps someone get through the day, fine. I someone wants to believe in a giant cookie that you get to eat when you die, that's fine too, whatever helps you get though the day. I just wish people wouldn't try to force what they believe on other people. I wish people could just let people believe what they want to believe.

13. Hey brother, let me simplify this for you, what you're going through has little or nothing to do with your actual beliefs. Human beings as a species, people, us, everyone, or whatever you want to classify us as, are petty. Also, this is a public forum yo, if you put yourself out there into cyberspace, don't do so under the assumption that you're alone and won't receive a strong reaction, you aren't and you will. There are many people out there from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. Stop a minute and ask yourself, is it completely reasonable for you to expect respect given those conditions?

14. Me ANGRY!!! Me IMPOSE!!!!

15. other people dont agree with you deal with it, if you dont like what others say either prove them wrong or ignore it

16. I am against anyone imposing their religion in general, but no one is going to take you seriously unless you rant neutrally. There are JUST as many people posting about how Atheism is wrong and Christianity is right, so lets just make this clear eh? Anyways, for the question of why people feel they need to impose their religion, not just Atheism (in reality though, it's usually the Christian branches doing the imposing), is because they think they are more enlightened, and spreading 'joy' to others 'in the dark'. Nobody can argue that Christians do it the most. Of all religions, Christian do the most door-to-door work, the most missionary trips and the most religion-endorsed events (usually to blatantly draw people in with cool gimmicks at the cost of sitting through a sermon.

17. OP, I agree with you. I'm an atheist myself, but I neither believe nor disbelieve; I believe that there possibly might be a God as it really can't be 100% debunked by science nor other non-christian/islamic religion. It also can't be 100% confirmed that science is right; truthism has an (though far-fetched) explanation why science is wrong. Nothing can really be 100% confirmed, max. 99.[infinite number of 9-decimals] confirmed, which isn't enough for me to actually believe anything blindly (not saying that you're a blind believer). Therefore, I really don't believe in anything, though I choose to pick science above the other, as it seems more logical to me.

People should just be happy that every individual is different from one another. I mean, how lame would it be if the world was populated by you, some animals and 6 billion clones of you? If everyone were truly 100% similar, everyone would do the same movements at the same time, think the same thoughts and be at the exact same spot as you so basically it would only be you, lol.

Seriously, though, I think people should stop being dickheads about this. Also generally on this forum - people are so busy calling everyone else idiots that they don't notice they've become an even greater one themselfs..

• Like Like x 1

18. This. Well played offended christian card might i add. Some of us want to discuss topics and you are trying to get us to stop talking about it. I'm on the internet, how can impose myself on anyone? If someone doesn't listen to me, so what, not like in real life when i try and do something on a sunday and everything is fucking shut cos people believe in a god and believe sunday is the day of rest. Some of us see through bullshit and don't wanna be told how they can live their life or whether they are a good or bad person based on a bloody book, thats all.

19. You're not the kind of Christian those criticisms are generally aimed at.

Many Christians are like you. Many are not; some are hateful evil bastards. People who make anti-Christian comments are generally focusing on the latter kind and don't even know you exist exactly because the latter get in the news by being loud, obnoxious, and hateful, and you are not in the news because you aren't doing anything.

That right there is your problem.

What do you think the Internet is, civilized? ;)

20. I've actually had a completely different experience than the OP both online and in life.

I don't advertise my beliefs, and I generally try to avoid these discussions altogether, but these posts (that seem to pop up on every single forum I've ever read) claiming that Christians are being persecuted because of their faith have been bugging me for a while. I see way more posts claiming that Christians are being attacked than I see actual attacks. In fact, IMHO, most of the threads are started to provoke nonbelievers. I don't know why, it baffles me. I don't understand how people who follow the dominant religion in this country act as if they are a small minority that's being subjugated to unfairness. I'm not saying this is the OP's intent, I have no way of knowing.

I do believe that everyone has a right to have a faith if they want one. Personally, I'm Agnostic. I was raised in the Christian faith with many changes along the way because my father couldn't find the church that fit him best. So my experience started with Lutheran, then went to Methodist, Baptist, Assembly of God, and then a ton of non-denominational Born Again Christian churches.

I've felt the pressure that many Christians place on the nonconformists. When I was 13 I had a preacher tell me (and the whole church) that I was possessed with demons because I refused to "go out under the power of Jesus" when he called me to the front of the church. I've had people tell me that i'm a sinner and going to hell. I've had people tell me that my life has no value. I've even had people treat me as inferior because I don't believe what they do. None of these people were Muslims, Jews, Budhists, or any other faith: they were Christians.

Online, i've seen three different forums that I read or used to read, be completely overrun with zealots. Some were Christians, some were conspiracy theorists, and some were just assholes. I've seen them band together and attack those who disagree with them. Eventually people get sick of it and leave.

I've received countless emails filled with hatred for people who don't support christian causes (because they accidentally thought I was one of them). I get emails filled with lies and disinformation from people who call themselves Christians. I don't understand why a Christian would be ok with these tactics as it goes against their faith.

I've also known some really cool people who are Christian. My father is a great person. I've seen Christians do some amazing things to help others, and serve their beliefs. There are assholes on both sides of the argument and I see plenty of both, but I do feel that if anyone is IMPOSING it's the Christians who are telling me that they have the right to tell me what I should do, when I believe it should be between me and god if he/she does exist.