Why Do People Donate Money To Their Church?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by TLF1088, Mar 8, 2009.

1. If god really wanted it to stay open wouldn't he do something about it?

2. If he was real then he would have some splainin to do on why weed is still illegal.

3. He is , lol he has people donate Duh! lol

4. because the church wants money.

5. Churches need money to function.
    It's not like God will just create bundles of money so that people can worship him.

6. Because they're told to.

by the people who receive their money

7. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwfMT7hcF-0"]YouTube - KoRn - Hypocrites (unedited)[/ame]

8. Both parents (Mormons) give up 10% in tithing. Let's just say that it is something we don't talk about anymore. I tried to convince them that they should continue donating, but directly to a credible source. Disease research, starving children.. something. They're completely content with giving it to the church, who, doesn't release statements on how donations are spent... continues to build big-ass fucking temples (for what)...

And to put a cherry on top of this bullshit, Joseph Smith and Brigham Young were Masons... sweet.

9. Relic from the serfdom of the dark ages.

Why do people continue? Tradition.

10. Hello...

Churches aren't funded by the government.

They have rent, upkeep, sound equipment, and pamphlets and other materials to pass out. All these things cost money.

People who like going to church understand that in order for the church to keep on living they have to help out with funds.

11. except they don't have to pay tax, which is basically like getting partially funded by the government

12. If there is a God in the image we tend to imagine he never intervenes as far as I know. I don't believe in God but I go to church on Sundays for a variety of reasons, such as meeting women and friends, networking, and to learn about the religion. So far, churches can be a positive influence in society as long that the Pastor and other leaders are decent people and stay out of politics of course. THe job of pastor and staff is a demanding one, and requires higher level education, so giving them adequate compensation from the donations of the people who choose to attend is just, no?