Why do people dance?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by jayfoxpox, Apr 23, 2013.

1. What exactly does dancing express? It does'nt seem to be delivering any kind of coherent message.
    As demonstrated in playing the same dance routine to two different songs.
    original
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0LXttjdEn8]Shakthi - Thaliya Thaliya - YouTube[/ame]

a different song
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDHCLjuOzXY]Shingeki no Kyojin opening - YouTube[/ame]

as demonstrated at how hilariously fitting the dance is , it demonstrates that a dance does'nt deliver a complete message , but a partial one to augment compatible message.

2. This seems like a question that doesn't need to be asked. It is a means of expression, and I'm sure that there would be messages to 'decipher' within a dance if you wanted to find them.

3. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4d7Wp9kKjA]David Bowie - Let's Dance - YouTube[/ame]

4. i feel like freestyle dancing is the purest ways of expressing the beat of the music, for example i love to dance to techno, and when i freestyle dance it just comes out without me having to think what to do, you just listen to the music and your body reacts hows it feels and hears it idk thats what it is for me. i dont think the is anything expressive about choreographed shit

5. because it feels good man. it's awesome, you just vibe out. you should try it.

6. Because sometimes a techno, trance, drum and bass, etc beat is so phat you gotta let it take control. :)

7. Have you ever slowed danced with someone you love? when you do this you find the answer.

8. While I have a more calculating outlook on emotions, this is pretty true. It's true throughout nature.. Many animals perform some kind of dance ritual to attract a mate, and some animals are capable of loving that mate. Some even include a song and dance, something to attract those you want to attract. It gets written all the way down into the genes; same for us, just a lot more developed and involved.

9. Its fucking tribal!
    The beat moves you....you don't move to it....

Of coarse....the closest i come to dancing is in the mosh pit....

But seriously...there is nothing like standing in the center of the pit....
    No one on there feet for several feet in any direction...screaming for them to get up and try like hell to get some more!!!!!!

I don't care for county music.... some friends took me to a county bar...
    After a few shots of tequela.... i started a mosh pit...on the line dance floor....
    It was fucking great!
    Cowboys flying in every direction....
    You should have seen their faces....

Of coarse...i got asked politely to leave.....
    The bouncers all came over and asked real nice together.... i explained how i didn't really want to be there in the first place....and would be glad to leave....

10. Allows me to deeply connect with the moment and music,, it awakens a new sense of being.

11. #11 esseff, Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2013
    While I see those who are able to let go completely, who aren't there to pose their way around, I lean towards Manti's view on this. It must have at its core a sexually attractive element, even if we don't have to acknowledge it, or even make it any part of why we're doing it. You can't deny that many people 'pull' in such places, and in the same way that people dress nice, put on make up, when they go out, it all forms part of the mating ceremony. For those not looking for a mate (or already have one) they can explore far more of the feelings that becoming tribal and letting inhibitions go produce. Personally I've hardly ever chosen to go to such places, certainly not without being in an altered state, but I prefer a more shamanic approach to experiencing sound and rhythm with others. One that would involve being outside, around a fire perhaps, and has a spiritual intention and exploration about it.

12. No no no no. It has nothing to do with anything sexual I think you guys might just be watchin too many twerk videos lately XD

I believe it has to do with humans natural attraction to patterns. If you know anything about music, you know about tempo. The beats per minute. Whatever you wanna call it.

We like to use energy to express our mood! All the time! Attaching movement to a beat is the perfect way to release this energy especially when your in a good mood. Alot of dancing has to do with being in sync with the same pattern as everyone else. That's why dancing takes coordination to look cool haha because you have to match your movements with the tempo or else you are off sync with the rest of the dancers XD

13. to release energy

14. Remember it's not this OR that, it's going to be this AND that. I agree with your point about the patterns, expressing energy, etc. But these are things that happen as a result of being in a place primarily designed to bring the two sexes together. You can't just dismiss the sexual element, the mating element, just because you are right about the energy and patterns. This and that.

15. Totally know what your getting at sorry for coming off like i'm arguing haha i agree. My point is just saying the dancing could exist in a non-sexual environment

But yea sometimes girls at the club like to shake their ass to get attention from dudes. And sometimes I do dance to get attention from girls! You could defiantly have sexual intent and energy being expressed through the beat... but sometimes i dont give a fuck about anyone else i just wanna dance! haha

16. I have been known to dance to my own rhythm, in many ways, and have felt to move to music when nobody else really is, as people are listening at an open air festival or street performers, etc. I might do it with my eyes closed, and don't care what others think or whether I'm 'in sync' with other's movements or not. I just enjoy the music and express myself gently in my own way.

17. and how many times would you go out and dance at a place that was just male only? ;)

There is something about the movement and connection with the beat/rhythm that gives off a sexually attractive vibe. People have been finding ways of touching, gyrating or just coming as close as custom will allow for ever. It is a kind of foreplay. Always has been.

18. #18 Auz, Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2013
    hell yea that's when you get down to the raw dancing. i've seen people on mushrooms at music festivals being moved by the music where they're all in there own state of mind and to everyone else they look crazy but when you talk to them they'll swear it's one of the most awesome feelings to just move to the music... damn this thread reminds me of some sick times in the desert ahaha

Honestly I've danced in the room by myself. Or when a bunch of my friends are in the car. Sometimes it's all dudes and we'll be rockin out all ridiculous while were stuck at stoplights to get other people to look and laugh. Sex has a lot to do with how we act but you don't have to always gotta be tryin to fuck XD it's not like were need to reproduce

19. Nice.

I like your style my man.

Agreed. But I still doubt you'd go to a club you knew wouldn't have women there. The sexual element is quite an important aspect, even if you're evolved enough to appreciate the higher aspects of the music itself. I'm not saying you couldn't enjoy yourself as long as your mates were around as you do in the car, but you might move on pretty quick to where there was something more interesting to look at than your buddies.

20. In a general manner of speaking I don't have much to add to what's been said but for me it is quite simple. It's a method of bringing that inner part of me to the moment as for me to experience that part of me in the present the way I know I've always been able to, unencumbered.

Tribal is a good word, connected, mindless, selfless, primal, synchronous, timeless. The spirit, soul, flame... kindred, ephemeral, eternal... exposed, radiant, free.